Holding pencil in a correct way .

raeka

Hello to all parents,
May I know is there any correct way of holding a pencil for a children ?

I doesn't know whether is my child holding it correctly ?

Anyone can help ?

I heard from friends telling me of buying a kind of slot that can slot to the pencil but is it really good ?
Is it correct way ?? I'm quite blur pls help.

ping26

Hi there

you can check youtube with keywords, pencil grip.

We call it the tripod grip (using your fingers and thumb).
The Basic Tripod Grip - Using The Basic Tripod Grip

I'm a therapist. I've seen many kids write with unusual grips. The ones with the most difficulties are those who also have reading or spelling difficulties. Bad handwriting takes some time to correct if the child already in primary school.

Rubber or silicone pencil grips only work for some kids. Triangular pencils & fat pencils work for more kids.

hope this helps!

raeka

Hi ping26,
I have seen e website u recommend . I'm silly to ask whether holding pencil for drawing is it same as holding it to write?
Is it related ?

ping26

Hi ping26,
I have seen e website u recommend . I'm silly to ask whether holding pencil for drawing is it same as holding it to write?
Is it related ?
Not silly at all. I wonder abt it too. It's better to use the basic tripod grip for writing - it's the most efficient way. Most people hold the pencil at lower portion (near the tip). The extended tripod grip is good for big strokes for sketching/shading. If a child writes a composition, other grips will cause one to fatigue more easily. For a poor speller or story-teller, hand fatigue is common excuse used for avoiding composition.