~ High Blood Pressure & Bedrest ~

izanyzam

Very well said gal. :) The beauty of motherhood makes most MTBs more sensible and less wilful. At the end of the day, we are answerable for our own actions and we are "housing/ housed" our babies so we should be responsible to shelter them from any possible harm as well, to the best of our capabilities.

Tk you for your kind concern, my dad is doing good so far. Yeah, the chances are higher but I believe with extra care, we could all be victors to hereditary issues or at least minimize the chances :)

Hey izanyzam, you're most welcome but dont need to thank me. Being a mother myself, I know how it feels so I just wish to be of help. Enjoy your pregnancy gal :)
Hi Cor...Its nice to "meet" friendly mummies like you here in mummysg who are so helpful in sharing their views and advices...Definitely helped me put my mind at ease..You take care of yerself too mummy...!! And thanks once again.. :Dancing_wub:

Cor

Hi Cor...Its nice to "meet" friendly mummies like you here in mummysg who are so helpful in sharing their views and advices...Definitely helped me put my mind at ease..You take care of yerself too mummy...!! And thanks once again.. :Dancing_wub:
Hi izanyzam, I feel the same about "meeting" a no. of nice mummies like yourself :) Once again, no prob gal. I see a change in your mood, dont stress, dont stress ok? All will be well.

iwan2noe

I had the same problem and my BP was 140. My then gynae kept insisting that my BP is normal and not high although repeated referrals to him by GP who was even more concerned than my gynae haha..

Anyway, I got worried as high BP is pretty serious so I went to KK and requested for a thorough checkup to be done, hoping for a peace of mind. It was during the checks that my water bag broke and they delayed my birth as baby was only 33weeks 2 days. Anyway, thankfully like yours, my baby was growing well and he was 2.5kg though premature.

As for tumeric, I am not sure if it is suitable for pregnant women coz I have heard that too much heaty food during last tri would result in baby having jaundice. My son's jaundice was very bad plus he was premature so every other day, he gets poked for blood to monitor his situation.. so poor thing..

For high BP, it is very important to keep off seafood and eat less salty food. Also, please relax and dont't worry too much. Coz afterall, should you deliver at 37 weeks or after, your baby is more or less considered full term already.

Please take good care of yourself and stay happy :)
Hi Cor,

I was told by an aunty that preggies shd avoid tumeric as it will cause high chances of bb getting jaundice. I dont know how true but just listen to her say and sharing with all mtbs here ;)

Cheers! Hope everything will be fine for all mtbs thru'out their pregnancy :)

Cor

Hi Cor,

I was told by an aunty that preggies should avoid tumeric as it will cause high chances of baby getting jaundice. I dont know how true but just listen to her say and sharing with all mtbs here ;)

Hi iwan2noe,

Yup, yup, that's what I heard from some people too. When I was bf my son, initially I didn't know and was consuming large amounts of ginger and eating things with a lot of sesame oil during 1st week of confinement. My son's jaundice worsened. After a nurse told me that jaundice is also caused by heatiness, I just took very very small amounts on alternate days and his jaundice level dropped though it was still on the high side.. Basically tumeric and ginger are somewhat of the same "family"..

Yeah, I too hope for the best for all MTBs. Since some of us are kiasu over a lot of other things, I feel we should also have the same mindset when it comes to the safety of the unborn child. To me, pregnancy is about being better safe than sorry.. Take care all MTBs and try your best to enjoy your pregnancy coz sometimes, I wish I could stuff my son back into my stomach as I missed his movements and kicks inside me coz the kicks outside are a lot more painful now haha :tlaugh:

izanyzam

Hi izanyzam, I feel the same about "meeting" a no. of nice mummies like yourself :) Once again, no prob gal. I see a change in your mood, dont stress, dont stress ok? All will be well.
Hi Cor...Ok...My mood has changed...Thank GOD my blood pressure has gone down over the past 2 days...Im soooOooo HAPPY..I cant wait for my next check-up tis coming monday..!! :Dancing_wub:

izanyzam

Hi Cor,

I was told by an aunty that preggies should avoid tumeric as it will cause high chances of baby getting jaundice. I dont know how true but just listen to her say and sharing with all mtbs here ;)

Hi iwan2noe...Thanks for sharing the info...So i guess i should avoid tumeric then..!!! And yes hope that all goes well for the rest of our pregnancies..!!! :001_302:

iwan2noe

Hi dear mummies to be,

Some info on Preeclampsia

Preeclampsia

- is a serious disorder characterized by high blood pressure and protein in your urine

- most often shows up after 37 weeks, but it can happen earlier so it's important to be aware of the warning signs of this condition.

- let your gynae know if you have swelling in your face or puffiness around your eyes, more than slight swelling of your hands, excessive or sudden swelling of your feet or ankles, or rapid weight gain (more than 4 pounds in a week).

With more severe preeclampsia, you may experience other symptoms.

- let your gynae know know immediately if you have a severe or persistent headache, vision changes (including double or blurred vision, seeing spots or flashing lights, sensitivity to light, or temporary loss of vision), intense pain or tenderness in your upper abdomen, or vomiting.

Take care everyone...may all have a healthy and smooth good pregnancy !:tlaugh:

jasobias

Hi iwan2noe...Thanks for sharing the info...So i guess i should avoid tumeric then..!!! And yes hope that all goes well for the rest of our pregnancies..!!! :001_302:
Its a myth tht tumeric causes jaundice.Just coz its yellow n i think some malay or indian custom(not sure which) wld sometimes put on the face n it turns yellow. Iif there was even an ounce of truth in tht ..all indian babies will be born jaundiced as tumeric is used in almost all the daily dishes:eek:
Jaundice is coz baby's liver is immature.Most common cause wld be the OAB blood incompatibility tht is if u r O or O+ N hubby is A /B chances tht ur baby gets jaundice r pretty high.My 3 kids had tht same problem.Nothing u can do or eat tht is gonna avoid baby getting jaundice during pregnancy.Some get it n some dont.

iwan2noe

Its a myth tht tumeric causes jaundice.Just coz its yellow n i think some malay or indian custom(not sure which) wld sometimes put on the face n it turns yellow. Iif there was even an ounce of truth in tht ..all indian babies will be born jaundiced as tumeric is used in almost all the daily dishes:eek:
Jaundice is coz baby's liver is immature.Most common cause wld be the OAB blood incompatibility tht is if you are O or O+ N hubby is A /B chances tht your baby gets jaundice are pretty high.My 3 kids had tht same problem.Nothing you can do or eat tht is gonna avoid baby getting jaundice during pregnancy.Some get it n some dont.
I agree with what u mention...that is why i was telling that it was a aunty who told me, ya....there is also other myth that eating too much orange veggies and fruit will cause bb to have jaundice...so it is up to us to believe, i am just sharing what i was told.. ;)

adelynn

Hi adelynn...I dont mean to sound rude but it is kind of comforting to know that there are other mum-to-be's who are also experiencing the same problem as me...At least i have people to voice my concerns with...I pray and hope that your blood pressure will also improve soon..I have been resting quite a lot since i came back from my check-up although im finding it hard to just lie in bed and not do anything...As im staying alone in my own house with my hubby,i still do get up and do the laundry coz its pilling up and to make matters worse,hubby is on a two-week reservist call-up...!!!! Arghhhhh...!!!

Anyways,i really hope our health will improve and pray that God will give us the strength to continue with our pregnancy...For the sake of our babies,we just have to watch our diet and hand in there just a little bit more...!! *hugs* :001_302::001_302:
Hey Izanyzam

I can understand how you feel. When doctor first told me about my condition, i was in a panic, and wondering if there was anything that i did wrongly or should not have done or should have done to have prevented this. Alot of my mind went back to how hectic my work had been and how i had been pushin myself thru the pregnancy to meet the demands of my work. Somehow i worked it out within myself with the help of some friends and the mummies in this forum (thanks)

It's difficult to have to have ur hubby away during the period of bed rest but please try and rest and much as you can. I now start to 'develop a routine' to ensure that i get sufficient rest and monitor my BP.

As for me, my gynae's pretty happy with my BP since she placed me on strict bed rest orders. What's important is ur mindset is positive, and you stay relaxed thru the rest of the pregnancy

Take care dear~

izanyzam

Jaundice is coz baby's liver is immature.Most common cause wld be the OAB blood incompatibility tht is if you are O or O+ N hubby is A /B chances tht your baby gets jaundice are pretty high.My 3 kids had tht same problem.Nothing you can do or eat tht is gonna avoid baby getting jaundice during pregnancy.Some get it n some dont.
I totally agree with you..Sometimes we cant control things that are certain to happen..Thanks for sharing the info jasobias...I didnt know that the parent's blood type plays a part too..!!!

izanyzam

Hello dear mummies and MTBs...I have been closely monitoring my blood pressure at home the past week and found that they have gone down quite a bit...Average of around 110/90..

I just had my 35th ++ week checkup earlier on today and surprisingly found out that my blood pressure again was high..It measured 140/100..I had to see another gynae because my own gynae was away and wont be back in another week...I informed the other gynae about my own blood pressure monitoring and she said that as i might be anxious on my gynae visits,that could be the cause of the slight jump in my reading..

Anyways,she scanned my baby and hes doing very well..But due to my high blood pressure,she said there's a high chance that i might have to be induced once i reach 38 weeks..I have since discussed with my hubby and have decided that since my baby is doin fine and 37th week is considered full term,i might as well just go ahead and be induced esp since its safer for the baby to be delivered at this stage.

As for now,i have been told to take 3 pills of the Methyldopa daily instead of 2 pills...I am allowed to go back to work though but i have to tell myself to take things very slowly from now on and since the stand-in gynae is quite thorough,i have been instructed to take the glucose tolerance test as soon as possible just to be safe..Im going down to Thomson again on Thursday to have it done..Though i hate to take the sickly pink liquid..I know its something i must do..!!! Yuckkkk..!!

Thanks so much for all you mummies who have shared your advices and experiences..It has helped ease my mind a bit..For now,i just have to rest..Be happy..And hope that baby will stay in my tummy for at least another 3weeks..!! :001_302::001_302:

I would however like to know if any mummies here have been induced..?? Kindly share your experiences...Thanks in advance..!!

Last edited:

zputriz

me too had higgh blood drg bb number1.. i tink baby boys always give their mummies high blood when they're in the wombs.. hehe..
my case was my bp was borderline when i chk w my gp,ut at kk my obstetrician was super kanchong n decided to put me on bed rest twice.. which i refused, n instead rest at hm.. i also had to take metyldopa, but it dint even lower my bp..

what i did was, i reduced some food that causes the increase of uric acid in my blood, eg. beans, wheat, red meat, seafood etc... try to worry less, think more positive, pray alot.. cos i wasvery nervous abt being induced n incase i cant deliver normally i may have to do c sect.. whoa tt really scare me!! i also suggest for u to drink air zamzam aft solat n air musofa :) it helps spiritually.. but as for me, my son end up coming out at 35 wks, but luckily he was healthy..

izanyzam

what i did was, i reduced some food that causes the increase of uric acid in my blood, eg. beans, wheat, red meat, seafood etc... try to worry less, think more positive, pray alot.. cos i wasvery nervous about being induced n incase i cant deliver normally i may have to do c sect.. whoa that really scare me!! i also suggest for you to drink air zamzam after solat n air musofa :) it helps spiritually.. but as for me, my son end up coming out at 35 wks, but luckily he was healthy..
Hi zputriz...Must avoid seafood huh..?? But since the past few days,ive had a STRONG craving for seafood la..How eh..?? Heeheee..!!! Yah i think changing my diet will help bring down my BP..From now onwards,i will record down all the readings i took at home with my blood pressure monitor and show it to my gynae during my visits coz i was told that those reading were more accurate..I think im superrr kanchiong during my gynae visits dats why my bp goes up..!!!

But honestly speaking,me and hubby have made up our minds that if my gynae still insists that i have to be induced then i just leave it up to God and just get the induction..At least baby is already healthy enuff to be delivered..Anyways,thanks for sharing your advices sis..Appreciate it..!! :001_302:

zputriz

yup, leave it to God dear, because formy case,so takut.. i went for my chk on fri noon, and then sat give birth!! haha.. talk to yr baby n tell him to wait if can,and if cannot.. come outbut make sure mummy deliver smoothly.. that was wat i did.. and miraculously baby kesian me and came out :) my son was abt 2.5kg at 35 wks then..

thistime ard my amnio fluid low.. doc suggest inducing.. just came back frm kk aft 3days of bed rest n monitoring as doc cant fig outy my water is low, but alhamdullillah ydays' chkup showed my waater went up again tho still low.. my obs wanna induce me nxt thur/fri and then im only 35 wks.. but she said its safe, n since i have a history of giving birth early, i tink that's e safest option.. if nt its v dangerous for my baby (finally aft so many scans to chk my water level, sonograher confirms it's a girl, yay!!).. so no choice la, i tawakal n doa, so long as im healthy and baby too :) dun wori so much, must relax.. do update us here on anything yup :)

izanyzam

yup, leave it to God dear, because formy case,so takut.. i went for my chk on fri noon, and then sat give birth!! haha.. talk to your baby n tell him to wait if can,and if cannot.. come outbut make sure mummy deliver smoothly.. that was what i did.. and miraculously baby kesian me and came out :) my son was about 2.5kg at 35 wks then..

thistime around my amnio fluid low.. doc suggest inducing.. just came back frm kk after 3days of bed rest n monitoring as doc cant fig outy my water is low, but alhamdullillah ydays' chkup showed my waater went up again tho still low.. my obs wanna induce me nxt thur/fri and then im only 35 wks.. but she said its safe, n since i have a history of giving birth early, i tink that's e safest option.. if not its very dangerous for my baby (finally after so many scans to chk my water level, sonograher confirms it's a girl, yay!!).. so no choice , i tawakal n doa, so long as im healthy and baby too :) dont wori so much, must relax.. do update us here on anything yup :)
Hi sis...Congrats on finally finding out that ure expecting a baby GIRL...!!! Alhamdulilah,so far my blood pressure has been stabilised..Gynae said that he will not induce me,let nature takes its own course UNLESS i go past my due date...I keep talking and asking my baby when he wants to come out and when he does,hopefully he wont cause me so much pain..HeeHee..!!! I wish you the best of health for the rest of your pregnancy sis...Rest well yah..!!! :001_302::001_302:

werxbabe

Hi mummies...

Any idea if feeling breathless is related to high blood pressure? I had my last check up my Bp was 140/85 @ 35 weeks..