How long your breastfed baby go without poop?

Lingz12

Hi mummies.. My bb is on total breastmilk.. I latch first and last feed and bottle feed her in between.. She's now 4mths old.. She used to poop once a day then a mth ago became poo-ing alternate days and since the start of the yr she started poo-ing onli once a week! My PD did say breastfed babies can go up to 1 week without poo.. But it has been 8 days since she last pooped.. Should I be worried? How long do ur babies go without poo?

I tried gripe water and massage and cycling motion for her legs.. all dun work!

missolive

Hi lingz, your baby is exclusively breastfed? My baby was on total breastfeed, and there were some period of time he would poop several times but there are times he would go almost two weeks without poop. Breastmilk is the prefectly designed for baby and it is digested completely according to babies need, that is why sometimes there is no waste. And breastfed baby normally doesnt get constipation. If your baby is not fussy or in pain or struggling to poop and look normal and happy, i think there is no problem. But continue to monitor her, if there is no poop after 2 weeks can try to see the ped.

Hope it helps :)

Lingz12

thanks missolive.. yes, she's on total breastmilk.. my only consolation is she still feeds well, pees a lot and doesn't seem to be in pain.. though she kept passing super smelly gas.. since she's due for her jab soon, am thinking of bringing her to the PD this sat if she still dun poo.. jus tat by sat if she still dun poo, it would have been 12 days.. dunno if that's abnormally long to go without poo not..

Gwynne

Hi lingz, my girl went up to two weeks without poo. And like urs, she was also not fussy or feeling uncomfortable jus passing really smelly gas haha. Eventually when she pooed it was quite explosive haha! But dun worry its perfectly normal in my opinion :)

Lingz12

thanks Gwynne.. I feel better knowing ppl has gone thru this too.. So I shall give her till this sat to poo on her own.. if not, to the PD we go!

missolive

That sounds like no problem at all..my boy also would let super smelly gas too :)

Anyway 12 days is still ok so you can wait till then. As long as she is in normal happy self, you no need to worry. .

my boy's record was 12 days. ever since he turn 3 months, he only poo on average 10 days once. although i read it is normal for total breastfeed babies to act this way, but i just want to make sure that this is right, i went to PD. went to 2 different one and they assured me it is ok, as long as he is able to eat, play , no other complains, perfectly fine. One of them told me more than 10days is consider long, if i want, he can insert suppository for baby to poo. But , the other assured me, they will poo when it is time, and refuse to give any medication except for wind drops.

so i choose to believe, when it is time, they will poo. from then, i take note of the days my baby poo and realise the cycle pattern.

until now almost 8 months, his cycle improves and remains once every 6-7 days.

diza

Like what the rest says, it's normal if babies on fully BM do not poo daily. My boy has not poo for 11 days and he didn't show any sign that he's uncomfortable or constipated so I let it be. But when he farts, the smell stinks! Haha

and i recall i was "reprimanded" by the pd by using the term constipated. they told me constipated is hard stool etc , my case is not constipated. they highlight breastfed babies will not be constipated :)

but if any new mummies are worried , please see the doctor for assurance:)

Lingz12

haha.. in e end my nanny scare me into gg to the PD.. I called e clinic up and the nurses said since I'm worried enuff to call, y not jus bring her down? I did, anyway it's time for her jab too!

PD oso said tat's nt constipation.. he said babies as they grow older tends to control and keep their poo in until it's full before releasing all at one go.. he said I can wait till 2 weeks next time.. anyway he did pump her buttock and she pooped big time.. PD said as long as stools are not hard and not bloody, there's nothing to worry about..

I did ask if changing my diet will help my girl poo more since she's on breastmilk.. he said nope.. ha! felt less guilty hearing tat..

diza

My boy just had a massive poo today after 14 days! Hahaha.. The poo is still the same color and texture..