How much is enough?

rache1

Hi all mommies,

I have a 6 week old baby gal and I wonder how much milk is considered enough for her. I bf her in the day and will supplement 1 FM at night.

I will usually latch her on but sometimes I will express and bottle feed her. I always feed her 70ml cos when i feed her FM, she will stop at 70ml. Usu when i bottle feed her (with ebm or fm) she can tahan for 2 hrs but when I latch her on, she will suckle for 5 max 10min but will be hungry 45 min to 1 hr later. Is this normal?

I try making her suckle more but she will shut her mouth tight tight. How to make her suckle longer so she can get the hindmilk?:err:

mimosa

i also wonder how much is enough?
my boy is coming 4 weeks..juz held full mth celebration for him
alot of him says he look skinny or small
im on total breastfeeding...is it because he is not drinking enough?

snowbear

Hi all mommies,

I have a 6 week old baby gal and I wonder how much milk is considered enough for her. I bf her in the day and will supplement 1 FM at night.

I will usually latch her on but sometimes I will express and bottle feed her. I always feed her 70ml cos when i feed her FM, she will stop at 70ml. Usu when i bottle feed her (with ebm or fm) she can tahan for 2 hours but when I latch her on, she will suckle for 5 max 10min but will be hungry 45 min to 1 hr later. Is this normal?

I try making her suckle more but she will shut her mouth tight tight. How to make her suckle longer so she can get the hindmilk?:err:
Maybe you can chk her latch. If bb doesn't latch correctly, she may not be able to get milk out efficiently. Try watching Jack Newman's videos for videos on latching and more information about breastfeeding.

Usually to chk if my dd's got to the hindmilk, I will press out a bit of milk from my nipple before and after nursing to chk the colour of the milk. If it's creamy white, it's hindmilk and if it's light colored, it's foremilk. Maybe you can do that next time and if your dd's not got to the hind milk yet, you may wanna try to put her back to the same breast.

snowbear

i also wonder how much is enough?
my boy is coming 4 weeks..just held full month celebration for him
alot of him says he look skinny or small
im on total breastfeeding...is it because he is not drinking enough?
Most people expect fat and chubby babies these days but really, that shouldn't be the main concern. In general, as long as baby is growing well, wetting enuff diapers and pooing, meeting milestones and most impt, happy and healthy, doctors will tell you that there's nothing to worry about! I also have a small-sized girl and I get all sorts of comments all the time. :( Must learn to ignore ignorant comments - I'm still learning! :001_302: The LC I've always been speaking to always tells me that breastmilk is the best so dun let others' comments affect your bfding career.

If your bb is happy and not fussing, you'll know that he's had enuff mummy's milk! :)

uddermummy

agree with snowbear. If your pd is okay with your darling's weight, don't bother about what other pple say. For the really mean and nasty ones, tell them that you'll listen to them when they get their pd license! :p

Triquetra

I have been trying to fully and directly breastfeed my dd but to no avail.
One of the reasons is that she seems to want to drink all the time. She is wetting her diaper but she will keep crying and nothing else except more milk will calm her down. Somtimes she will also unlatch and refuse to latch after 10 minutes or so.

Many times she will also fall asleep and unlatch. She either doesn't open her mouth or doesn't suckle no matter what I do. I will try to feed her but if nothing works then I will let her sleep but after 15 minutes or so she will start crying for milk again.

Is it better to feed on schedule or demand? I have tried to feed her on schedule but it is really hard, she keeps crying for milk.

right now your baby might be going through a growth spurt. growth spurts take place at 7-10 days, 1 month, 3 months and 6 months. roughly there. my son had growth spurts also and he will cry every hr for milk for abt a week during those spurts. i was breastfeeding direct. he was on schedule except on growth spurts where i fed on demand. try to feed your baby direct during spurts so that your body can get accustomed to the need for more milk supply then you can continue to feed directly from the breast.

Triquetra

She just had one during her 3rd week and lasted for about 1 week.
It's like if I feed her formula, she would sleep 'through' but if I breastfeed her directly she would just latch for 10 minutes then fall asleep but wake up less than an hour later for milk again.

woooo... that time my baby also like to fall asleep at the breast... but i will wake him up to drink when he falls asleep... :X i make sure he fed 10min per breast coz i very scared that he wakes up too quickly from hunger...

but at night bo bian la... he slept through the night (from 11pm to 5am) only at 8 weeks...

mimosa

woooo... that time my baby also like to fall asleep at the breast... but i will wake him up to drink when he falls asleep... :X i make sure he fed 10min per breast coz i very scared that he wakes up too quickly from hunger...

but at night bo bian ... he slept through the night (from 11pm to 5am) only at 8 weeks...
how much do u feed to make ur bb sleep thru the nite? do u feed him more?