HELP!! My son refuses to latch suddenly after 13 mth of bfing

igal_76

Hi mummies, anyone experienced this before? My son has had no problem with bfing until recently.
I used to let him latch from noon, overnight till early morning and my maid would feed ebm in a bottle while I slept from 7-11/12.

3 days ago:
Day 1
He suddenly refused to latch in the afternoon and insisted on bottle feed at home. He latched when I brought him out and also at night when he slept. Thank God!

Day 2
He refused again from for the whole day and ALSO at night! I was so worried!

Day 3
He refused in the afternoon again but when I brought him out, he latched 3 times, happiness and relief! However, back at home, same thing, refused to latch.

I'm very worried and feels rejected. He keeps shaking his head and pulls down my top, crying when I attempt to let him latch. He used to can't wait to pull up my top for his milk.

Pls advise!
Thanks!!

igal_76

Ahhh...he's on nursing strike... this is completely normal.. It's just a passing phase. :)

Hi! I came across the term after doing my research but couldnt seem to find any contributing factors. Luckily, it is indded a passing phase :Dancing_tongue:

What happened was
Day 4 refused to latch and didnt drink for 7 hours till we got home, imagine my heartache
Subsequently, a little struggle here and there but when my breast gets in his mouth, he starts drinking.
Today, finally quite stable, back to normal, happiness. Praise the Lord!!

But he demanded a lot of feeds these 2 days.
Today he latched around 7.30pm in the car, drank 4 oz and 5 oz upon home within the same hour. Slept but woke up 15-30min later, crying for milk and latched. Win! Haha