how do we know if baby is in shock?

junkee

when my ds is sleeping, he will jump suddenly and cry as if there is no tomorrow. as if something have scare him. sometimes, he will just jump without crying.

my mum told me that the area around his up lips n nose are abit greenish, which indicate he is in shock.

anyone have experience this? or heard of this? how to prevent this from happening?

Amulet

im interested to know too.. DD get frighten easily this 2 days.. become very fretful n restless.. even night time also cry in slp alot.. haiz..

LoVeS

Normally if the bb is sound aslp n suddenly jump up n cry it could b due to scared by nitemares or SOUNDS frm the bb surrounding tt cause the bb in shocked.

It gd to place a bean sprout pillow or green bean pillow to put on the bb chest which will cut down the chances of SHOCKED n let ur bb feel more secured. My ds till now still using his green bean pillow when he slp n at times he simply place the green bean pillow on his face. :tlaugh:

Amulet

Normally if the bb is sound aslp n suddenly jump up n cry it could b due to scared by nitemares or SOUNDS frm the bb surrounding tt cause the bb in shocked.

It gd to place a bean sprout pillow or green bean pillow to put on the bb chest which will cut down the chances of SHOCKED n let ur bb feel more secured. My ds till now still using his green bean pillow when he slp n at times he simply place the green bean pillow on his face. :tlaugh:
i got use the green bean pillow.. but doesnt really seems to help.. :(

IJmum

Mummies, just wondering, how old are yr babies? From what i know, it is normal for infants / babies to startle (known as the startling reflex). I've also read about this thing called 'night terror' from the book "What To Expect The Toddler years". Usually happens to toddlers. Happened to my ds a few times when he was 1-2 yrs old. They will suddenly cry in their sleep and no matter how you try to console them, they can't stop crying. It's a normal phase which will pass.

LoVeS

i got use the green bean pillow.. but doesnt really seems to help.. :(
U need to let ur bb get use to the green bean pillow mah. Cannot b straight away effective 1 lor, initially my ds aso still got shocked but later no more. Sumore ur green bean pillow cannot b too small n too light if nt useless 1.

IJmum

The startle reflex is normal for newborns and very young babies. So it is normal for both yr babies, who r 2 wks and 6 wks. My 2 sons also get startled or shocked easily when they were infants. Like LoVes, i also put a grean beans pillow on their chest. But not always effective cos they still startle here and there. It's a reflex mah, cannot prevent. But rest assured it will go away after 2-3 months. You can ask yr PD abt it if u still worried.

junkee

thanks for the assurance.

mine is a headache, sometimes when changing pampers also, crylike the sky has just fallen on him. sigh

Last edited:
As far as I know these things will cause a sleeping baby to suddenly jump up and cry:

startle reflex (for young infants)
learning a new skill or reaching a new stage
over-stimulation

Amulet

but for my case, DD is suddenly loud scream/cry in her nap.. normally evenin time.. the scream sound wierd.. not like normal crying de.. sound like machiam kena frighten like tat.. i listen liao also scare lo.. normally she calms down n fall back to sleep after we carry her and hug her for awhile.. my mum brought incense sticks n 拜床母 yesterday, hoping it would help..

LoVeS

but for my case, DD is suddenly loud scream/cry in her nap.. normally evenin time.. the scream sound wierd.. not like normal crying de.. sound like machiam kena frighten like tat.. i listen liao also scare lo.. normally she calms down n fall back to sleep after we carry her and hug her for awhile.. my mum brought incense sticks n 拜床母 yesterday, hoping it would help..
Given to me i am quite superstitious tts why we got 拜床母 for my ds but even till now my ds aso once in awhile suddenly cry frm his slp at nite. I guess more or less the bb got frighten so when they slp they tend to haf nitemares or watever which is quite common lor. Even we adults do haf nitemares too BUT for bb they can only react or seek attention by crying as they duno how to express themselves coz they duno how to tok.

Dun really haf to worry too much it is quite common 1 n if possible dun play too much or let the bb luff too much which olden days ppl said tt if bb play too much or luff too much which they will haf nitemares at nite. Indeed whenever my ds play or luff too much which he will haf nitemares at nite as my ds is quite pantang 1.

-SRI-

hmmm..for mly babies, i tink they usually wrap bb wit a cloth so the bb feel secure as if someone carry her..smth like tt... last time we didnt practice it to Nur cz she don like it...infact she'll cry even more..movement restriction ma..so let her slp as per normal but when she cry in her nap, i'll quickly carry her...kiss her forehead.. rub her hair gently.. pat her butt gently.. and lastly talk to her said "mom's here..don be scared..I luv u.." once she stops crying den i'll sing a sing for her till she fall aslee...:tlaugh: but it works!!! since tt day take her away frm my sis n her HB cz i don understand y they cant pacify Nur... so i slp wit Nur beside me n I luv it when she hold my pinky finger while sleeping.. Miz those days when she still a bb.. Nw she's 1yr plus oredi...:wong19:

Last edited:

-SRI-

Given to me i am quite superstitious tts why we got 拜床母 for my ds but even till now my ds aso once in awhile suddenly cry frm his slp at nite. I guess more or less the bb got frighten so when they slp they tend to haf nitemares or watever which is quite common lor. Even we adults do haf nitemares too BUT for bb they can only react or seek attention by crying as they duno how to express themselves coz they duno how to tok.

Dun really haf to worry too much it is quite common 1 n if possible dun play too much or let the bb luff too much which olden days ppl said tt if bb play too much or luff too much which they will haf nitemares at nite. Indeed whenever my ds play or luff too much which he will haf nitemares at nite as my ds is quite pantang 1.
tis one my mum oso gt said to me... but sometimes its nt me who make her laugh..she abit thing oso muz laugh...end up i kena scolded by mum but actually nt me lor...her grand daughter is juz too hyper n too cheerful la...

xue

The startle reflex is normal for newborns and very young babies. So it is normal for both yr babies, who r 2 wks and 6 wks. My 2 sons also get startled or shocked easily when they were infants. Like LoVes, i also put a grean beans pillow on their chest. But not always effective cos they still startle here and there. It's a reflex mah, cannot prevent. But rest assured it will go away after 2-3 months. You can ask yr PD abt it if u still worried.
but my baby over 3 mths stil get shock leh..

xue

the bean sprout pillow oso cover my ds face..until he cant breath lo..
lucky i went to check on him..n saw him strugglin..so i faster took it away..
it happen twice le..nw i dare not use it le..where to get heavy bean sprout pillow?coz mine quite light leh

LoVeS

hmmm..for mly babies, i tink they usually wrap bb wit a cloth so the bb feel secure as if someone carry her..smth like tt... last time we didnt practice it to Nur cz she don like it...infact she'll cry even more..movement restriction ma..so let her slp as per normal but when she cry in her nap, i'll quickly carry her...kiss her forehead.. rub her hair gently.. pat her butt gently.. and lastly talk to her said "mom's here..don be scared..I luv u.." once she stops crying den i'll sing a sing for her till she fall aslee...:tlaugh: but it works!!! since tt day take her away frm my sis n her HB cz i don understand y they cant pacify Nur... so i slp wit Nur beside me n I luv it when she hold my pinky finger while sleeping.. Miz those days when she still a bb.. Nw she's 1yr plus oredi...:wong19:
same as my ds he aso dun like ppl wrapping him up n sumore if bb get used to wrap then u need time to let bb get used to it w/o wrapping.

LoVeS

tis one my mum oso gt said to me... but sometimes its nt me who make her laugh..she abit thing oso muz laugh...end up i kena scolded by mum but actually nt me lor...her grand daughter is juz too hyper n too cheerful la...
YES i totally understand wat u mean coz my ds aso like tt 1, abit thing only aso luff n even when i scold him he aso can luff *faintZ*