HK trip on Jan 2013

JasmineTan09

Dear Mummies,

My son is 17 months now and we are bring him on a HK trip on Jan 2013. By then he will be 20 months.

Jan weather there should be about 14-19 degree. This is his 1st flight.

Any suggustions on what i shld prepare for the 1st flight and also shld i bring him to Disneyland and Ocean Park? Or any other recommendation on where i can bring him to?

Thanks!

Asphere

flight to hk shouldnt be a problem as my frenz brought her less than 1 year old to taiwan too. i guess you need to prepare thicker clothing for your son. disneyland i heard not v suitable for very young kid as they can play most ride. not sure about ocean park. but disneyland if dun intend to take much rides no harm bringing him in to walk and take photo and sit on those mild rides :)
rem to let him have water or food during take off and landing.. :D

bluetooth

I brought mine in August when dd was 14mths old. I did not bring any stroller, I had a baby carrier. I took dd everywhere,
shoppings at Central, Ladies night market, taking Tram, Star Ferry, MTR, Taxi, going Disneyland, etc.

Before the plane takes off, give ds water to drink. If possible, make ds sleep. This is to avoid the pressure change, which causes irritation and some babies can cry nonstop thru out the flight.

I think your ds is too young for HK Disneyland and Ocean Park. He cant appreciate it. Tokyo Disneyland will be a better choice; free entrance before 3 years old. I went to HK Disneyland due to bigger dd. Big dd was disappointed, as its too small. Not many rides for her.

bluetooth

Forgotten to mention, pls bring more warm clothing for your ds. Wear layers to keep warm; one long sleeve tshirt & a sweater.

lyra

I'm now at San Francisco with my 14 month old boy. Are you taking SQ? The SQ people were friendly and helpful. Food is good too. Baby ate our food nowadays but I still ordered baby food for him. They'll help you warm it up. You can bring water, some baby food, baby toys to keep him occupied. the air stewardess/ steward may also give him some toys. Bring clothes in layers. We got him a nice winter wear to keep out the wind and we dress him in thermal suits, 2 layers of clothes and 2 layers of pants. Also got him socks and shoes to keep him warm. Baby can get sick if feet are cold. The weather here is also rather cold, 10-15 degrees. But on the plane, it can be warm so you may only need to dress him in one layer. Get those winter cap too if its windy. Let baby wear mittens coz their hands can get cold. Babies hate all these stuff that wraps them up but no choice lah.

Remember one thing important is to make sure baby is sucking pacifier, drinking milk or breastfeeding (if you are still breastfeeding), or better still, sleeping when the plane is taking off or landing. I heard the poor babies cry their hearts out due to ear pain because of the pressure difference when plane is gaining altitude. Poor babies and kids! I'm lucky that my baby sleeps through the take offs and landings.

I was nervous about bringing baby on a long journey but it seems everything is ok! Haha. Yours is not a very long flight, it should be ok!

happymonsta

No worries. I brought my 18-month boy to HK last month too. I just brought enough healthy snacks and his favourite toys and books to keep him occupied. The flight was smooth. He was perfectly fine. Just that he was a bit too excited and kept talking... ha.. passengers around him were much disturbed I supposed..

Joyousbaby

Hi JasmineTan09,

Bring some snack on board, son's favorite toy and I bought new toy for my girl so she can unwrap n play with it. I didn't let her nap before the flt so once the plane push back I gave her milk and she fell asleep soon after.
you may visit the Disneyland but guess more on pix taking. Please bring a down jacket for him, weather in HK currently is crazy. Maybe hot n sunny n temp may drop a few degrees when in evening.
Pool here always say I underdress my girl. I feel they overdress their kids!
Try get uniqlo heat tech shirt, on top another thicker shirt or jumper. Then the jacket. U may layer it so when he gets warm or hot u may remove 1 shirt.
Just sweater is not enough. Especially when it gets windy at times.
hope you enjoy ur holiday in hk.