Help with BM issues

LilMissy

My baby girl is almost 3weeks old. I have been latching her all this while but my milk supply has been rather low. Wen i pump, it'll be 1oz or lesser. Hwever, she hasnt been fussing and has been wetting / soiling her diapers. Just that she keeps on wanting to latch most of the time.

she latches, fall asleep, i put her down and she wakes up a few mins later wanting to latch again.

some say since my supply so low, i no need to pump just let her latch and clear the milk. However, i have been reading n many says that regular pumping on top of latching will help boost supply.

my hubby says my milk supply will be according to my girl's needs.

Any advice or comments?

ast0212

If your girl has been getting plenty of wet nappies, you're doing well :)

Don't judge your supply by how much you pump as babies are far more efficient than pumps. From my experience I can never pump more than 60ml in total from both breasts, yet I am still breastfeeding my 21 month old.

Go with the flow, latch baby on whenever she wants or whenever you're not sure of what she wants. Easiest way to settle them for sure and less stress for you.

LilMissy

@ast0212: thanks for the reassurance!! :) shud i still pump then? Or just let her latch and let her 'take' the milk out for me?

personally think that if yr child is getting enough from u , and u are happy with total latching thrgout, then no need to pump:) u can save time and effort washing/steralising. rest if you got time.

but if you intend to bottlefeed baby , allow other to help to feed then u can pump to store the excess. some mummy will choose this method when they know they are returning to work soon.

LilMissy

@ilovebbdylan: thanks. I will be returning to work but not so soon, still have time. Only returning to work end March 2014. So i can pump later on right?

yes, pump one month before you return to work. less stress because u got ample time to store and know how much bb drink:) enjoy breastfeeding.

Hi LilMissy, good job for choosing to breastfeed your little one. :) As for the output you get through pumping, you should not pump as early as three weeks. What is advisable (KellyMom) is six weeks postpartum. For the mean time, latch your baby while you can, as that is the only way to increase your supply. ast0212 is also correct when she said that what you get from pumping is not the basis if you're getting enough. The only bases are if your baby wets the average 5-8 diapers a day and if she is gaining weight. But then again, there are babies, like mine, who lost weight on her first month. I didn't fret so much as my breastfeeding counselor told me that it may be normal for newborns to lose weight, and as long as my baby is not fussy nor cranky, we are on the right track. I've been exclusively breastfeeding her for 15 months now. And she never got sick- thanks to breastmilk.

Last edited:

Ning

hi Sarah, my baby is now 6 months old, I have not let him latch on for the past 2 months since I started work, my milk supply is dropping recently, any advice for me?

LilMissy

Thanks Sarah!! That's very reassuring....i will pump again when i'm six weeks post partum...as of now, i'm just latching her totally... ;)