Help!! my DD refuse to eat porridge!

dinida

hi mommies,

my DD is gng to be 10 months tomorrow...this past few days she's been very fussy and refuse to eat porridge..even after i introduce something new in her porridge e.g. chicken..

what could be the problem? what else can i feed her besides porridge??
:embarrassed:

Phoebii Cheng

Maybe you can try giving her cereals with pureed fruits or veges....or egg yolk (don't give the white), you can try oatmeal too

Or you can give her those bottled food like heinz or gerber? see the appropriate age groups

Or could it be oso ur porridge is too thick?

annie

some babies are just picky eaters. like my girl.. but im a bit more lucky as she suddenly become picky only around 1 yr old.. it could be the texture that she dosent like so u can try to make it less watery or more watery. or it might be that she dosent like her meat/veg to be mix into the porridge all of a sudden or watsoever. or she might just be sick of porridge so u can try oatmeal, brown rice porridge, noodle, bee hoon, macaroni, pasta etc etc. play around n see wat she likes. their preference change very often... just got to keep catching up with them..

my girl used to love oatmeal n i give her every morning for breakfast till one day she decided to stop it altogether. till now (after 4mths), she still dosent take it.. she used to love eggs no matter how i cook it as well but these few days she seem to hate it.. so i stop making it also.. she used to love bread but suddenly hate it too then recently started to take it again but few days ago she started to hate it again. oh well~ ive tried those bottled food n she totally dun take to them.. then i give her outside food she also dun seem to like it.. take only a few mouth thats it..

Last edited:

sugarcookie

Babies are fickle. Like what annie said, their preferences keep changing.

Maybe you can try giving something else for a while like cereals, pasta, macaroni etc.

Then after a week, revert to porridge and see how it goes.

If your child still doesn't like it, try not to stress too much. Continue giving her a variety of nutritious food.

meiteoh

Babies are very much like little adults - they have their own taste and preference (but only after a while of starting solids). While they still get most of their nutrients from milk (BM or FM) and therefore, them rejecting certain foods is nothing to worry about, how I look at it is this - it's important to still intro them to a variety of foods instead of just giving them favourites. This is a form of discipline, so to speak.

I mean you don't have to make them finish a bowl of their not-so-favourite cereal but they should still have to take some spoonfuls of the stuff in order for this message to sink in - "Just because you don't like it doesn't mean you don't have to eat it". I have seen too many babies grow up into toddlers with bad eating habits especially when it comes to veg.

This is where your ingenuity and creativity as a parent comes in. If she doesn't like porridge, play around with the texture and how you serve it. If it's rice porridge that she doesn't like, maybe try serving her soft rice. If she doesn't like purees, then opt for finger food, lumpy items and so forth. If she doesn't like it mixed together, then maybe serve them separate or less mixed in.

But really don't worry. :)

annie

meiteoh, sometimes its easier said than done. u know ive tried what u mentioned, to give her a varierty of healthy food so she will be able to take the nutrients etc but she dun even open her mouth at all! she just reject and reject.. or at most 1 mouth.. so end up 3 whole weeks she is not eating! a few mouth here and there and she lost 600g.. when a baby is not picky, its easy to give them a variety of healthy food but when a baby is really picky, its not as easy. if u want her to grow well, u have to give her her fav. comparing disipline and not eating, which will u choose? i rather she remain picky into adulthood but at least she is eating well...sometimes not everything can be controlled by parents..

luckily my girl still eats veg. she dun quite like fruits so i dun really give it to her.. and she is picky on her veg as well. she hates carrots(though i give her often when she was younger) and if i give her carrots now, she spit out. if i mix into her fav veg, she reject the whole bowl of veg...now she is maninly on broccoli and spinach for her veg...

meiteoh

I know it can be tough but maybe coz hubby and I came from different schools so we look at things very differently.

I used to hate eating veg and my father would blend everything together like porridge/puree until cannot tell which is which and feed it to me. Then as I got older, they use reverse psycho - "If want this (fav food), must eat some of that (hated foods)". Then I got older, they used hardcore tactics - "If dun like, put some more. Make noise, add more. If don't eat, you starve." Army guy so discipline oso army styled. :/

One of my friends also has a pretty fussy toddler (her girl is two plus) and sometimes getting her to eat is really challenging so what my friend does is crack her head like crazy over what to feed her daugther, eg pastas, stews, and so forth...very adult dishes.

ANYWAY, ultimately, each baby is different so you do the best you can. You won't be a crappy mother if you're feeding favourites to your child - by favourites, I mean things like only meat and no veg or just rice alone. That's unhealthy and that was what happened to my ex's sister. Her parents grew up giving her just meats with very little fruits and virtually no veg. Only when she had bad constipation (recently) would she eat more fruits but still no veg. When I went out for dinner with the entire family, she eats first so she would dig around in the dishes for just the meats and leave the veg behind which I find is rude. For me, as long as you have SOME food items from each food group, that's still okay.

So really, if you have tried everything and it still doesn't work, don't feel bad. You've done your best, k? :)

annie

whahhah your fren sound so much like.........ME! i dun eat veg..lol my mum dun cook veg at hm when we were younger so i grew up on carbo and meat only.. so when im outside i also pick out the veg n put aside which i know is rude but i really cant bring myself to eat tat.. i do try to eat always but still i will leave some at the side cos i cant finish squeezing them into my mouth lol.

my girl eats a balance diet of veg, meat and carbo(i make sure she gets a balance diet). if she dosent take veg today i will give her pure veg or fruit juice to drink instead so anyway she will be getting a balance diet everyday. its just tat she is picky on what veg she takes... she dosent seem to like alot of veg..maybe perhaps if i change a way to cook them she might eat but since now ive found out what veg she likes, i will just cook those till she get sick of them n i see how hehe.

today my mother in law came n she was saying i should not force or cheat my girl into eating her porridge if she dun wan to cos i will give her a negative impression on porridge and she might hate porridge in future and also she will eat if she is hungry thus no need to cheat her to eat.. this, i agree as ive read in books saying the same thing BUT ive tried and failed! Ive always respected my girl's sign when she is full and stoppd giving her food when she shows signs of being full before 1yr old cos she eats alot.. so i dun mind if she dun clear her bowl or skip a meal if she dun feel like eating etc.. but then after she past 1yr old... she just dun eat much. a few mouth for lunch and a few mouth for dinner and i respected this too until she lost sooo much weight! for a whole of 3 weeks she is taking only 2-3 mouth of food per meal and survive only on milk and some bb biskuits and lost 600g! since then i try my best to cheat her into eating all her food and i stopped believing that they will eat when they are hungry.. dun tell me she 3 whole weeks not hungry? sometimes i feel when ppl dun bump into the problems, they dun really understand.. its like when your kid eat everything u give, u wont know the frutration and worries of feeding a picky bb. my hubby used to eat everything my mother in law made and he eats alot.. maybe thats y she can make such comments...

meiteoh

You know my dad's tactics - the whole "if you don't eat, i put somemore"? It was with beansprouts and as a toddler, according to my mum, I hated it! Now, it's one of my favourite veg. Bizarre, no? :p

Some babies can be darn stubborn and will starve rather than eat something they don't like. It's like guerilla warface sometimes. :(

After thinking about what you asked, you are right. If my baby is like that - stubborn type, die die oso won't eat, I'd give her favourites lor coz like you said, once in a while, it's okay but if she's the stubborn kind, a bit tough. Plus looking at what you're telling me, she's still getting a variety of nutrients so no biggies lor. My hubby's friend's kid....hai, that one eats only meats, and mashed potatoes (not homemade one - KFC type) and drinks 100 plus. Hates green veg and my hubby's friend doesn't see fit to change her diet. :/

Anyway, don't worry too much about people's comments (even mine) coz at the end of the day, you're still the one calling the shots and more importantly, you know your little one best. :)

dinida

hi all mommies,

sorry for the no reply..as was busy on weekends :)

anyway, i would like to thank all mommies for ur advices..to round it up, i gather that i should play around with the options, see which ones DD prefers..change the menu frequently so that she wont get bored ( ihv a feeling she gets bored of her food easily)..but ultimately must ensure that her feedings are nutritious (i.e. with meats n veges n required nutrients) :)

me actually also force my DD to eat her porridge, especially becoz i want her to get the nutrients and to eat the veges...i dont want her to refuse veges straight ..
i guess its really tough and we all mommies try our best..thanks to all again..i will update soon!

annie

its said that force feeding is not good but i guess no mummies will not worry if their kids dun take their food esp for many days so force feeding sometimes is 'no choice' hehe

Ting

for pin, if she dun like vege, she also know how to pick them out now..
but i will tell her, must eat, cos if she eat she will grow BIG n strong, n smart..
then she will eat.. but of cos, i try to feed her those yummier ones.. cos im a picky vege eater, i only take certain veges..