Help! Nipple rejection!

Tiggee

I rather latch cos I'm taking care of my baby myself in the day. And to keep washing bottles and the pump is really tiring. Not to mention that I'm totally lack of slp and rather slp den pump. I know my supply is decreasing, but I'm too god damn tired! I'm already contemplating FM.

heyious

I am currently latching my bb. However, he keeps on dozing off when latching. He will wake up in 20mins to cry for milk later. It is quite fustrating. Is he not drinking enough? Should I be supplementing him with bottle feeding?
I had been bottle feeding him for quite sometime cos i had terribly sore nipples after the first few days of latching. So now that I am going back to latching(still with sore nipples), he struggles and cries sometimes. Also, I only latch him in the mornings and afternoons, while my MIL will bottle feed him in the night(2 times in the night). Will this further confuse him?

Jinny

I rather latch cos I'm taking care of my baby myself in the day. And to keep washing bottles and the pump is really tiring. Not to mention that I'm totally lack of sleep and rather sleep then pump. I know my supply is decreasing, but I'm too god damn tired! I'm already contemplating FM.
Totally understand how u feel tiggee, I've been through ur phase as well. My baby is 4.5 mths now and I'm still total bf her. Back then my baby was so cranky n fussy, every single thing also cry n I was so tired n busy wif her I don even haf time for chat in forum or Facebook until 3mths. I also faced breast strike b4, key point is if you r determined to bf, be preserver and do it exclusively. I kept telling myself if other mummies can, why I cannot. But of course don give urself too much stress, once in a while supplement wif FM is ok. If washing bottels or babies clothes takes up ur rest, get ur mom to help u at least through your confinement or if possible hire a maid.

I am currently latching my bb. However, he keeps on dozing off when latching. He will wake up in 20mins to cry for milk later. It is quite fustrating. Is he not drinking enough? Should I be supplementing him with bottle feeding?
I had been bottle feeding him for quite sometime cos i had terribly sore nipples after the first few days of latching. So now that I am going back to latching(still with sore nipples), he struggles and cries sometimes. Also, I only latch him in the mornings and afternoons, while my MIL will bottle feed him in the night(2 times in the night). Will this further confuse him?
breastmilk is easily digested by baby that's why they get hungry faster. If you intend on breastfeeding your baby, you won't succumb into supplementing formula for your baby :)

Tiggee, you can get a part time maid. It's only $10/hr. I also do chores on my own on top of taking care of my boy. Right now I really don't have much time for chores but good thing hubby agreed to get a part time cleaner who can come to our place and clean at least 2x/week :)

Amulet

hmmm.. ur MIL bottlefeed him at night thn what happens to ur breast? dont they get so badly engorged that u need to wake up to pump?

young babies doze off while feeding as it's so comfy and the slow milk flow bores them.. try doing compression while he latchs to keep him 'interested'.. if he doze off, try waking him up again n again until he totally goes to sleep or when you think the feeding is done..

Tiggee

breastmilk is easily digested by baby that's why they get hungry faster. If you intend on breastfeeding your baby, you won't succumb into supplementing formula for your baby :)

Tiggee, you can get a part time maid. It's only $10/hr. I also do chores on my own on top of taking care of my boy. Right now I really don't have much time for chores but good thing hubby agreed to get a part time cleaner who can come to our place and clean at least 2x/week :)
Where did you get your part time maid from?

heyious

hmmm.. ur MIL bottlefeed him at night thn what happens to ur breast? dont they get so badly engorged that u need to wake up to pump?

young babies doze off while feeding as it's so comfy and the slow milk flow bores them.. try doing compression while he latchs to keep him 'interested'.. if he doze off, try waking him up again n again until he totally goes to sleep or when you think the feeding is done..
yeap. i pump every 3 hrs or so in the night. I will try this compression method.....thanks for the advice!

charllmy

Mummies, i was reading all the posts and need some advice..

I started bottle feeding EBM my girl on her 3rd week. ever since then, she rejects my breasts totally. i tried every day for 2-3 times for 1week then gave up. she is 6 weeks now and is totally on bottle feeding EBM. I gave birth at KKH and when i called the LC there, they say that as long as it is breast milk, does not matter whether it is bottle feed or direct latch.. but I have been reading more now and it seems that direct latch is still the best..

Now my milk supply seems to be dropping.. used to be able to pump 80-90ml, just now only 50ml! What should I do? Should I go back to KKH to see the LC, or go to mount A to see LC? Any good LC to recommend? I wouldn't mind spending the money, as long as it is helpful!!... Is it too late to train my baby back to direct latching?

**stressed**... =(

Actually, when you go back to work, then baby will have to take bottled EBM right? how do we maintain our supply then? Is it a waste of effort to train my girl back to breast, since I am going to go to work in another 6 weeks?

Last edited:

Jinny

Hi charllmy
It's still not too late to get baby back to latch back ur breast. I personally went to see the LC at Mt A when my girl is 2wks old. I Also had doubt abt own milk level and was latching incorrectly.
Do not know abt the LC at kk, but at Mt A was very good. FYI I also intro bottle feeding very early, ard the 1st wk, then struggled with getting baby back to breast. Not to worry, they will see you n baby and point out what's wrong and correct u. :)

charllmy

Thanks Jinny! Any recommendation for the LC? Or I just go to Mt A and ask for anyone? I will go down tomorrow morning! =)

How do you handle when you go back to work? When you are at work, sure must bottle feed right?

Jinny

No prob:) U can look for Joelyn. Suggest u give them a call 1st 6347 6641 n make appt then go down, cos they will be busy w attending to ward patients.

When going back work 6 wks before i start to stock up ebm in my freezer for as many packs as possible. Pack 1feed in 1pack.
When I go to work I pump once before going to work and pump twice at work for baby's next day feed. After work go home and latch on baby till she sleep. Can b quite tiring but seeing baby's growing well n hardly fall sick is all worth it.

charllmy

Thanks for the contact Jinny! Like that, after you go back to work, wouldn't your baby have nipple confusion issues too? When she is used to the bottle, did she reject your breasts?

elise81

Joelyn/ Doris/ Sister Kang they r really good LC frm Mt A. KK is really ..... The reason for direct latch is mainly Becos of the bonding session between mummy & bb + direct latch get less wind in the tummy.

Last time I direct latch in day & Hubby feed EBM at night. Then I realize I still need to pump anyway so I still need to wake up. :S I ended up latching lying down saves me time & trouble cos I'm so lazy to pump...

I never had nipple confusion with mine.. I'm using Pigeon wide neck... Maybe u can pump in the day at work then latch lying down at night? Them while latching u can still sleep. :) once bb finish they can also continue sleeping..

Jinny

Joelyn/ Doris/ Sister Kang they r really good LC frm Mt A. KK is really ..... The reason for direct latch is mainly Becos of the bonding session between mummy & baby + direct latch get less wind in the tummy.

Last time I direct latch in day & Hubby feed EBM at night. Then I realize I still need to pump anyway so I still need to wake up. :S I ended up latching lying down saves me time & trouble cos I'm so lazy to pump...

I never had nipple confusion with mine.. I'm using Pigeon wide neck... Maybe you can pump in the day at work then latch lying down at night? Them while latching you can still sleep. :) once baby finish they can also continue sleeping..
AGREED:Dancing_wub:

U mummies are really night "owl" so late still can reply.. I was already in dreamland lol...
Charllmy, if you faithfully latch ur baby everyday till before u go to work abt 2wks beforehand, wean your baby to bottle feeding. By then your baby will be very proficient to latched on and may even prefer your breast than bottle.
For me, baby occasionally got nipple confusion, as I use the normal kind of bottle nipple. So far so good, my baby's able to bottle feed and latch directly.
At night I also pop her to my breast when she cries, very convenient.

charllmy

Thanks a lot for your help mummies! It once agains reaffirms me that direct latching is the best.. Ever since the LC at KKH told me that bottle feed is the same, I got lazy to re-train baby to take my breasts... Btw, I got an appt to bring my girl down to Mount A later at 3pm le.. =) Any tips or anything that i should ask the LC or bring along with me for the consultation? =)

Jinny

Thanks a lot for your help mummies! It once agains reaffirms me that direct latching is the best.. Ever since the LC at Kandang Kerbau Hospital told me that bottle feed is the same, I got lazy to re-train baby to take my breasts... Btw, I got an appt to bring my girl down to Mount A later at 3pm .. =) Any tips or anything that i should ask the LC or bring along with me for the consultation? =)

Glad you are seeking professional help :)
Bring a jacket for yourself and baby incase cold.
Get ready your questions on hand and just relax.