How many days after delivery does your milk flow comes???

ling198

Hi everyone,

I also has problem with low milk supply. Because baby's weight dropped abt 16% in the 1st wk, our PD recommended 1oz of FM for every of her feed. Even then her weight gain was like only 20g per day and now at week 3, I think she's not back to her birth weight so PD still asked her to continue with FM.
I am persisting with bfing but even when I try to latch her whenever she wants too, she still cries in hunger after I've fed her. So I've to continue to give her FM, and now I've to give her 2oz of FM in order to satisfy her hunger.

Each time i pump, i can only get at most 20ml. I really wish my milk supply can increase so that I can reduce her need for more & more FM! Do let me know if anyone has the same problem as me before. I feel so helpless on what to do...

Edwinie

how often do you latch your child? do you latch every single time?

for me, i pumped to increase my milk supply. many mums said latching is the best way. but for me, i went on total pumping to increase. so i think it's up to individual. some started pumping and supply drop. so i'm not in any good position to recommend anything but i'm sharing with you my experience

for me, i pump every 4 hours. started with pumping for 15 mins, then 20, then 25, then 30, then 35. even if the milk stop flowing, i'll just continue until the time is up. my supply did increase by a lot.

if you are willing to do it, you can drink water as if you have sore throat. there was once i had sore throat, i drunk at least 1 cup of water every hour, even when i'm asleep, i'll have to wake up every 2 hours as it was really painful. the amount of milk i pumped out actually increases by 50ml at that time. so HUGE amount of water really helps.

i used to supplement with fm for the first 3 weeks. then my supply increased such that i do not need fm anymore.

hope this helps!

mirth183

Seeing that there are mums out there who supplements with FM makes me feel better as I do that too. It's day 4 and my milk supply is only starting to come in. only manage to get 10 ml in total and I've resorted to pumping every 3-4 hrs to stimulate for milk supply. Baby is always hungry after i latched him on for 1 hr and thus had to resort to FM to satisfy his appetite. That way, he gets to sleep for 4 hrs before he goes crying again.

At first, I tot I could do total breastfeeding, but with the slow milk supply and the nurse said that I had short nipple on one side, so he couldnt latch on properly. I would rather he be satisfied and get milk from pumping than to cry and get sick.

But it was actually nice feeling to see him suckle on ur breast and help in bonding... Nonetheless, I'll continue with pumping till I get my supply before latching him again.

ling198

Seeing that there are mums out there who supplements with FM makes me feel better as I do that too. It's day 4 and my milk supply is only starting to come in. only manage to get 10 ml in total and I've resorted to pumping every 3-4 hrs to stimulate for milk supply. Baby is always hungry after i latched him on for 1 hr and thus had to resort to FM to satisfy his appetite. That way, he gets to sleep for 4 hrs before he goes crying again.

At first, I tot I could do total breastfeeding, but with the slow milk supply and the nurse said that I had short nipple on one side, so he couldnt latch on properly. I would rather he be satisfied and get milk from pumping than to cry and get sick.

But it was actually nice feeling to see him suckle on ur breast and help in bonding... Nonetheless, I'll continue with pumping till I get my supply before latching him again.

Yes, jia you!
My gal is already 5-week old and I'm still supplementing with formula becuz I couldnt express >1oz each time. It started in the 1st 10 days after she was discharged from the hospital. I was insistent on total BFing but turned out she didn't get enough milk & her weight dropped >16%. It was a nightmare to us when we knew that. It was heartbreaking for me as a mom to know that she was born at a healthy weight of 3.1kg but dropped to 2.6kg becuz i was insistent not to supplement with FM. She could have become so dehydrated that her brain development is affected. Luckily, after PD recommended to supplement with FM immediately to get her weight up, her weight went back to her birth weight by her 1st mth celebration.

Like u, I can latch her on for 1hr & she's still hungry, even now. I'm not sure if it's cuz her latching or my milk supply. However i'm not giving up hope. I'm still pumping every 3-4hrs to stimulate my milk supply but it hasn't increase much even now & my gal is drinking more & more FM. However like what you said, I rather she be satisfied than cry & get sick. It's important to know that there's nothing wrong with supplementing with FM. People these days are so pro breastfeeding that they judge u immediately when they hear that u supplement with FM. But after what I went thru, i realise we are trying our best to do what we can as mothers and whether it's BM or FM, as long as our babies are growing healthily, it doesn't matter.

elaine01

I've inverted nipple & my mum was very patient with both of us. She always help me to latch my boy & make sure he latches on & suckles. Sore nipples is inevitable during the early weeks. As long as latch is correct, it'll go away in no time. I don't know.....I only know I wasted so much $$$ on the various types of nipple cream. None works for me. End up tried my own breast milk only to give me immediate relief!

natureautumn

It's comforting to know tt there are some like me who give fm when there is no choice ad dun feel it's a sin . My ds had jaundice third day and doc said to give fm to fatten him but I had been latching him 1st 2 days in hospital and the nurses told me he was fine , but what I did not realise was that he was oak becos he had supply to last at least 2 days so happily brought him home, he then started crying throughout the nite , nursed him as much as I could but could not understand whybhe kept crying, next day clinic said he had jaundice, maybe starvation jaundice. I had no fm at home then and no bottles etc cos I really wanted to bf.

Finally , no choice haws to go on 3 hourly feed to ensur he ate and was fine and I started pumping but I was not so consistent then, and did not dip nite feeds as his suckle was every weak and he is a buffet eater, can suckle for less than 2 mins then sleep

In an case i pump exclusively now ,at 2 months qnot much can vary between 60 to 100 each pump session 3 to 4. Hours apart, and with me being alone , tending to bottles diapers and sterilizing pumps etc, it's really tough but I know bm is still good so I choose to preserver tho at times it's really easy to just given

So my advice is to all of u who have abundant ss, do continue bf ing

Just wondering , do u think it's still possible for my ss to increase somw more so late in the stage?

My ds still likes the breast but I think he likes the comfort :)

Mummy to Baby V

It's comforting to know tt there are some like me who give fm when there is no choice ad dun feel it's a sin . My ds had jaundice third day and doc said to give fm to fatten him but I had been latching him 1st 2 days in hospital and the nurses told me he was fine , but what I did not realise was that he was oak becos he had supply to last at least 2 days so happily brought him home, he then started crying throughout the nite , nursed him as much as I could but could not understand whybhe kept crying, next day clinic said he had jaundice, maybe starvation jaundice. I had no fm at home then and no bottles etc cos I really wanted to bf.

Finally , no choice haws to go on 3 hourly feed to ensur he ate and was fine and I started pumping but I was not so consistent then, and did not dip nite feeds as his suckle was every weak and he is a buffet eater, can suckle for less than 2 mins then sleep

In an case i pump exclusively now ,at 2 months qnot much can vary between 60 to 100 each pump session 3 to 4. Hours apart, and with me being alone , tending to bottles diapers and sterilizing pumps etc, it's really tough but I know bm is still good so I choose to preserver tho at times it's really easy to just given

So my advice is to all of u who have abundant ss, do continue bf ing

Just wondering , do u think it's still possible for my ss to increase somw more so late in the stage?

My ds still likes the breast but I think he likes the comfort :)
Baby is likely to go through growth spurts at 3 and 6 months old. He'd probably be fussy and demand more feeds. The only sure way I know of raising milk supply during growth spurts is to keep latching on during that 3-7 days. After that, supply would be raised permanently and you can always resume to pumping if you prefer. :)

verieying

When do we have colostrum?

Hi mummies,

for previous preggies, my colostrum are usually in by 33 34 weeks and leaking by 35 36 weeks.

However this round, I don't see any even when I squeeze ! and I'm 34 weeks already.

hence am wondering when they will be in in case I give birth much much earlier, which is highly likely per gynae.
TIA!

elaine01

Re: When do we have colostrum?

Hi mummies,

for previous preggies, my colostrum are usually in by 33 34 weeks and leaking by 35 36 weeks.

However this round, I don't see any even when I squeeze ! and I'm 34 weeks already.

hence am wondering when they will be in in case I give birth much much earlier, which is highly likely per gynae.
TIA!
Situation varies from different pregnancies.

I've a cousin who had 3 pregnancies. All her breastfeeding experiences are very different from one child to another.

Me too "leaked" weeks before labour & DS is still sucking for a couple of minutes before he rolls off to sleep on his own(yes, I still see milk coming out of my nipple!) & he'll be attending P1 in 2012....when I breastfed beyond 6 mths, my nanny told me to "keep" some for subsequent children....we'll see how my experience for #2 differs from my current child....(if s/he ever comes) :)

verieying

Situation varies from different pregnancies.

I've a cousin who had 3 pregnancies. All her breastfeeding experiences are very different from one child to another.

Me too "leaked" weeks before labour & dear son is still sucking for a couple of minutes before he rolls off to sleep on his own(yes, I still see milk coming out of my nipple!) & he'll be attending P1 in 2012....when I breastfed beyond 6 mths, my nanny told me to "keep" some for subsequent children....we'll see how my experience for #2 differs from my current child....(if s/he ever comes) :)
thanks elaine01 mummy, hope colostrum will be in real soon! at least in when baby is born so I can feed him! :001_302:

elaine01

thanks elaine01 mummy, hope colostrum will be in real soon! at least in when baby is born so I can feed him! :001_302:
Don't worry. Colostrum should kick in once baby is delivered.....at least this is how our body should work.

elaine01

Usually baby has reserves in the body for 3 days so most babies nurse more after 3 days cos reserves are gone liao....

elaine01

i direct feed him so i also not sure how much he drink..

it's just a rough gauge....cos some babies who r poor suckers, the poor mummy will have to squeeze & spoon feed....

as long u let yr baby suckle u every few hrs even in the night, im sure u will have colostrum wan.
yeah, my boy was a half hourly bb in the nite!!

lyra

hi alisa, just wondering, since ur colostrum kicked in only on 3rd day, u fed ur baby FM on the first 2 days???
Agree with Alisa. Babies dun need so much milk actually and they have enough reserve in their body to not eat anything for first 3 days. After that most mother's colostrum with come in. I thought I dun have colostrum until the nurse squeezed my nipple n show me, there, u have! She squeeze very hard, man. Pain!

Dun force feed baby formula milk so early. Even though they gulp it all down, it doesn't mean they need that much, and it also dun mean that it's gd for them. It only serves to make the adults feel happy that baby is drinking a lot. Newborn's stomach is very small. They need very little to feel satisfied during first few days of life, so dun scare urself :)