How long do you breastfeed your baby?

Cupidlovesme

How long would you breastfeed your baby for? 6 months? 1 year? 2 year or more? Not for comparison but just curious on how other mummies are doing =)

Hi there!
I intended at least 1 yr.. if possible to 2 yrs or even till next bb..
Ends up with a heavy heart.. i decided to shelf the pump after 12mths coming 13mths as it left less than 10ml a day
Wil do better on next round!!!!

Cupidlovesme

Hi there!
I intended at least 1 yr.. if possible to 2 yrs or even till next baby..
Ends up with a heavy heart.. i decided to shelf the pump after 12mths coming 13mths as it left less than 10ml a day
i wanna breastfeed for a year but my mil is so against it. My Baby s very active and he's not those chubby type, now only 8kg at 7 months old. Hence mil always hints me to stop breastfeeding n keeps telling me her fren's grandson is very chubby bcos he drinks fm. She always think that bm is very diluted and not as nutritious.. She has nvr breastfeed b4 n she doesn't know how good bm is.. Sigh..That's y I need to know on average how long other mums do it so that i can convince her!

ast0212

1st baby 18 months. He weaned himself halfway through my second pregnancy.
2nd baby still going at 27 months. I'm 13 weeks pregnant now so will see whether she decides to wean soon or share milk with baby!

ast0212

Cupidlovesme:871931 said:
Hi there!
I intended at least 1 yr.. if possible to 2 yrs or even till next baby..
i wanna breastfeed for a year but my mil is so against it. My Baby s very active and he's not those chubby type, now only 8kg at 7 months old. Hence mil always hints me to stop breastfeeding n keeps telling me her fren's grandson is very chubby bcos he drinks fm. She always think that bm is very diluted and not as nutritious.. She has nvr breastfeed b4 n she doesn't know how good bm is.. Sigh..That's y I need to know on average how long other mums do it so that i can convince her!
Breast milk is far more nutritious than formula!!! It contains precious antibodies that protect baby's immune system, it is gentle on their stomach and the vitamins and other goodness in breastmilk are easily absorbed into baby's body much better than fm.

Unfortunately the older generation grew up believing fm is better...it is up to this generation to bring back breastfeeding and fortunately we are supported with scientific evidence...and it is all this research that pushes me to bf my kids for at least 2 years.

If you want to continue, don't be swayed by mil, you won't regret it! :)

Cupidlovesme

Breast milk is far more nutritious than formula!!! It contains precious antibodies that protect baby's immune system, it is gentle on their stomach and the vitamins and other goodness in breastmilk are easily absorbed into baby's body much better than fm.

Unfortunately the older generation grew up believing fm is better...it is up to this generation to bring back breastfeeding and fortunately we are supported with scientific evidence...and it is all this research that pushes me to bf my kids for at least 2 years.

If you want to continue, don't be swayed by mil, you won't regret it! :)
She doubt at my supply initially so i pump n stock up the fridge to prove her wrong, now the fridge is super full n she said bm is no good. I'm really speechless dee.. Will try to ignore her n continue my bf journey :)

Cupidlovesme

1st baby 18 months. He weaned himself halfway through my second pregnancy.
2nd baby still going at 27 months. I'm 13 weeks pregnant now so will see whether she decides to wean soon or share milk with baby!
You r good! Salute!

Last edited:
Yes do continue yr bf journey!!! Fm fed babies tend to be chubby bcoz of the content.. and heard not the right kind of chubby.. anyway chubbiness not the way to gauge bb health la.. i believe yr bb health must be good from the bm!! N as long as bb is on his growth curve.. nothing to worry plus now already start solids.. all the more must keep bm as more hydration too!!

My MIL is opposite.. haha she keep telling me full bm is best!! But back then i supplement with fm and i din dare to pump and store too much as i worry i wont be able to slow down supply in time when i return to work.. sadly i regret that decision la.. n haha my MIL always observe my output volume and color quality! Still say visitors who happen to see in fridge says wahh very good.. so white .. faintz..

Anyway jiayou!!! Haha bm also good for saving money!! Haha

Cupidlovesme

Yes do continue yr bf journey!!! Fm fed babies tend to be chubby bcoz of the content.. and heard not the right kind of chubby.. anyway chubbiness not the way to gauge bb health la.. i believe yr bb health must be good from the bm!! N as long as bb is on his growth curve.. nothing to worry plus now already start solids.. all the more must keep bm as more hydration too!!

My MIL is opposite.. haha she keep telling me full bm is best!! But back then i supplement with fm and i din dare to pump and store too much as i worry i wont be able to slow down supply in time when i return to work.. sadly i regret that decision la.. n haha my MIL always observe my output volume and color quality! Still say visitors who happen to see in fridge says wahh very good.. so white .. faintz..

Anyway jiayou!!! Haha bm also good for saving money!! Haha
We all know the benefits of breastfeeding but sad to say that most of the older generation don't know. Some of them can be very stubborn, tried to explain but they still believe they r more knowledgeable due to the experience they have. Partly bcos during their time (70s-80s), fm is widely promoted and most of us r fm fed babies.
I've nvr offered FM to my boy before, when my mil sees my fridge is full of fbm stock up, she'll go 'when r u giving him fm? He's getting skinner!' I even took out his health booklet n showed her the growth chart, he's not chubby but he's at 50-75 percentile.. He's just too active n can't gain much fats.. n most importantly, me n my hubby r both skinny type, our baby won't be too fat no matter wat we feed him.. How to make her understand.. Sigh..

Haha cupid.. my MIL ends up giving me stress la.. coz she says best is 100% bm.. dont mix fm.. haha but she wasnt insistent.. she jus likes to comment.. and i open my heart la.. so ok.. coz she always ask how much.. haha

But coz she used to bf exclusive my hubby also..
Anyway i guess alot of elders like to gauge bb health by chubbiness.. chubby cute only la.. haha i think most impt is the nutrients and vitamins lor... if u exclusive bm.. jus need make sure u give bb iron fortified cereal or other solids..

U as mummy will know best.. and yr MIL also just out of good intention... jus be patient with her.. :)

I just stopped pumping a week ago.. coz left miserable 5ml a day? Haha so lame rite?

Cupidlovesme

Haha cupid.. my MIL ends up giving me stress la.. coz she says best is 100% bm.. dont mix fm.. haha but she wasnt insistent.. she jus likes to comment.. and i open my heart la.. so ok.. coz she always ask how much.. haha

But coz she used to bf exclusive my hubby also..
Anyway i guess alot of elders like to gauge bb health by chubbiness.. chubby cute only la.. haha i think most impt is the nutrients and vitamins lor... if u exclusive bm.. jus need make sure u give bb iron fortified cereal or other solids..

U as mummy will know best.. and yr MIL also just out of good intention... jus be patient with her.. :)

I just stopped pumping a week ago.. coz left miserable 5ml a day? Haha so lame rite?
How old is ur baby? Mummy's decision is nvr lame! We always try to giv our best to our babies, be it bm or fm =)

I heard about the 'iron deficiency' as well, always looking for great nutritious food for my boy.. always struggle n fight with him during meal time.. He attitude, sometimes eat sometimes don't.. lol

My girl is coming 13mths..
And yeah my girl.also sometimes eat sometimes dont eat haha wanna eat adult food from adult plate lor.. haha but she loves all her baby biscuits..

Anyway i have friends who bf for 2yrs.. my cousin bf for 2.5yrs.. haha admire!!! Coz well.. though i wanna bf.. but it does make alot of inconvenience esp when gg out.. engorgemt.. it would be easier if latch on n btl fed together.. if exclusive ebm.. then haha i always time my outing and wanna be back to pump asap... till the supply drops n drops..

ajcy

We're five months in (supplement with FM cos supply low) .. intend to try for one year but now that we found out lo has lip and tongue tie wwhich probably caused low supply, I might let him self wwean after his revision if my supply manages to increase!

Hubby and family all very supportive. Mom and mil makes food that is bf-boosters ..

ast0212

Mummy Pris:872748 said:
My girl is coming 13mths..
And yeah my girl.also sometimes eat sometimes dont eat haha wanna eat adult food from adult plate lor.. haha but she loves all her baby biscuits..

Anyway i have friends who bf for 2yrs.. my cousin bf for 2.5yrs.. haha admire!!! Coz well.. though i wanna bf.. but it does make alot of inconvenience esp when gg out.. engorgemt.. it would be easier if latch on n btl fed together.. if exclusive ebm.. then haha i always time my outing and wanna be back to pump asap... till the supply drops n drops..
I think being surrounded by breastfeeding mums help. I am inspired by my cousin who has been breastfeeding non-stop for nearly 7 years. She bf through 2 pregnancies, her youngest is 3 and she is currently pregnant with #4!

Haha yes it is a bit more difficult if you plan to go out without bub... have to do some planning around feed times. For me I hardly went out without baby so no need to pump because I am terrible at expressing - can't get much out!