How did you know WHEN to switch to formula? (6 month old baby)

esta_837

How did you know WHEN it's time to switch to formula milk??? Did you simply KNOW that your supply was diminishing and then slowly supplement with formula until totally no more supply? I'm just wondering because my baby is nearly 6 months now, and I'm still breastfeeding her exclusively. Just quite worried if she's still getting enough, as I've also started solids. I don't feed her EBM because she has never liked the bottle (thus direct latch on).

She can drink from those bottles with a spout now though.

Did you wait till baby didn't gain weight then only started on formula? What other signs did you use as a giude?

Please excuse me if this question has been asked before...I hope this is not a repeat question.

diymummy

That's what I did when I was weaning my baby from direct latch on, ie, supplement when my baby does not have enough. In my case, I know my baby wasn't getting enough and my supply was diminishing since I returned to work.

I think as long as she continues to latch, she should be getting enough. If you're worried abt fluid intake upon starting solids, you can introduce water.

bibiluvr

hi dear,
there r so many mummies who bf their children beyond the 6 month mark... for me, my ger is going to be 7 month soon n i wan to breastfeed her for as long as i can...she only weighs 6 kg at 6 months, a gain of 200g from her 4 month weight, but i did not want to introduce formula.. just continue with breastfeeding n cereal...she doesn't like to drink from bottle oso... but i expresses once daily to stock up n to train her to drink from bottle...
it's a demand n supply thing.. if u can continue with bfeeding, go ahead...i'm proud of mums who can bf their children for 2 yrs n beyond....

How did you know WHEN it's time to switch to formula milk??? Did you simply KNOW that your supply was diminishing and then slowly supplement with formula until totally no more supply? I'm just wondering because my baby is nearly 6 months now, and I'm still breastfeeding her exclusively. Just quite worried if she's still getting enough, as I've also started solids. I dont't feed her EBM because she has never liked the bottle (thus direct latch on).

She can drink from those bottles with a spout now though.

Did you wait till baby didn't gain weight then only started on formula? What other signs did you use as a giude?

Please excuse me if this question has been asked before...I hope this is not a repeat question.

allycat

Hi esta

There are many mommies in this forum who are breastfeeding beyond 12 months. like bibiluvr mentioned, breastmilk is a demand and supply thing so dont give up :D