Help on baby food.

Judith

Hi.
My daughter is 6months+, I'm blur to start her on solids. I only tried the brown rice powder with ginseng and ikan bilis from ntuc, I want to try porridge and other healthy and yummy alternatives for her like fruits, oats, etc. I've really no experience. Would mummies care to share their recipes?? And how to prepare them? Thanks a lot!!

diza

U can start giving her those cerelac type.. For fruits I usually blend the fruits using the small blender and make sure it's still new coz I don't want to have any "added" taste.. Lol. Alternatively u can make ur own food from scratch.. I'm a working mom so I just use all instant but I don't give those bottled purée as my boy hates it plus it can be too sweet for him.

rosemummy

Start off with basic cereal that puree well. Replace one meal with cereal. Start slow as bb adjusts. Then veg puree follow by fruit puree. Veg first cos fruit is sweet.

After bb takes on well, move to porridge in 7 to 8 months. Porridge safe for bb stomach. By the time he should take 3 meals solid the rest milk feeds continue.

My boy nw takes cereal for breakfast and fish porridge lunch and dinner with milk feeds in between.

I find porridge easiest to make and feed. I am a working mummy. I do give bottled during weekends but wkdays my nanny cooks porridge for bb.

Hope this helps. Enjoy the weaning process :)

QUOTE=Judith:795960]Hi.
My daughter is 6months+, I'm blur to start her on solids. I only tried the brown rice powder with ginseng and ikan bilis from ntuc, I want to try porridge and other healthy and yummy alternatives for her like fruits, oats, etc. I've really no experience. Would mummies care to share their recipes?? And how to prepare them? Thanks a lot!![/QUOTE]

I give my daughter broccoli puree with my breastmilk on it. I also mix banana with my breastmilk. I also give her mashed potato or sweet potato with carrots. As much as possible, I want to make it all natural. Now that my daughter is on her 8th month, I already give her rice and very small chunks of chicken.

venussnow

Same here. As a first time mummy, I would love to have a few step by step recipes for preparing food for my dd when she turns 6mo :) would really help guide me on what is gd for her

missyqiqi

For 6 months onwards, just start slowly with cereal, if they are taking well, u can start blending fruits or foods like > berry, pumpkin, broccoli (not the stem, will cause colic), potatoes, sweet potatoes etc...

Then when they are able to start more semi solid, start on more blended or "teochew" style of porridge which is more sticky and softer to swallow.

brookemcalland

We started at 6 months and we've first introduced banana but LO also loves avocado. I first breastfeed and after one hour or so I offer solids, she's not taking a lot but still, breastmilk is the primary source when it comes for feeding. You should just make sure she gets enough breastmilk and find the right solids to offer.
I'm not good at knowing what to give to my baby but i always find different fruits and vegetables,here: Good momming! there're specific for age. I use it and I had no incidents!

Judith

We started at 6 months and we've first introduced banana but LO also loves avocado. I first breastfeed and after one hour or so I offer solids, she's not taking a lot but still, breastmilk is the primary source when it comes for feeding. You should just make sure she gets enough breastmilk and find the right solids to offer.
I'm not good at knowing what to give to my baby but i always find different fruits and vegetables,here: Good momming! there're specific for age. I use it and I had no incidents!
Thanks for the advice!
I tried banana, she's okay. Am wondering, her stools changed. It's yellow with dark green spots. Is this normal?

ast0212

Check out baby-led weaning. I did this with my kids. Basically give them whatever you eat without salt, or any other food they can pick up like steamed carrot sticks, broccoli florets, pasta.. this teaches them to chew before swallowing rather than swallow before learning to chew :)

LaraCroft

Thanks for the advice!
I tried banana, she's okay. Am wondering, her stools changed. It's yellow with dark green spots. Is this normal?
Yup, that is totally normal. I can see the indigestible fibre in my baby's stool too when she first started solid.

Judith

Check out baby-led weaning. I did this with my kids. Basically give them whatever you eat without salt, or any other food they can pick up like steamed carrot sticks, broccoli florets, pasta.. this teaches them to chew before swallowing rather than swallow before learning to chew :)
Hmm. Okay.. I'll go check it out. My baby doesn't like the porridge I cook. :( Don't know what is wrong.

Can mummies share what semi-solid food do you first start your baby with? can i cook porridge and make into puree? But I read somewhere baby's first food should be cereal. Why is that so? Is there any first food that i can DIY rather than to get the commercial packs? My baby is 6mths+ now. Can mummies advise pls. Thks!

Last edited:

LaraCroft

Can mummies share what semi-solid food do you first start your baby with? can i cook porridge and make into puree? But I read somewhere baby's first food should be cereal. Why is that so? Is there any first food that i can DIY rather than to get the commercial packs? My baby is 6mths+ now. Can mummies advise pls. Thks!
Hi littlepooh,
I first started with mashed bananas, pumpkin puree, sweet potatoes, pear puree, basically fruits and vegetable. There is no fast and hard rules that you should start with cereal. You can also cook porridge and blend it if you like. Always start with 1 food item at a time and wait 3 days before introducing another type of food, to identify any food allergy, if any. Good luck!

LaraCroft

Yes, I mixed them with milk at the start, like banana and sweet potatoes. As for fruits with more juices, like apple and pear, I peeled them, chopped into cubes, cooked slightly in small pan, and puree it with a hand blender. No milk. And yes, I feed with spoon.

Is there different organic brown rice for bb or those brown rice found in organic section of supermart also can be used? Any brands that's good? I bought this Lundberg short grain organic brown rice, but just saw it contains sugar?! Can this be taken by baby?

Hi mommies, I am a first time mom going to feed my baby semi solid food starting this week. I have already bought baby rice. Other than this, i am curious about fruit puree. When can i start to give my baby fruit puree? I am concerned about the sugar content. Is there any fruit I should avoid? Should I just blend the fruit into juices fresh or do i need to cook them before making them into puree?

Hope all experienced mommies can help me out here. Thanks :)

LaraCroft

Hi mommies, I am a first time mom going to feed my baby semi solid food starting this week. I have already bought baby rice. Other than this, i am curious about fruit puree. When can i start to give my baby fruit puree? I am concerned about the sugar content. Is there any fruit I should avoid? Should I just blend the fruit into juices fresh or do i need to cook them before making them into puree?

Hope all experienced mommies can help me out here. Thanks :)
Hi Lavenderly,
How old is your baby? For fruit puree, most fruits are fine. The sugar content is simple fructuse that baby can easily digest. For soft fruits like banana, avocado and papaya, you can mash it finely (with or without milk) and serve it to your baby. Harder fruits like apple and pear, i would peel the skin (to be safe coz most skin may still have pesticide residue after you've washed them), chopped in to small pieces, cook and puree with hand blender. I guess you can do it with a blender too. But don't use a juicer because then the fibre would be separated. You do want fibre in your baby's diet to avoid constipation.

Hope this helps!

Hi Laracroft, thanks for your reply! My baby is going to be six month old soon. :) i guess i will try to give him some juices maybe after he reach 7 months.