How do you teach your baby to chew??

diymummy

Realised that he doesn't know how to chew.. Have tried to give him biscuits a few times and he just bites and gags on them.

CJmom

hi diymummy

Have you started on cereal first? Biscuits might be rough though they melt in your mouth. Usuallly babies learn to chew when they are ready. You can try cereal and put a bit on the spoon then let him explore the spoon in his mouth.

diymummy

Hi CJMon,

Yes he's already eating cereal and porridge and his cereal and porridge has a thick consistency.

I've also tried putting the spoon in his mouth but he will push it away. Though he enjoys munching on his teether...

Ting

i would think that chewing comes quite naturally?
will it be the biscuit is too tasty tts why he is too eager to eat thus gag?

diymummy

LOL! Yeah... Maybe the biscuit is tasty. I bought the "Baby Bites" Carrot flavour biscuit for him. I tried giving him the plain rice flavour one but he doesn't even want to bite. The carrot flavour one I re-intro him recently but he gags on it.

Do you all think that introducing him a few more times he would learn that he needs to chew?

snowbear

LOL! Yeah... Maybe the biscuit is tasty. I bought the "Baby Bites" Carrot flavour biscuit for him. I tried giving him the plain rice flavour one but he doesn't even want to bite. The carrot flavour one I re-intro him recently but he gags on it.

Do you all think that introducing him a few more times he would learn that he needs to chew?
Has he tried rusks? Those are really hard and he can practise chewing on them... useful for teething little ones too... :)

Actually i dunno how to teach bb to chew coz i also tot it's a natural instinct. Alicia since she started eating will chew and chew even though erm, there's nothing to chew coz when she started it was all very smooth puree. :tlaugh::tlaugh:

diymummy

Thanks snowbear mummy!

Maybe I'll try the rusks... Was hesitant to start them coz they contain cheese? Or cheese extracts. My ds has sensitive tummy so I didn't dare to start. He's reaching 1 year soon. Guess I'll start next month :)

apollo

Has he tried rusks? Those are really hard and he can practise chewing on them... useful for teething little ones too... :)

Actually i dont know how to teach baby to chew coz i also thought it's a natural instinct. Alicia since she started eating will chew and chew even though erm, there's nothing to chew coz when she started it was all very smooth puree. :tlaugh::tlaugh:
snowbear mummy, is the rusk for teething? those v hard one from Heinz? is the rusk sweet? cos i boguht ds the Heinz baby biscuits but i feel that it is abit too sweet...

btw diymummy, same as Alicia, ds also lik to do the chewing pattern. he will chew his spoon when i feed him cereal. even when the biscuit has melt in his mouth long ago, he is still chewing it... -.-"""

snowbear

snowbear mummy, is the rusk for teething? those very hard one from Heinz? is the rusk sweet? cos i boguht dear son the Heinz baby biscuits but i feel that it is abit too sweet...

btw diymummy, same as Alicia, dear son also lik to do the chewing pattern. he will chew his spoon when i feed him cereal. even when the biscuit has melt in his mouth long ago, he is still chewing it... -.-"""
I bought Bellamy's toothie pegs and yup, it's for teething. :) Very hard.

diymummy

Hi Regina mummy,

I read the contents of the teething rusks from Heinz. I don't remember seeing added sugar but there's a disclaimer that says that they added some salt to make the rusks stay hard.

CJmom

hi diymummy

Maybe then you want to hold back giving him biscuits? Cos they don't know how to control the amount to put in mouth; they just keep stuffing in. Heinz is really hard and they come in packs of 2. Usu they don't finish even 1 stick but don't break it cos otherwise it comes short and choking hazard. Or you can find those Want Want milk balls to use as training?

apollo

or maybe an try gerber graduate puff?? the one which is in start shape.. very tasty and it will melt in the mouth... v safe for babies. ds loves it!! hehe...​

diymummy

I was considering between using the bigger biscuits as compared to those small puffs kind like wang wang and gerber puffs. Was afraid he'd swallow the puffs whole so didn't get those. The bigger kinds like baby bites he would have to bite some off first before swallowing so at least he can control the amount he bites off?? I don't know... Maybe I'll try those out too (the small puffs). LOL. Buy variety and see how he handles them.

The baby bites comes in 2 pieces a pack as well. I just give him 1 and then store the other piece in the fridge to maintain its crispy-ness.

apollo

I was considering between using the bigger biscuits as compared to those small puffs kind like wang wang and gerber puffs. Was afraid he'd swallow the puffs whole so didn't get those. The bigger kinds like baby bites he would have to bite some off first before swallowing so at least he can control the amount he bites off?? I dont't know... Maybe I'll try those out too (the small puffs). LOL. Buy variety and see how he handles them.

The baby bites comes in 2 pieces a pack as well. I just give him 1 and then store the other piece in the fridge to maintain its crispy-ness.
usually for baby bites, ds eat half of a piece and the remaining 1 and a half piece goes into my mouth. haha!!