How much is your average utility bill??

Nathaniel Mummy

Hi everyone,

I'm interested to know... how much do you pay averagely your monthly utility bill? Pls share your house size, no. of ppl staying and amount of bill.

Yesterday just got our utility bill and hubby got a shock that it jumped up from $150+ to $230+!!
Im staying in a 3 room hdb with my 18 month old toddler, hubby and me. Seldom at home because both of us work full time.

Care to share any water/ energy saving tip too? :001_302: Thanks!

Hi,

I have since shifted but at my previous house, a 5 room executive appartment, with me, my hubby, my 2plus year old daughter and my mother-in-law, close to $300, actually we are also hardly at home, we leave for work at 9am, by the time we go home its usually 9pm plus. No water feature or anything that is consantly powered and we don't even turn on the aircon. For us i think the bulk of it is from my mother-in-law, cos wen she is at hm, the standard TV/radio, Lights, fan must be on until 11pm when she sleeps.she turns on the lights even in the day.

I thougt it was quite high then for us since we were never at hm. But yurs is indeed on the high side.

You turn on the aircon? For me, i switch off the main switch for my kitchen appliances and only turn it on when i'm using. Except for the Tv cos that is a bit troublesome.

Nathaniel Mummy

Hi Kaykay2009,

Thanks for sharing :)

I've checked the utility rates are the same as my previous month, it's the consumption is pretty high especially for water. I do use aircon at night and temp is either 25 or 26 because our room is very small. I do laundry everyday because I dont like to pile up the dirty clothes. As for tv, dont watch that much because usually go home from work either take care of my son or I got class to attend. Hubby on the desktop every night but dont think that really can add up that much.

The hike is too startling for us to digest.............

Hi Nathaniel mummy,

I know what you mean. Haha! Now gotta pay more just to get rid of the rubbish! Started with my estate. I think there's really not much we can do if already we are hardly home.

The way I see it, I just gotta make my income higher! Lol!

supergal

Hi Nathaniel mummy,

Do you cook daily? For mine, it's a 4 room HDB flat, with just me, hubby and our 2 year old son. The monthly was around $120 - $150. Like you, I do laundry daily because I need to wash my son's childcare clothes. I will use the dryer every weekend when I wash the bedsheets. Most of the time, we were not at home. We usually leave the house at 6:50am and will come back around 7:30pm. TV wise, we will on at most for 1.5 hours each day. Aircon - it's usually about 3-4 hours max at around 25 degree celsius. I do light cooking for about 3 times in the weekday and heavier cooking on the weekends.

If you feel that you're really not using much electricity but yet the consumption is high, it could be due to the nature of your appliances? Like washing machine, a front load will be more water efficient vs a top load. For lights, do you have spot lights or those energy saving LED lights? Another small way to save abit here and there is try not to leave your switches on standby mode unless it is really necessary. For us, we even switch off the main aircon switch every day before we leave the house. It may seem very minute but in the long run, it could add up to a nominal sum.

Also, the use of water could also depend on one's personal lifestyle. Does your family take long showers? Do you use instant or storage heater? We use storage heater and we only on the switch for a max of 10mins and the hot water could last us for 3 showers within a 2 hr interval.

Maybe if possible, you can cut down abit on the use of aircon? I believed that should be the main source of your electrical consumption. Use fan more often unless really buay tahan...

Nathaniel Mummy

Hi supergal,

Thanks for sharing and the tips :)

I do light cooking almost 5-6 times. But this has been done for quite sometime since the past few months. Last month we did not cook much as my hubby was overseas for like 2-3 weeks. The more he was unhappy as he said to me who else at home except for me and my son??! -_-

Well I'm still angry at him for blaming me but I do realise now that my hubby's existense actually help in curbing me from unconsciously wasting a lot of energy (but ofcourse I never say this to him :ttongue:.... maybe not YET. HEHE)

Now after I analyse the situation, I found out its not really the aircon that I use a lot as I prefer fan and when hubby was not around that time I seldom on the aircon at night. So when I think back, I realize 2 things which I often either take for granted or unconsciously or rather SEMI-UNCONSCIOUSLY did:

1- Didn't turn off the modem switch all through the night or when I went out during the weekends which can be up to 12 hours I guess?? U'know I thought it wouldn't really cost that much but obviously I thought wrong! When my husband is around, he will always off the switch before going to sleep or before we went out. So when he's not around that time, I...... how should I put it.... being ignorant?? serves me right!

2- I do switch on the small light in the hall when he was not around. Reason being: I'm just plain scared! I mean Im the only adult at home at that time and sometimes I do get scared. Once again, I really thought that wouldnt consume that much as it is a small light. And to think back that small light is definitely not the energy saving kind..... :err:

I guess moral of the story is small things do add up. Now, I've been practicing myself to be very conscious on these little things. I've been reading some article also on how to save energy and been diligently following e2singapore energy saving tip! Sound so nerdy right? I know. Hopefully all these measures help.

My bill went up from 140++ to 250 last month!!!!!!!
and only me, my hubby and 2 dogs in the house!!!
RIDICULOUS!!!
Weather was hotter.. so we increase the frequency of switching on the air con at night
But maybe 2-3 times a week?
$250 is a tad bit too much!!!

MsKoh1973

my is family of 8, 5 adults 3 kids. we staying in 5 rm point block, usually I on the air con at nite. I am a stay at home mum, so most of the time either online or watch tv. our PUB bill (water plus elect) is about $200 ~ $250 pm.

forgets to mention, my hse got two TV, father like to on his TV and fan so long as he at home.

imadad

this doesn't seem like a very active thread, but I think it's very useful information especially for the new parents.

Just moved in to my new flat in October. Since then, my bills have been very erratic.

October - $60~
November - $250 (i'm guessing that they undercharged me for October, hence the big jump in November
December - $145

Just some background info on my family and flat. We live in a 3rm HDB. My wife and I, a 3 month old baby boy and domestic helper. Master bedroom and baby room's aircon is turned on every night.

I thought $145 was rather expensive, I was expecting maybe $80. but glad to know it's about the same as what others are paying... right?

Shez

Hi imadad, PUB usually takes meter readings on alternate months. So one month is always an estimate (based on past consumption) and the other is based on accurate takings.

LyDeeAna

My bills are arnd $40-$$60 a mth... i cook twice a day... laundry every week as only Me n husband at home...

MrZQ

My bills are arnd $40-$$60 a mth... i cook twice a day... laundry every week as only Me n husband at home...
Thats very cheap. I seldom heard of any of my friends their bill is so low. Even for me, my average bill is about $100.

Rye

I believe appliances n other electronics play a part. In my confinement month, our bill was 300+! We had 4-5 adults in the house 1 toddler n of cos my baby. After confinement we had 2-3 adults n baby, mostly 2 adults. 5 rm flat. Aircon on where baby sleeps every night. Then it drop to 150. Realize again its my tv which was on everyday for probably 5-6 hrs n also left on standby mode. After confinement the tv was on only for 2 hrs on Avg n never left on standby mode. So really hv to figure out which of your electronics or home appliance that consume the most.

tammi6523

mine is £90 for both on dual fuel

it was the cheapest i could get.

i switch EVERYTHING off at the wall when it's not getting used. before this i was £106 a month

Ninasky

i know one family that uses electricity like its is free. Aircon is turned ON but the doors and windows to the outside wide open !

Meowmummy

staying a 4room Bto Flat for1.5years, Bills cost me average $75 per mth (Gas, water, Electricty). 2 persons, me and my hubby, both working full time. we use power saving fridge, lightings aircon and LED TV. We turn on Air con every night 2-3hrs.

imadad

omg, that's amazing. I'm using power saving fridge and gas instant heater (which City Gas says is more economic). We only watch tv about 2 hours a day, but is a power saving tv too. Aircon every night for about 8 hours, both master bedroom and son's room.

i'm averaging about $160 a month.