HELP! My toddler refuse to wear new clothes!

shiyi

my dotter is 3yo already yet she still prefers to wear her old clothes (serveral t-shirts only)
no matter what new clothes i buy she just rejects it and throws a huge tantrum. Have no choice but to give in to her and let her wear her old clothing.
Even swimming costumes she rejects. Told her that if she does not want to wear, we cant bring her out, but she still refuse to budge.
Any solution from you mummies will be appreciated.

ast0212

Normal behaviour :) I've heard some toddlers will wear the same shirt for a week, refusing anything else!

It does pass...I'd go ahead and let them choose since it isn't a big thing to stress or argue over :)

shiyi

Did you let her participate by choosing her own clothing?
she only choose that few tshirts that are supposed to be worn at home.
if we are going out for dinner she will reject all the new clothes.
even when i intend to bring her go swimming she refuses to wear her swimming costume!

woofy55

Being her out when you shop for her clothings? Let her choose it herself..? Maybe she has experienced uncomfy clothes before, my son refused to wear anything with buttons or studs at the collar when he was younger. Now that he's older, we asked him why and he says it's painful.

sunnette

Yes i agree with some other moms, this is a phase almost all of them will go through so first of all, it is normal. My son had been wearing this set of Macqueen clothes for almost half a year, can you imagine all photos of him he wears the SAME clothing?? haha. anyway, his 'Possessiveness' for it will slowly be replaced over time.

Well if you really need her to wear something unfamiliar to her, try keeping the favorite clothes out of her sight first, can tell her something like her favorite clothes went poopoo cos tummy ache, or it fell sick so can't perform for the day so it sent it's best friends over to help for a day(ACT that out even better, pretend to be in pain.. if you don't find it too malu. ), then take out two sets of clothes you think is suitable and let her choose from them(She still has a choice ultimately). This way you try to bring connection between her favoite shirts and her new ones. Kids usually can accept when you personifies their items to that of their own characteristics. See if that works.

to add on, try to make it more attractive by telling her something she will like to do later on after she wears the clothes.

If all else fails... try a treat (Most people will not encourage, but this probably works if you are DESPERATE. A kid with something yummy in her mouth is more likely to be more easy-going with her choice. please note it is your priority anyway whether to get her change is more important at that point or keeping to rules of no sweet rewards )

hope that helps.

shiyi

thanks mummies for all the advices. ive tried all sorts of soft and hard methods, but it wont work. i think she does not like dresses and swim wear. sigh

creeni

If me i will try to let her wear the old tshirt then let her wear new clothes outside. Slowly change her rigid.

pixie

My little girl is 19.5 months old now. When I bring her to the shop, I will let her participate in choosing her new outfit. When I show the new outfit to her infront of the mirror in the shop and she pull it away, I know she doesn't like it and will not purchase the piece.

Before I change my girl into a new outfit, I will say words like 'pretty' and 'nice' as I know my girl is pretty vain....LOL. Then after changing her in her new outfit, I will bring her to the mirrow and say to her 'look how beautiful you are' and she will give me the most innocent smile and poses infront of the mirror.

Another method you might want to try is hang those new clothes which is within the sight of your girl for a few days and let her choose the piece from the hanger before putting it on her. I am not sure if this works as each child behaves differently. But by disaplaying new outfit, your girl gets to see them and she might think that they are not new since she is seeing them everyday! Yes, it is a psychological 'trick' thing.