How many days after delivery does your milk flow comes???

LadySerene

Hi Mummies,

I just gave birth on 18 Jan and till date the milk still hasn't come yet... When I tried squeezing with hands there is only a drop coming out.. Wondering how many days shall the milk flow comes in ?? Pls advise.. Thanks !!!

Pinkliciouz

The milk usually comes 3 - 4 days after delivery... Once your baby is born, whether you have milk or not, just latch your baby on... The nurse in the hospital told me that we must do that to stimulate our breast for it to produce more milk... If baby don't latch, milk supply won't be so good because we never stimulate...

Edwinie

on the fifth day, my breasts felt engorged and it's hard and uncomfortable. that's when my milk came in. so i just keep latching my baby when he is hungry and i constantly massage my breasts to ease the discomfort.

pinkapple

My friend's came only in 2nd week.

but u'll have to keep latching and pumping. cannot think the milk will come if u do nothing.

preferrably u shouldn't give baby any FM so that baby will demand for BM and suckle more.

for the 1st few days, it's enough just to give baby colostrum but I suppose, like what my friend said, no point stressing yourself. if baby's hungry, just give FM 1st. but please remember to pump.

for me, I advocate don't give FM at all. but then I'm one of those who is blessed with abundant milk so I think i'm in no position to insist for those who has less supply. used to believe that all will have abundant milk if only they dont' give baby FM but give breast everytime baby wants milk.

meiteoh

Four days for me and this was because I was nursing Eva around the clock - I gave birth on Tuesday afternoon and she nurse every two to three hours. On Wednesday and Thursday, she was nursing one to two hours (the midwife INSISTED that I latch on more often because 1) jaundiced babies will sleep and are lethargic so will not wake up for a feed and 2) to help my true milk come in faster). On Sat night, my true milk came in.

What your boobs have right now is colostrum and this is important to help your baby build up his/her immune system because it contains all the necessary nutrients AND antibodies that your baby needs. If possible, latch on your baby and not pump. The best pump in the world is your baby.

If you give formula now, you're sabotaging yourself as your baby will feel full and not want to latch on.

Do note that studies have shown that Asian women can take up to TWO WEEKS for their true milk to come in. In the meantime, ignore what those stupid nurses say about your baby feeling hungry and that you need to stuff him/her with tons of milk. THAT IS NOT TRUE! A newborn's tummy is just the size of a marble or guli.

I too am not an advocate of FM and I don't believe in such a thing as "no milk" - you HAVE to encourage the body to produce milk as we are not vending machines. Golden rule of BFing is this - no supply, no demand.

LadySerene

Hi mummies,

My milk flow came in yesterday and I managed to pump out about 40ml each side. Wondering how much milk were you all able to express out initially??? Was thinking if my supply will increase anot... As my baby still not home yet with me so I'm unable to latch him on maybe only after 2 days later when he's discharged.

Another trouble I faced was my Ameda pump actually died when I was pumping halfway ytd !!!! Have sent for repair n was loan an avent manual pump. So tiring to use manual one >_<"

keefu

Hi mummies,

My milk flow came in yesterday and I managed to pump out about 40ml each side. Wondering how much milk were you all able to express out initially??? Was thinking if my supply will increase anot... As my baby still not home yet with me so I'm unable to latch him on maybe only after 2 days later when he's discharged.

Another trouble I faced was my Ameda pump actually died when I was pumping halfway ytd !!!! Have sent for repair n was loan an avent manual pump. So tiring to use manual one >_<"
40ml on each side is not bad considering now the current feed of your baby is around 60ml per feeding? Initially mine was like 50ml but as you latch more it will increase according to demand...

While your baby's not home yet don't give up and pump as much as you can, meanwhile save the breastmilk n drop by to visit your baby and pass your breastmilk to feed him...

Pinkliciouz

Hi mummies,

Mine is only only 30ml during the 1st week after my baby is born...
I gave my baby formula at night cos he was crying and crying from drinking nt enough milk and refuse to sleep... After constantly latching him during the 1st month, the milk flow was good...
But when go out, problem cos I get engorgement, either have to pump and throw away(no fridge to keep when we're outside), or have to find a place to latch baby(usually in the car)...

i juz delivered yesterday via c-sect. having difficulty trying to breastfeed cos my nipples a bit short n baby trying to latch on. now both nipples r so sore even though i hv applied nipple cream. feel like giving up but i know i can't. nurse tried nippleshield but baby doesnt like. is it too early to use breastpump now? i know i shld continue to latch baby on but my nipples r so painful now. Wat shld i do? help,..

Froggie12

i just delivered yesterday via c-sect. having difficulty trying to breastfeed cos my nipples a bit short n baby trying to latch on. now both nipples r so sore even though i have applied nipple cream. feel like giving up but i know i can't. nurse tried nippleshield but baby doesnt like. is it too early to use breastpump now? i know i shld continue to latch baby on but my nipples r so painful now. what shld i do? help,..
I also delivered my baby via c section. Breastfeeding is painful initially and a lot of mummy gave up became of this...What the lactation nurse taught me was to massage my nipples and breast so that I can unblock the milk ducts. She told me that if the nipples are blocked, those milk duct in the breast will be blocked and I'll get an engorgment.

I also put lots of nipple cream on the nipple cos it was quite sore and my milk only came on the 3rd day. The nurse insisted that I breastfeed exclusively to my baby. I even "quarrel" with her because I told her to give my baby fm for one feed and she refused to. To cut long story short, my baby is 4 months old and I'm proud that I'm giving her the best - breast milk.

My advice for you is don't force or pressurised yourself. Take things at your own pace, but don't give up, keep latching your baby to produce more milk. Pumping out also helps. If you desperately need to break away at some point of the time, don't feel bad by feeding your baby fm. However, don't make it a habit.

Hope this helps and take care...

Pinkliciouz

i just delivered yesterday via c-sect. having difficulty trying to breastfeed cos my nipples a bit short n baby trying to latch on. now both nipples r so sore even though i have applied nipple cream. feel like giving up but i know i can't. nurse tried nippleshield but baby doesnt like. is it too early to use breastpump now? i know i shld continue to latch baby on but my nipples r so painful now. what shld i do? help,..
You should start using the breast pump already. Pump after baby latch to clear any remaining milk so that your breast will produce more milk (Lactation consultants told me that).

During the 1st month when my baby latch, my nipples were so sore and painful, that my hair will stand when he suckle, and the pain is like needles going into the heart. But perseverence pays, and now he can latch very well. In the morning, as he wakes up for his morning feed, he can latch on even when his eyes are closed (too sleepy).

Don't give up, must JIAYOU! Remember that baby is also very inexperience, he is learning also. So as mothers, we must be patient and teach him how to latch properly. Continue to use the nipple cream after every latch, and clean off the cream before latching baby on. Though they say it is edible, but I feel that after putting on the cream, and leaving on our body for so long, bacteria is there so better not to feed baby the nipple cream.

I know a masseur who do massage for breasts, to help clear block ducts. But I need to inform you 1st, that clearing block ducts is a very painful process. I make a lot of noise everytime she comes, but after the massage, the milk flow is better. If you are interested, PM me and I will pass you her number. Not convenient to expose her number here.

JIAYOU! You can do it!

Mummy to Baby V

I was not blessed with abundant milk. Baby and I worked VERY hard to get the milk flowing at day 4. He nursed every 1-2 hours all day round through confinement. I used the pump to stimulate the breasts for 5-10 minutes after day feeds, with no milk collected.

Supply = demand in our case. I rarely had extra milk to store. When he was hospitalized for jaundice in day 9, I stayed with him in the hospital so that he can latch on anytime.

Baby latched on for every feed and we continued for 18 months.

The beginning is tough. Believe You can do it! :)

thanks for all your encouragement. I have succumb to FM. I tried pumping out my BM, only about 10ml or less in total for both breasts each time. My baby's weight is going down, more than 10% loss, so now my priority is to make sure her wt goes up.

I still latch her on alternate feeds (FM one feed, latch her one feed), I pump every 3 hrs. Hopefully my milk will come in soon.

Today she seems v hungry, keeps on wanting milk even though we feed her FM, in less than 2 hrs she is hungry again, donno why

you can also try taking fenugreek or papaya fish soup - might help to increase supply. I haven't tried fenugreek although being KS, I bought one bottle from GNC to stand by. It's not opened and you can PM me if you would like to take it. My mom would cook papaya fish soup for me and I'm not sure if it's the soup or just that the milk would have come naturally on its own anyway. In any case, the soup was tasty ;) haha! You just need to get half-ripe papaya and get some fish (and extra fish bones for the extra sweetness) and boil together. My mom buys Song fish - can get from NTUC. Think you can try other fish like threadfin as well. When I do also is pump and pump and pump all day and night. It's a demand and supply thing. Some babies just need to latch on for comfort. They may not necessarily be hungry even if you offer the bottle/breast and they happily suckle away. In any case, if your baby is hungry/needs to suckle for comfort, you can offer the breast to her. That'll help build up the demand-supply chain :) Babies also go through growth spurts at 3 weeks and 6 weeks. Maybe she's undergoing one :)

Thanks, ya, agree, now time is really not enough, my stitch from c-sect is painful, now only manage to catch some time to come here to get read some advice before I am off to pump again! I can see the milk flow is increasing, but v, v, little....

hi, i m back again. my milk flow is v slow but increasing. today manage to pump 40 ml in total. i plan to latch -FM for one feed, then pump - FM e next feed. what do u think?

hi, i m back again. my milk flow is very slow but increasing. today manage to pump 40 ml in total. i plan to latch -FM for one feed, then pump - FM e next feed. what do you think?
you should avoid supplementing with fm as far as possible. Keep with latching baby on and then pumping in between feeds if you are not too tired. feed on demand otherwise. think don't need to rush into pumping and stocking up if you think your supply is not excessive/v high. take your time to build up supply. get enough rest. your baby is still very little and don't need so much. I think some mommies only start to pump to stock up after 4-6 weeks. sometimes the milk supply can dip if the mommy is too stressed/tired out :)