How long do you bf?

KAmum

What's the duration of each bf? Sorry if I'm asking too many questions heehee :p
my mum makes me stop at 10minutes cuz bb used to throw up (not anymore)
I realized that if I stop she'll cry and start rooting. If I don't stop she can drink for as long as 30minutes.
Is this normal ? :O

chiro san

Yes it's normal, anyway breastfeeding is on demand. Babies will de-latch once they are satisfied and they will look like drunken sailors. Haha!

KAmum

Yes it's normal, anyway breastfeeding is on demand. Babies will de-latch once they are satisfied and they will look like drunken sailors. Haha!
HAHA NICE DESCRIPTION ;D so it is normal that she wants to be fed almost every hour in the afternoon? Phew I thought she was eating too much >.<

ast0212

Yep what chiro san said:D

My son was a half hour one breast feeder.when it came to growth spurts he would feed for 1 hour every 2 hours!

My daughter finishes in 5-10 mins one breast too. She feeds whenever she wants, can be 1, 2 or 3 hourly.

It is normal for babies to want to feed every hour, as tiring as it may be! It doesn't mean you don't have enough milk...it means your baby wants more milk hehe.. go with the flow :)

Dreamrat

I used to bf my baby with no issue (sufficient supply). But after she took FM for one day, and I recovered from fever, my supply cannot meet her demand... I think so cos she will latch on drink drink then delatch and cry... Iike very sad for no milk flowing out from my breast... Or is it because bottle feed is easier for her?

I tried to pump when she skipped a meal from me since she drank FM. I realized that I produced 60ml only....

KAmum

My son was a half hour one breast feeder.when it came to growth spurts he would feed for 1 hour every 2 hours!

My daughter finishes in 5-10 mins one breast too. She feeds whenever she wants, can be 1, 2 or 3 hourly.

It is normal for babies to want to feed every hour, as tiring as it may be! It doesn't mean you don't have enough milk...it means your baby wants more milk hehe.. go with the flow :)
Tjanks. Thought I wasn't producing enough >.< huge scare there :/

KAmum

I used to bf my baby with no issue (sufficient supply). But after she took FM for one day, and I recovered from fever, my supply cannot meet her demand... I think so cos she will latch on drink drink then delatch and cry... Iike very sad for no milk flowing out from my breast... Or is it because bottle feed is easier for her?

I tried to pump when she skipped a meal from me since she drank FM. I realized that I produced 60ml only....
Worried I have the same prob as you because bb drank formula a few days ago as I had food poisoning and was too weak to feed her. Just for one night tho. Hmm..... :/

ast0212

KAmum:657627 said:

Tjanks. Thought I wasn't producing enough >.< huge scare there :/
Sometimes it's to do with milk capacity which varies between woman to woman, breast to breast. Nothing to do with breast size, just some breasts hold more milk and some hold less, but both can make the same amount of milk. Think of it as drinking water from a glass, you can drink water from a big glass like how you can drink the same amount from a small glass, just drinking more frequently:)

Another factor to consider is that breastmilk is easily digested so babies tend to get hungry again quickly.

Oh yeah forgot to add, my daughter threw up a lot too in the early weeks. It was quite frightening the amount she would throw up but she was still so content after. She's a little piggy and was stacking on weight. Our nurse said it was fine as their oesophagus was still developing and some babies are just happy chuckers. If your baby is upset after throwing up, not gaining weight, it could be reflux.

KAmum

Sometimes it's to do with milk capacity which varies between woman to woman, breast to breast. Nothing to do with breast size, just some breasts hold more milk and some hold less, but both can make the same amount of milk. Think of it as drinking water from a glass, you can drink water from a big glass like how you can drink the same amount from a small glass, just drinking more frequently:)

Another factor to consider is that breastmilk is easily digested so babies tend to get hungry again quickly.

Oh yeah forgot to add, my daughter threw up a lot too in the early weeks. It was quite frightening the amount she would throw up but she was still so content after. She's a little piggy and was stacking on weight. Our nurse said it was fine as their oesophagus was still developing and some babies are just happy chuckers. If your baby is upset after throwing up, not gaining weight, it could be reflux.
My baby smiles after throwing up. Goodness and I thought she was crazy lol. Thanks so much this was so helpful <:
she does have a lot of gas in her tummy however . Doctor prescribed ridwind. Don't understand how she got air though, I always burp her after each feed :( poor girl.

ast0212

Haha cute little girl! Yeah babies tend to be windy in general, when they cry they take lots of wind in as well. If she's happy and wind isn't causing too much discomfort I wouldn't bother with the rid wind stuff. They do grow out of it by around 10-12 Weeks :)

KAmum

Haha cute little girl! Yeah babies tend to be windy in general, when they cry they take lots of wind in as well. If she's happy and wind isn't causing too much discomfort I wouldn't bother with the rid wind stuff. They do grow out of it by around 10-12 Weeks :)
:)
hmmm okay. I only give her the meds because she looks so uncomfortable when she rolls around and farts >.< 10 weeks is very long LOL. Thank you very much. I never knew they take in air when they cried . And she cries alooooot :eek:

Dreamrat

Worried I have the same prob as you because bb drank formula a few days ago as I had food poisoning and was too weak to feed her. Just for one night tho. Hmm..... :/
I found out why from my mum. Think it is due to the food that I ate that caused the low supply. My MIL dunno what food bf mum can't take. She cooked "cool" food for me e.g bean sprout and cabbage. I ate them... She also didn't make the soup rite.. But we can't say much cos already explained to her.... I only can skip it if it is served to me.

Ekari

my baby used to throw up alot as well, and I was so scared. My mom was all over me I shouldn't do this and that ... btw, after bf ing do you guys try to ensure the baby burp?

KAmum

my baby used to throw up alot as well, and I was so scared. My mom was all over me I shouldn't do this and that ... btw, after bf ing do you guys try to ensure the baby burp?
Tell ur mum not to stress you out haha :p when I'm stressed my milk supply decreases >.> yes must ensure they burp. Or they'll feel very uncomfortable and in my case, she won't stop crying until the air (or even milk) comes out and she feels better >.< so always burp them! :)

ast0212

If your baby is having at least 6 wet nappies a day and is gaining some weight, you're making enough milk for her :)

Trust your boobs:D

lyra

My baby spit milk after feeding too. Some babies spit so much that a mummy here coined it "merlioned". It looks like he threw up the entire feeding but in fact its not so much and he did drink enough to keep himself full because he gained weight and is very active and healthy. Using the term "throw up" made it seem like baby is sick but actually its not. He's just spitting the milk out because his stomach is still immature. My baby spitted milk until he's 5 months old. He gradually spit lesser and lesser until he don't spit anymore. By that time, he doesn't need burping anymore too. He burps naturally after a feeding. I'm don't supplement with FM and try as much as possible not to worry about him not having enough. Like what ast0212 say, I trust my boobs. LOL. Don't worry mummies, if your baby is gaining weight and active, the milk spitting is more of a laundry problem. It will be over soon :)

KAmum

Yes she's been having wet nappies and pooing as well as gaining some weight ... Hmmmm still worried though cuz I'm kind of a paranoid person . Thanks mummies anyway :p