HELP! My son cannot sleep throughout the night!

tylann72

Hi mommies,

My son Jared is 20 months old. He has been sleeping alone in his own room since he was 14 months and it all went well, we are so proud and happy that he is happily sleeping in his own crib. But lately, he has been waking up in the middle of the night and asked to sleep with us in our room. As we do not want to wake the neighbours, we brought him to sleep with us and that's it, I would wake up every night and asked to go over to sleep with us!! This happened almost 1 month already. We have tried to tune him back but to no avail. I dunno whether is it because I am pregnant with my 2nd one he feels jealous or whatsover.

Thanks for your help.
Ann

lis

i guess it's normal for kids to act this way.. coz as time goes by, they will actually change in sleeping patterns etc.. so at the moment, maybe u can just follow suit.. then u can slowly persuade him to sleep in his own crib again..~ best of luck..!! *hugz*

The reason why he has been waking up & asking to sleep with you is because the first time it happened, you let him. and second time, third time, etc etc

Children need to be reminded that there are certain ways some things need to be done. If your goal is to teach him to sleep independently - by himself in his own room - then you will need to discipline yourselves to say no to him at night.

One thing you can do is if he wakes up & climbs into your bed, then you will have to carry him back to his bed and pat him back to sleep. Important thing to remember - he has to fall asleep in his own bed. This will train him subconsciously that 1. he has his own bed, 2. he needs to sleep in his own bed, and 3. mommy & daddy will not let him sleep in mommy & daddy's bed.

But you will have to be firm & disciplined in order to teach him this. It will take a few days to a week of maybe him crying and throwing tantrum middle of the night. But sooner or later when he realises that you are firm and will not give way to his "wants", he will accept the situation.

I face a lot of resistance from my DS about his sleeping as well, esp at night. But both my husband & I remain firm that when it's time to sleep, there are no negotiations (unless we wish to pamper him once in awhile let him stay up). So every night he will kick up a fuss & scream & tantrum. But after awhile he will still sleep. & he sleeps through the night. My DS is coming to 26 months.

Good luck!

Frenchkitty

after reading WeeFee's_Mummy's post, I think I'm hopeless!
My son is currently 16mths old but since 8mths old he has been demanding to co-sleep, and we just let him. Cos we dont see the harm of it, just squeezy for us that's all.. but on second toughts, we are getting our own home soon (now staying with in-laws).. and my son will have his own room..

I doubt he will wanna sleep alone in his bed, let alone a whole room. :err:

DodoTan

Sometimes, totally changing environment could work for you instead of against you. I suggest you let your son 'choose' the colours/curtains/bedsheets etc in his new room. Then put all of his toys in his new room and make it very attractive for him to want to be in the room. When it comes to naptimes and bedtimes, have him sleep in his new room from day 1, no exception. You can pat him, sing to him, tell story, play soft music, lie down next to him, etc. But once he is asleep, you walk away. It might not be easy at first but if you persist, I think it will be fine. You just need to assure him that you will be there for him once he wakes up and calls for you.

tylann72

Thank you for your advice. We tried to be persistence and don't let him has his way, he keeps whinning and crying. So what we did for the past 2 days was sleeping in his room with him. Tell him he has to sleep in his own bed but daddy and mummy is there too. Hopefully it works. However, I find he is feeling insecure because he will wake suddenly and ask mummy where are you?? So we can't really walk away after he fell asleep. I can only keep my finger crossed that he will get better by days.