Home group tuition in Clementi Central

App-y Thursday: If you are having fun, you are not learning?

That is app-solutely untrue! Being in a digital society, children these days are surrounded by gadgets such as iPads and are well-versed in their operations. When used with clear rules and the right purpose in mind, these gadgets are useful tools to enhance learning.

Here are two English-learning apps that cater to two different age groups (Age 4 to 8; and age 8 and above).
1. Futaba (Multiplayer quiz for young children to learn about common objects)
2. The Opposites (An app designed to help learners acquire pairs of words with opposite meanings)

Not only are they fun, they are effective in helping children learn, specifically vocabulary, too.
Find out more at http://www.lilbutmightyenglish.com/b...posites-futaba!

5 Steps to Convert a Newspaper Article into a Cloze Passage

Hi Parents,

There is no denial that using English in an authentic manner is so important and this is clearly reflected in the choice of passages used in school assessment. The good news is that these authentic resources can be easily accessed from the internet and I would like to share about how these articles can be transformed into cloze passages easily.

For children taking the PSLE this year, practising cloze passages this way may be a breath of fresh air and helps them build on their confidence since they get to read the original article before attempting the cloze passage practice.

A sample worksheet that I have created is included at the end of the post for you to print out and try with your children. Read on here:

Primary English Tips | 5 Steps to Convert a Newspaper Article into a Cloze Passage

Cloze Passage: 3 Things to do when you are Stuck

Many children end up making irrelevant, wild guesses out of desperation. Even under such circumstances, I am sure we would like to have a chance of getting the answer right and a reasonable guess will increase the possibility. What are some steps that you can take to troubleshoot and come up with a probable answer? Find out here!

For more English Tips, visit lilbutmightyenglish.com.

PSLE English Tips: 8 Types of Comprehension Questions

PSLE English Tips | 8 Types of Comprehension Questions

The open-ended Comprehension in the new PSLE format remains as one of pupils' weakest areas that most parents and children are worried about. With the seemingly little time left, how can you help your child to optimise his or her learning and focus on strengthening the problem areas?The following question types are analysed according to examination papers set in the latest PSLE format and I believe this update will aid parents and children in their preparation for this section.

PSLE English Tips | Oral: Reading Checklist (Good for P3 and above!)

Download the checklist at:
PSLE English Tips | Oral: Reading Checklist

In about two weeks' time, most P6 pupils will be having their oral examinations for the Prelims. How can you help your children to benefit from their practices at home? In order to help my kids to be more aware of the expectations and some common errors when they practise reading on their own, I have come up with a PEARS reading checklist! Use it for your child's next practice!

PSLE English | Oral: Stimulus-based Conversation Checklist

Download the Stimulus-based Conversation Checklist at:
http://www.lilbutmightyenglish.com/blog/2015/7/12/psle-english-tips-oral-types-of-questions-in-stimulus-based-conversation

There is no time to lose! The weekend is coming and this is the perfect time to prepare for the PSLE oral examination that is coming really soon. Stimulus-based conversation is one of the changes in the new PSLE format in 2015 and many children are stumbled by it. Here is the BLARE checklist which has pointers broken down into five parts. This checklist highlights the attributes that the candidate should display during a conversation.

We have very exciting updates this week as we revamped our homepage and added a 2016 Schedule page to let our readers have a glimpse of what to expect in our 2016 schedule! Do drop by if you are interested to enrol your children for our classes next year!

Primary English Tips | An Exciting Story with a Great Problem (Application to NEW PSLE Format Questions)

How can children apply what we have learnt in our previous post on the 5 types of problems in a story to questions with the new PSLE format? The new PSLE format provides a theme and three pictures in the question. See our tips on how children can prepare for and create a problem to start an exciting story that is aligned with the given criteria.

In this post, we will look at:
1. How thinking of the problem starts from the theme.
2. How a COM statement will give a story idea to aid coming up with a problem.
3. Stuck? How we can use the 5 types of problems to think of one.
4. How to practise and prepare a bank of problems for your stories.

Read the full post here!

View attachment 133313

PSLE English | Oral Conversation: How to fill your stories easier with details + FREE Oral revision cards!

Hello Parents,

With just 7 days to PSLE Oral, I have prepared step-by-step oral revision cards for my children. The steps give a quick overview of what the children should do during reading and stimulus-based conversation. Today's post also highlights 2 points on how children can add details easily to the stories in their conversation response.

Read the tips and download the revision cards here now! :)

For more English tips, visit www.lilbutmightyenglish.com!

Attachments

Last edited: