Help... SPH (Single ParentHood)... I need to get ready

mandymtb

it is with a very heavy heart that i finally decided to pen in here and ask for advices...

after 17 yrs of being together, it seems like we still have to part our ways... initially i thought that things may turned beta after the birth of our lil one, but it didnt...

before i mustered my courage to bring up the "D" word, i wld need some advices here...

Since I got preggy till now, I have been paying for everything, from prenatal checkup to delivering in the hospital, necessities for baby, to household and to daily expenses. He has been out of job and was into online soccer betting before I got preggy, and many a times, he even has to depend on me for his daily allowance.

When i delivered, he finally found a contract job. But bcos he is in too many debts with nearly all the banks you can think of, his monthly pay cant even cover his repayment, let alone paying for the household.

And the worst thing is, there are 3 personal loans which was applied using my name but it was actually for him to repay some of his heavily owed debts. BUT now, instead of him paying the banks, i m the one doing it.

Recently, i was thinking to buy some insurance for the lil one and did some calculations on the avg monthly expenses, and i really felt the pressure here... my finances are REALLY tight... and this is after cutting out here and there, like using drugstore brand cosmetics instead of branded ones, reducing my daily expenses by bringing bread and maggie mee to work instead of buying frm outside etc.

so much so that i cant even afford to get a simple insurance for the lil one... and when i look at my baby, i felt so useless...

You may be asking why am i thinking of the "D" word then... its a long story but in short words, he said he felt ashamed of me and the family... he dont know why did he choose to be with me after the mistake i have done, he said his life cld have been beta if he had left me that day... he said no matter how good i bcome now aso no use... and that he feels disgusted looking at me...

I think enuff is enuff, i may have erred, but i have tried my very best to do things so that our lives will be better... but apparently it is not working out...

So in short, I need to know the following:-
- is there any way to "redo" the birth cert? I wldnt want to have his name on my baby's record
- possible to get 100% custody?
- i dont want to see him ever again and dont want to let him see my baby, is there a legal way to this?
- is it a mus to be separated first then file for divorce? Separated means we can live apart rite?
- i have applied for persoanl loan frm 3 banks under my name but it was actually for him to repay some of his heavily owed debts. After divorce, am i still liable for this loan? Can I transfer the loan to him?

Last edited:

diymummy

Hi Mandy,

I'm real sorry to hear your story.

Will you be considering marriage counselling? It's tough and requires even more humility to go through it but hopefully it might turn his heart to be more responsible and not find excuses and keep blaming you. It has been tough on you to bear all his debts. I hope that by seeking help, it could wisen him up.

As for your questions
- No, I don't think you can re-do the birth cert.
- It's possible to get 100% custody if you can prove that he has been very irresponsible. The 3 personal loans applied under your name is not going to be very helpful but if he is still out of a job, you still stand a high chance.
- As for visitation rights, it has to be discussed when you are fighting for custody. Usually it could be limited to once a month.
- Yes, it is a must to be seperated for 3 years before filing for a divorce
- After the divorce, yes you are still liable to pay up the loan because it is under your name. It would only be possible to transfer the loan to him if he agrees to sign bank documents.

*Hugs*

Ting

sorry to hear this mandy,perhaps u shld seek diymummy's advice n go for some counselling first??

hi mandy

may i know what mistake did u commit that caused him to be ashame of u & family?

U have already identified a few key areas u want to see improvement in him :
1. taking responsibility for his own debts
2. getting a proper job
3. to forgive u and move on
4. to turn a new leaf (he sounds like a habitual gambler)

yup... best to speak to a counsellor. cos we are no experts herre. look for your local family services centre. u can just call them up for a chat 1st. it is foc & confidential.
But do feel free to post here so that the mummies here too can provide some form of support to u! hugs!

JoyBliss

Hi Mandy darling,

*Huggg*** you have went through a lot... Just hang on there okie... Like all the mummies here advice to seek professional help. If eventually D is still the only last resort and the best for the 3 of you (including BB), then it is a choice you have made with good mind and well-informed.

Some sharing
1.) The ICA officer told me to remove the father name, unless you can prove he's not the natural father and somemore subject for approval on case by case basis...

2.) I read also lar... possible to get 100% and you may also request Court not to grant the father the access to the child as long as you can prove that the father is unfit and post as a danger (bad influence) to the baby's welfare and being. Otherwise, both the parents have equal rights to the child custody and visitations legally... But also meaning you have to fight a law case that is costly and time consuming... have to think thrice..

3.) Yes, usu. separation for 3 yrs before can divorce. But I have friends who still stay together under the same roof, but in diff rooms during their separation period, not nec apart.

4.) Loan under your name... kinda hard to transfer to him. Most proably like what diymummy has advised

So take care always Mandy. We do look forward to more of your posts! I feel the mummies in Mummysg forum are very sweet and understanding people. Even though we can't really help professionally, but we give you the moral support ya! :)

B.rgds,
J

Catty

Hi Mandy,

I can understand how u feel..

1) Removing of father name is not allow provided u can ask ur lawyer to fight it for u or the father is willing to remove his name than maybe can get a lawyer to do it for u..

2) Is a definately that u can have 100% of the child custody since he did not contribute anything to the family or rather his own child.

3) U can try to file for immediate divorce cos my sis also had some similar cases with u and my sis left her ex husband when she's 5 mth pregnant.

4) I'm sorry to said that those bank loan under ur name, u got to bear for it provided u wanna try out to talk to the banks or seek some woman welfare to seek help on ur behalf.

Hope u can be strong for the sake of ur little ones and do keep us update on ur situation.. *hugz hugz* :wong19:

mag_huiling

it is with a very heavy heart that i finally decided to pen in here and ask for advices...

after 17 yrs of being together, it seems like we still have to part our ways... initially i thought that things may turned beta after the birth of our lil one, but it didnt...

before i mustered my courage to bring up the "D" word, i wld need some advices here...

Since I got preggy till now, I have been paying for everything, from prenatal checkup to delivering in the hospital, necessities for baby, to household and to daily expenses. He has been out of job and was into online soccer betting before I got preggy, and many a times, he even has to depend on me for his daily allowance.

When i delivered, he finally found a contract job. But bcos he is in too many debts with nearly all the banks you can think of, his monthly pay cant even cover his repayment, let alone paying for the household.

And the worst thing is, there are 3 personal loans which was applied using my name but it was actually for him to repay some of his heavily owed debts. BUT now, instead of him paying the banks, i m the one doing it.

Recently, i was thinking to buy some insurance for the lil one and did some calculations on the avg monthly expenses, and i really felt the pressure here... my finances are REALLY tight... and this is after cutting out here and there, like using drugstore brand cosmetics instead of branded ones, reducing my daily expenses by bringing bread and maggie mee to work instead of buying frm outside etc.

so much so that i cant even afford to get a simple insurance for the lil one... and when i look at my baby, i felt so useless...

You may be asking why am i thinking of the "D" word then... its a long story but in short words, he said he felt ashamed of me and the family... he dont know why did he choose to be with me after the mistake i have done, he said his life cld have been beta if he had left me that day... he said no matter how good i bcome now aso no use... and that he feels disgusted looking at me...

I think enuff is enuff, i may have erred, but i have tried my very best to do things so that our lives will be better... but apparently it is not working out...

So in short, I need to know the following:-
- is there any way to "redo" the birth cert? I wldnt want to have his name on my baby's record
like what JoyBliss said, unless you cant prove that he is not the birth father of the child.

- possible to get 100% custody?
Yes. But the father will still have the visitation rights, no matter what reasons you have.

- i dont want to see him ever again and dont want to let him see my baby, is there a legal way to this?
No legal way, but got "illegal" way.. Everytime he wants to see baby, just cocked up some reasons like say not free, etc...:p

- is it a mus to be separated first then file for divorce? Separated means we can live apart rite?
If you have been married for more than 3 years, no need to file for separation.. Separation, you both can live apart. You can also choose not to let him know your address.

- i have applied for persoanl loan frm 3 banks under my name but it was actually for him to repay some of his heavily owed debts. After divorce, am i still liable for this loan? Can I transfer the loan to him?
No. Unless you got prove to say that the debt was his and he is willing to accept it.