how do u breastfeed calm n steadily??

msck

I had been direct latching her in the first few days until my nipple became sore n bled. Also, i had difficulty moving after the stitiches got swollen from too much walking. So i just pumped out n let my cl fed

I have been exclusively pumping my bm out 4-5hours with 100-200ml since then.

But i am thinking of direct latch now. Pls advice!
1) do u massage before direct latch? I found it silly as bb crying n thrre u r massage first.
2) isn't it messy when she feed on u? Like milk leaking out from the corner of the mouth. Also. Sometimes she's full, then when i unlatch her, my milk will still be driping!! She drinks 100-120ml when bottle feed her. N it's messy. Milk drip on her, on the floor!
3) how much time u spent cleaning up after each feed? Urself n her. Then alsi need to pump out the other side....
4) how do u feed so naturally n coolly? I mean u got to carry her properly n bend down??

I found it messy n troublesome to breastfeed! How!? can someone lecture me n correct my mindset? I pump before her feed everytime, so she kind of drink fresh one. Then another 100+ml i will freeze it. I have like... 30bags since 11sept.

i think yr problem might be having a fast let down. milk overflowing , as what u claim yr bb dripping milk out fr mouth. flow is too fast for bb to swallow all milk.

solution: u can pump out some milk first before latching her direct. normally it is the first let down that is too fast.

the direct breast leaking milk while feeding. if you are using/wearing nursing bra, it will be easier. you can also put the breastpad in bra to absorb the milk if you are wearig nursing bra or those cotton bra without wire. i believe very messy only if you are totally bare while feeding her.

you can try to prop baby up with pillow pn yr arms or back to create most comfy position to feed. can also use breastfeeding pillow.

You are very funny hehe... And what a cow you have become... I wish I were in your situation man!

do you standby any bibs or towels?

For your situation doubt u even need to do massage...already making so much milk wo massaging... :)

felicity

Sigh I wish I'm in ur shoes too! I nv massage.. Because bb is wailing away. There's never leaking or milk dripping... I wish I have abundance of milk like you do!! The only signs that bb is actually drinking my milk when latching on is when she agitated and rub her face fiercely on my breast, she will hv some milk on her little chubby cheeks... And if bf lying down on her side, milk may leak out from her mouth... due to gravity? :p and occasionally she may spit out milk. i only massage while pumping but not fully cos partially covered by the pumps... when I pump also dun get 100ml total nowadays.. Sigh...

msck

a cow..

Seriously. I do feel like one n i have stored up so much milk in my freezer. Thinking og giving away but mom say keep for longer... Dunno for wat. When i hit 50bags, i shall donate some away...

msck

fast letdown

Ya. I suspect i gave fast letdown too. Pumping out first is a good idea. My mom always encourage me to bf. So when i am pumping halfway after 15minutes, she will ask if i can bf her abit then give her another 60-80ml bottlefeed after tt.

But then, wgen i go out how?? Cannot bf?

msck

massage

I still do that 4 steps massage before i pump milk. I was told i should massage before bf!?

Anyway, felicity, u try use warm water to wipe or put on ur breasts for few secs before pumping, it helps the flow. I use warm water before massage n clean up after pump. Sometimes after i used the warm water, milk just flow even before massage.

msck, the leaking part wont carry on for very long. once yr body know how much milk to create each time, they will stablise and thus leaking part will be very very minimal. then u will feel less engorge even when it is time to feed/pump, dont fear that less engorge means less milk, no, body adjusted to the demand already.

for me, for the first 2 months, i still use breastpads. but until now, when doing latching when im not botttlefeeding, my breast will only leak a little once i latch on my the other breast.

you can still place a hankerchief on bb to prevent milk from flowing now. the hankerchief is also helpful when u decide to unlatch and use that cloth to stop the flow fr yr breast if there is.

actually it is not neccessary to massage before bf since yr flow is great. but if you have block ducts few months down the road, massage and warmn towel can help a little

xiaodaisy

1) usually people massage to ensure a better milk flow , as for ur case , since ur over flowing den there's not a need to do so , anyway for those who need to massage , try to massage 10-15mins early den ur baby usual feeding time so u dont have to do it under the stress of a crying hungry baby =)

2) Yup ! at first it will be messy , baby's small mouth , slow drinker , our boobs leaked too fast thus making milk flow out of the corner of their mouth but treat is as a fun time for them , i used to spray my milk all over my girl's face and i always laugh at her of getting a milk facial fm me as time pass , it will be easier for u to handle such situation =)

try to wear nursing bra when u latch so when u unlatch , faster prop ur boobs back to ur nursing bra n let it leak to the pads instead of everywhere =)

3) for myself , less den 5mins , for my baby .. less den 5mins too , just take a hankie rinse with warm water and clean her face =) as she grow older , no more messy and thus dont even need to clean her up ! =)

for me , i'm a sahm so i fully latch thus save me time to pump , so if ur a working mom saving up supply would be good cos after u return work , its not easy to maintain supply , as work sometimes will stress and stress will cause u to decrease supply .. sometimes too busy at work might make u lower ur pumping times too =)

4) i use the lying position to feed her and we both will sleep together =) so its swift & easy !

during latching , our body will produce a hormones that make us relax thus always making us sleepy when latching , therefore try the lying method and its better den dozing off while u sit & bf =) baby sleep , mummy sleep ! win win situation =)

as time pass and u get hold of better bf-ing , u will find its not a hassle and its very convincence to bf baby outside too

jiayou ! bf-ing is not a chore , its a bonding between u & ur baby ! =)

u will love it as time pass and when u master the easy way to do it =)

msck

bf

Hey, i tried bf twice today!!

Once when i was pumping halfway. Another is jus bf on one side at 9+, just feed her bottle of my epm just now.

Yup. Less leaking i guess like so.e of u said, as they grow, less messy.. But when she unlatch half way, milk kinda drip n spray on her face again n i panicked!! Thank god my mom was around n remind me to stop the flow first! Think i seriously need more practices....

felicity

I was reading this.. It says milk supply will adjust later to suit bb's need n no more leaking.. http://kellymom.com/bf/got-milk/supply-worries/low-supply/

I latch everyday but still learning too... Thanks xiaodaisy for sharing.. I still dun dare to go out cos bb always move a lot during latching I worry of I use shawl to cover she will still expose me! Tried a couple of times at home n gave up, got shawl like no shawl >< n she latches nonstop if go nursing room sit inside all the way might as well stay at home.. Haha.. So now confinement is over but still confined at home with bb :/

MommyThad

As i first time mommy - i realised v littlle education given to us..
1- u must have positive mindset towards bf- bm is gd for bb n bf gd for me ;)
2- feed on demand as bb cries for hunger, uncomfortable and boring- if u feed as bb demand, u less likely get a super cranky bb
3- sore nipple is common as both u n bb dun noe bf technique yet-- takes time to master the art. Basically stuff whole breast to bb's mouth so tt he latch on properly.. Meantime smear some bm or nipple cream to ur nipple n go braless
4 bath everyday or twice a day for hygiene.. B4 and after feeding, jus clean nipple will do if u bath
5 NO i dun massage b4 latch on otherwise i will squirt all my milk out.. I let bb latch on n once he begin to suck- i massage my breast and practice makes perfect
6 at night i pump 4 hourly if bb nvr wake up n yes pls pump the otherside of breast if bb nvr feed -- this is build up the milk dupple..
Lastly sit back n enjoy.. I m still bf my coming 21 mth old boy ;)

MommyThad

When i m at work i pump and store for my bb's next day feeding.. Go out i jus bring pump or bb out.. I bf anywhr i wan as it is no crime.. Better than ppl wear low cut till nipple can see.. Lol

msck

Mummythad n racheling, i tried bf once the day before n last night. She only drank one side, full already... Then i pumped out the other side. How eh? Like tt go out also must pump....

xiaodaisy

I was reading this.. It says milk supply will adjust later to suit bb's need n no more leaking.. http://kellymom.com/bf/got-milk/supply-worries/low-supply/

I latch everyday but still learning too... Thanks xiaodaisy for sharing.. I still dun dare to go out cos bb always move a lot during latching I worry of I use shawl to cover she will still expose me! Tried a couple of times at home n gave up, got shawl like no shawl >< n she latches nonstop if go nursing room sit inside all the way might as well stay at home.. Haha.. So now confinement is over but still confined at home with bb :/
maybe get those longer nursing covers , so can cover the whole upper body den wont scare of exposed ..

when they grow older , they tend to latch shorter when outside so dont worry , try to unlatch after 20-30mins cos might be comfort sucking , if baby cries den comfort baby in other ways as in tapping lightly on butt and talk to baby etc ..

i always free n easy to go out .. a mini sling bag with nursing cover , wipes & diapers in the first 5mths after that free n easy i bring nothing out expect myself =)

msck

hey ladies, i have been trying to direct latch her more often now. and OMG, i think my supply has kind of increased. 4 hours, and my sides started leaking... last time 5-7 hours...