How do you tell if your baby is hungry at night?

shespice

shespice, if she wakes up around 2-3am then you dont give milk how you make her sleep? give water?

your girl's schedule looks very much like mine. she usually sleeps 9.30pm and 50% of the time she wakes up around 5-6am and 50% of the time she will wake around 2am.. i tried not giving her milk by carrying her. sometimes she goes back to sleep after i put her down but sometimes she will start crying and end up takes me 1.5hrs to make her sleep without giving her milk.. i feel im disturbing her nice sleep.. thinking of giving up and simply give her milk so that she dont wake up too much at night... she cant take water cos she dosent know how to use a bottle...
I used to breastfeed her at that time if she wakes up but these days, I would try not to feed her coz l was also thinking I may disturb her sleep or it becomes a habit and that will affect me as I have to go to work LOL. I hear her waking up and sometimes she lets out a little cry then move about a bit so I pat her and so far she will go back to sleep. If she doesn't open her eyes, I let her be or like I mentioned before I give her some water and then she goes back to sleep. Do you think it would help if you try to just pat her instead of carrying her when she wakes up? Just thinking that if we reduce movement it may help? But I do understand that if she wants milk,you would have to carry her up to breastfeed. I think its ok to give her milk if that helps her to go back to sleep faster. That said, I think their schedule still not so consistent coz I also get that occasional mid morning wake up call from her and then have to listen to her "singing" LOL and play with her coz its not always that she wants milk when she wakes up hahaha.

annie

oh patting.. it dosent work for my girl since born lol. ive tried patting her when she cries at night or even daytime but then she jsut cry more! at night she usually cry with eyes close so i hackcare her n let her cry.. see if she will falls back asleep or not. but if she dun, after bout 2mins i will try rubbing her chest n pat softly but then always dun work la. she just cry louder lol. then i will carry her up n usually feed her milk cos its the easiest n fastest way to get her to sleep back but then recently, knowingly that she isnt hungry, i tried not to feed her cos like u, i dun wan her to get into the habit of always having milk when she wakes at night so i dun give her hoping that she wont wake at 1-2am for milk anymore...so instead of milk, i carry her n swing softly.. sometimes she fell back asleep in 5mins till morning 6am (though i never give milk! so she isnt hungry afterall lol) but sometimes i rock her for 1.5hrs then she sleep! so i wonder.. if i should give her milk again cos if not, she sleep 1.5hrs lesser at night since the rocking takes 1.5hrs at times...

shespice

think we have to try out different ways and see which works lol. tonite she slept at almost 8plus after i gave her 200ml of fm and i thought she knock out and will sleep through.....but no! hahaha, she woke up around 10 just a bit, i went to give her some water lol...then she fall back, then just a while ago she woke again making noise so i just carried her for a few minutes, changed her sleeping position, pat a bit and now she sleeping again lol....hope she will sleep ok... so still not consistent lol...

annie

hehe these few days my girl sleep at 9.30pm n wake up around 4.45-5.15am for milk once... but she is early bird. wake up early everyday... at 7am!