home timetable necessary for a child?

pink_daisy

hi all,

do u mummies draw up a timetable for your child to follow (at home), esp for those with schooling kids? my son will be attending pri 1 next yr (afternoon session) n i wonder if a timetable is necessary. being the school hoildays now, how does your child spend his days? my son is playing everyday!!!

autumn82

hi all,

do you mummies draw up a timetable for your child to follow (at home), esp for those with schooling kids? my son will be attending pri 1 next your (afternoon session) n i wonder if a timetable is necessary. being the school hoildays now, how does your child spend his days? my son is playing everyday!!!
I think it is good to have a timetable for your child, be it schooling or holidays. :) At least they have something to do.

Belle spends her morning at the playground playing or home playing. In the afternoon after lunch, it's homework time. Followed by some play with her brother and then dinner and end of the day. :001_302:

pink_daisy

my son (age 6 tis year) doesnt like to do any homework... not even writing... really don noe how to set a timetable for him... he doesnt like to learn new things except palying new tv/ computer games!! my gal will follow suit with her brother... play n play together!!

autumn82

my son (age 6 tis year) doesnt like to do any homework... not even writing... really dont know how to set a timetable for him... he doesnt like to learn new things except palying new tv/ computer games!! my gal will follow suit with her brother... play n play together!!
:err::err::err:Then you should reinforce a time for them to do work, and strictly work. Else primary 1 onwards how? Like I always tell my gal, there's a time for everything, play,eat,sleep,homework,go out.

Maybe I never expose my gal to too much of computer games and all, that's why she's still toot toot.. :tlaugh:

camom

Yes for me.

My kid is in childcare, no long school holidays, at most 5 days per year excl the public holidays. She is used to doing homework by now. Her childcare gives homework everyday since N2.

Because we've decided against sending her to BASC next year, I have started to get her used to her new routine a few months back. Now she gets home, bathe, take dinner, then do homework. Btw, homework is not only work from school, I do revisions with her as well. After that she can watch tv or play computer games till 9pm before she gets ready for bed.

Not to frighten you, but writing skills is impt, esp now that STELLAR is implemented in Pri Sch. My sis is a pri sch teacher and she just told me yesterday that MOE seems to be expanding the curriculum for Pri Sch again. There are more and more recommendations and we all know that most sch will adopt them, sigh..

Some schools give alot of homework, others don't. I rather be more well prepared and get my child used to the idea of doing homework. You still have 2+ weeks before sch reopens. Now would be a good time to revise some basic skills with the child.

Last edited:

pink_daisy

:err::err::err:Then you should reinforce a time for them to do work, and strictly work. Else primary 1 onwards how? Like I always tell my gal, there's a time for everything, play,eat,sleep,homework,go out.

Maybe I never expose my gal to too much of computer games and all, that's why she's still toot toot.. :tlaugh:
mayb your gal is more the guai-guai type... easier to handle... haiz.. mayb u r rite oso... my son has been exposed to too much of such games.. tats y his heart too hua, too playful...

pink_daisy

Yes for me.

My kid is in childcare, no long school holidays, at most 5 days per year excl the public holidays. She is used to doing homework by now. Her childcare gives homework everyday since N2.

Because we've decided against sending her to BASC next year, I have started to get her used to her new routine a few months back. Now she gets home, bathe, take dinner, then do homework. Btw, homework is not only work from school, I do revisions with her as well. After that she can watch tv or play computer games till 9pm before she gets ready for bed.

Not to frighten you, but writing skills is impt, esp now that STELLAR is implemented in Pri Sch. My sis is a pri sch teacher and she just told me yesterday that MOE seems to be expanding the curriculum for Pri Sch again. There are more and more recommendations and we all know that most sch will adopt them, sigh..

Some schools give alot of homework, others dont't. I rather be more well prepared and get my child used to the idea of doing homework. You still have 2+ weeks before sch reopens. Now would be a good time to revise some basic skills with the child.
yes, my son is using stellar in his school... his handwriting depends on his mood...gd mood = neat handwriting.. bad mood = messy n big handwriting..
he doesnt listen to me n asking him to sit down to do some homework (english n chinese writing) or even some simple mathematics is really a tough task..

autumn82

mayb your gal is more the guai-guai type... easier to handle... sigh.. mayb you are rite also... my son has been exposed to too much of such games.. tats why his heart too hua, too playful...
*pats*

Dun give up, I think u still can inmplement a timetable for him. :) Just have to be strict and since computer games is a MUST for him, tell him to do the work nicely, then can play. Else confiscate.

pink_daisy

*pats*

dont give up, I think you still can inmplement a timetable for him. :) Just have to be strict and since computer games is a MUST for him, tell him to do the work nicely, then can play. Else confiscate.
i tried tis method b4...but he just want to rush thru watever assignments given so tat he can play!!!

autumn82

i tried tis method before...but he just want to rush thru watever assignments given so that he can play!!!
Err.. Like I've said, if he rushed thru w wrong ans and messy work, return bk and redo. No games until done nicely. :001_302::001_302::001_302:

camom

i tried tis method before...but he just want to rush thru watever assignments given so that he can play!!!
Do you give him alot of work? Must start off bit by bit. I give my kid recognition and rewards. For your case, since he loves computer games so much, you can use computer time as a bargaining chip? If write nicely, get xx min bonus time on the computer? If this doesn't work, then I'll also do what autumn82 suggest, lock up the computer & tv games and make him go cold turkey.

Ok, I admit I am 1 strict mommy. If her handwriting is not neat and legible, I will make her erase and redo. For math, I will mark as wrong if I can't read it. In the beginning, my kid will cry but I told her it's a fact of life. If teacher can't understand, he/she will not give you marks.

camom

Errr... forgot to add: It's impt for us parents to show that we take homework seriously as well. If I give my child homework to do, I must make the effort to mark it and go through with her the worksheets, esp those she got wrong. Don't want to give her the impression that the work is not impt.

I think most imptly, the child must take pride in the sch work. I was told for STELLAR, parents have to help the child do research for assignments.