How long does your baby recover from cough

leefionyap

My ger who is 5 and the half mth old is having flu and cough. She start to liu pi ti when she come back from infant care last friday. She did not have cough at that time.

Bring her to kidlink on sat and was given nose drop and a bottle of cough mixture for cough and phlegm.

Her pi ti come on and off, and start to cough a bit. so i give her cough mixture on monday.

But i did not see any improvement yet for her cough and now she sometimes cough in her sleep.

Normally how long does baby recover from cough?

The cough mixture is 60ml, one time take 1.5ml, one day take 3 itmes, which mean it for 2 week doseage.

Do i have to wait for another week to see improvement? When do i need to bring her to see doc again? After the med finish? or??

Ting

depends on your kid's immune.
i think u can wait for the medication to be finished first.
be sure to feed her on time, shld be ok.
sometimes pin cough can last for weeks.

my son also got cough from infant care. he also has a lot of pi ti and phlegm. he had cough 3 weeks ago and now it is back again. normally i will feed medication for 1 week. then wait out another few more days. if doesn't get better i will see doc. so that time when he had cough for 1st time, he took med for 1 week, and then i waited another 2 days and cough subsided. now it's back again. so i'm waiting for another week and another 2 days.... but my advise would be, when in doubt, always go and see a doc. esp when your baby is coughing very hard and excessively.

raeka

My boy caught a cough when he is 9 month plus.
He took the medicine for around 3 days there is slight improvement but because his phlegm is still there so i give him eat a bit of the
" Kow Choh wahn , which is Cordyceps pearls." bought from chinese medicine hall, and stop the western medicine.
The medicine powder is for cough and phlegm .
Baby above one month can have it.
he is ok after 3 days of the chinese powder.

pkshl

My ger who is 5 and the half month old is having flu and cough. She start to liu pi ti when she come back from infant care last friday. She did not have cough at that time.

Bring her to kidlink on sat and was given nose drop and a bottle of cough mixture for cough and phlegm.

Her pi ti come on and off, and start to cough a bit. so i give her cough mixture on monday.

But i did not see any improvement yet for her cough and now she sometimes cough in her sleep.

Normally how long does baby recover from cough?

The cough mixture is 60ml, one time take 1.5ml, one day take 3 itmes, which mean it for 2 week doseage.

Do i have to wait for another week to see improvement? When do i need to bring her to see doc again? After the med finish? or??
my boy juz recovered from his cough & flu 2weeks back. i brought him to kidslink @ sembawang. PD gave me cough medi & nose drop, perviously my boy had to be on neublizer 3x at the clinic cos theres quite alot of nose mucus.we also did our part by suckin out his mucus everyday. fortunately he had recovered.

yes, PD said cough will take abt 2wks to recover.

adv_sports

My 5mth baby girl had running nose on Sunday but was sleeping, drinking n sleeping as normal. Then she woke up @ midnite wailing -- her voice hoarse n had difficulty breathing (due to mucus stuck at her throat)! We rushed her to KKH A&E -- luckily there is no wheezing sound and they sucked out lotsa mucus via tube inserted thru her nose. So heartpain when we heard her cries behind the curtain :( Doc gave us nose drop n medicine to reduce phelgm.

Now, she started coughing -- with phelgmy sound :( I am abit hesitant to give her medicine... What should i look out for condition that worsen?

P.S. I was advised to let her sleep sideway -- so that the mucus/phelgm will not get stuck at the throat.

diymummy

Hi adv_sport, when my baby had cough and cold I let my baby sleep on his tummy. By then his neck already strong enough to turn. So if you wanna let your baby sleep on tummy, make sure she knows how to turn her head when sleeping to prevent SIDS.

If the medicine is prescribed by doc, it's ok to use. I also used medication to heal my baby's cough. If the medicine is something you bought on your own at the pharmacy then it is best not to give until you have sought professional advise from a doctor to prevent complications.

adv_sports

hi diymummy, thanks for ur advice... since my girl knows how to flip, she refused to sleep on tummy :( instead of thrice a day, we r giving her twice a day of the cough medicine. haiz, last nite, she vomit out her milk along with the medicine :( but she is getting better -- drink, sleep, play n poo @ infant care centre :)

diymummy

Great to know that your baby is getting better :)

My ds also at infant care. When they're at care centres their illness usually take longer to heal coz all the other kids there are prob trying to get better.

My ds coughed, got better, then it came back again. PD then prescribed another medication and he got better a week later. All in the all, he was coughing for a month. :(

adv_sports

After 1+ week, my baby is now having dry cough -- does it mean she will be recovering soon? Can I stop giving her the medicine to reduce phelgm?

diymummy

Hi adv_sport, if the medicine is specifically for phlegm, and if your baby has no more phlegm, you should be able stop it. Usually on the label, it will state you should be feeding your baby up to how many days. That time my medicine for my boy was feed for 5 days. And if it recurs again feed for another 5 days, so there's actually a break in between. That's what the label on my medication says. If you're in doubt, please do call back the PD office to confirm.

For my boy, that time he had phlegmy cough, became dry cough, then become phlegmy again. For the dry cough, for now, please continue to hydrate your boy. Hopefully the phlegmy cough won't come back again.

adv_sports

thanks, diymummy :) i hv asked the teachers @ infant care to hydrate my girl... me blur mummy, din read the label -- but hv reduced the dosage to once a day for past few days...