How much milk does your near 4 months old baby drinks?

AngieTan

Hi all mummies,

I am wondering how much milk does your babies drink around this age? My boy is currently about 3 and a half months old and drinking 150 ml... Well, actually 170 ml to be exact after mixing 5 scoops of milk powder into 150 ml of water... Is it too little?

My mother in law keep telling me that I am not giving my boy enough milk at his age cos he doesn't seem to be growing, in her opinion that is, and it is kinda making me irritated but at the same time, worried that she might be right... But doctor took measurements of my boy when he was brought for vaccination and according to the graphs in the health booklet given by the hospital where I gave birth, his growth is on the average side so I am not too concerned...

Can share with me so that I can put my mind at ease and also tell my mother in law?

She keep comparing with her other grandchildren who, according to her, were bigger when they were babies... I told her every baby's growth rate is different what, how can be the same? She keep asking me to FORCE my boy to drink more and I told her that I did try but he will "merlion" whenever I try to feed him more than what he can take at the moment but she still keep nagging about the same issue over and over again... Will I be so stingy about the milk powder or wanna starve my boy? No right? Sigh... :bskeptical: And most of the time, we also end up wasting a lot of milk cos my boy is pretty inconsistent with his feedings at times... :07:

Actually how I monitor is that if after he finishes his usual intake but cries for more, that's a cue that he needs more milk from now on... Is that correct?

Last edited:

happybaby

Hi all mummies,

I am wondering how much milk does your babies drink around this age? My boy is currently about 3 and a half months old and drinking 150 ml... Well, actually 170 ml to be exact after mixing 5 scoops of milk powder into 150 ml of water... Is it too little?

My mother in law keep telling me that I am not giving my boy enough milk at his age cos he doesn't seem to be growing, in her opinion that is, and it is kinda making me irritated but at the same time, worried that she might be right... But doctor took measurements of my boy when he was brought for vaccination and according to the graphs in the health booklet given by the hospital where I gave birth, his growth is on the average side so I am not too concerned...

Can share with me so that I can put my mind at ease and also tell my mother in law?

She keep comparing with her other grandchildren who, according to her, were bigger when they were babies... I told her every baby's growth rate is different what, how can be the same? She keep asking me to FORCE my boy to drink more and I told her that I did try but he will "merlion" whenever I try to feed him more than what he can take at the moment but she still keep nagging about the same issue over and over again... Will I be so stingy about the milk powder or wanna starve my boy? No right? Sigh... :bskeptical: And most of the time, we also end up wasting a lot of milk cos my boy is pretty inconsistent with his feedings at times... :07:

Actually how I monitor is that if after he finishes his usual intake but cries for more, that's a cue that he needs more milk from now on... Is that correct?
Hi Angie
I started bottle feed my girl with EDM during the day this week. Her feed is between 80 ml to 110ml only. i guess each baby intake is different...as long they are growing and puting on weight, it should be ok...

apollo

150ml for 3.5mth old sounds alright to me. some same age babies cant even finish 150ml. IMO, as long as the baby is growing well, it does not really matters hw much he is drinking unless is too lil, but urs definitely is okay =) and no point forcing him to drink more if he cant, he might puke everything out which is very unhealthy. =)

juliezhu

150ml every 3 to 4 hours is about right for mine baby during the 4th month.

Now he is coming to the 6th month and he is taking in 180ml every 4 to 5 hours.

Different babies grow at different rates. Our baby happens to grow much faster and he is already 11Kg at 5 months.

Last edited:

AngieTan

Thanks all mummies for the reply... I wish I can make my MIL understand... Sigh... She keep saying I am feeding too little... But it really isn't about how much I wanna feed my son but rather how much he can take in right? Sianz already... Everytime same topic over and over again... =/

But today my son only take in 100 to 120ml... A sudden drop and feeding intervals also longer... He just wants to sleep more than usual... Should I be concerned?

Fiona73

Thanks all mummies for the reply... I wish I can make my MIL understand... Sigh... She keep saying I am feeding too little... But it really isn't about how much I wanna feed my son but rather how much he can take in right? Sianz already... Everytime same topic over and over again... =/

But today my son only take in 100 to 120ml... A sudden drop and feeding intervals also longer... He just wants to sleep more than usual... Should I be concerned?
Are you staying with your inlaw? If no, then you can feed your baby his normal amt at home, but when you visit her, you can increase the milk volume n get you inlaw to feed your baby. So that she can understand your point better. Juz tell her you been trying hard to increase n the moment she saw her own eye on how the baby refuse the additional amount, she won't keep nagging on the issue. All grandparent will heart pain when they see their precious one suffer.

As for the sudden dip in the intake,IMO as long baby dun fuss, sleep well, n happy, can already. Take it easy mummy, dun fight with your inlaw over baby. Baby will grow, but damage relationship with inlaw is tough for both you n your hubby. Cheers.

AngieTan

Are you staying with your inlaw? If no, then you can feed your baby his normal amt at home, but when you visit her, you can increase the milk volume n get you inlaw to feed your baby. So that she can understand your point better. Juz tell her you been trying hard to increase n the moment she saw her own eye on how the baby refuse the additional amount, she won't keep nagging on the issue. All grandparent will heart pain when they see their precious one suffer.

As for the sudden dip in the intake,IMO as long baby dun fuss, sleep well, n happy, can already. Take it easy mummy, dun fight with your inlaw over baby. Baby will grow, but damage relationship with inlaw is tough for both you n your hubby. Cheers.
Yeah I know... I also think having a baby is a joyous thing but how come it brings along so many conflicts too? I am not mad with my MIL, I know she is concerned but sometimes she just makes me feel I am not doing a good job as a mum to my son and that is so demoralising... Sigh... She did feed him before and should know how hard it is to "force" my son to drink more but she still keeps saying it... =(

My son is otherwise still playing, smiling but just not really interested in milk that much anymore... Wonder whether it is just a passing phase? Like a normal thing which other infants go through too?

Fiona73

Yeah I know... I also think having a baby is a joyous thing but how come it brings along so many conflicts too? I am not mad with my MIL, I know she is concerned but sometimes she just makes me feel I am not doing a good job as a mum to my son and that is so demoralising... Sigh... She did feed him before and should know how hard it is to "force" my son to drink more but she still keeps saying it... =(

My son is otherwise still playing, smiling but just not really interested in milk that much anymore... Wonder whether it is just a passing phase? Like a normal thing which other infants go through too?
My inlaw used to baby sit my no. 1 when she 3mo, since then she refuse milk, and will only take when sleep. Bt my inlaw, keep feeding her water n even let her drink charm water n my gal weight loss from 6kgs to 4.5kgs. We had a huge fight then. End up I sent my gal to my mum n of cos thing got worse over my mil side. My gal outgrow the problem when she turn 9mths, but end up I used almost 4 yrs to mend the relationship with my inlaw. So I learnt, best is act blur n agreed to wat they said, n whether to follow or not that is another issue.

As for yr bb, dun worry, if you think he drinking to little, you can already start him on solid when he turn 4mth old. Every child is unique. And there r lot of bb just dun drink up to the amount we think they shld be. Always remember tummy is theirs, they know themselves better than we do. Be a happy mummy.

apollo

My inlaw used to baby sit my no. 1 when she 3mo, since then she refuse milk, and will only take when sleep. Bt my inlaw, keep feeding her water n even let her drink charm water n my gal weight loss from 6kgs to 4.5kgs. We had a huge fight then. End up I sent my gal to my mum n of cos thing got worse over my mil side. My gal outgrow the problem when she turn 9mths, but end up I used almost 4 yrs to mend the relationship with my inlaw. So I learnt, best is act blur n agreed to wat they said, n whether to follow or not that is another issue.

As for yr bb, dun worry, if you think he drinking to little, you can already start him on solid when he turn 4mth old. Every child is unique. And there r lot of bb just dun drink up to the amount we think they shld be. Always remember tummy is theirs, they know themselves better than we do. Be a happy mummy.
WOW ur case seems more 'serious', ur girl even lose weight.. if i were u, i think i will do the same thing too.

Kxmum

My mil also commented that my gal's growth slowed down..I was so irritated...in fact my gal is quite long, just that she is not the chubby kind..so every time she said tat i will just reply DOCTOR said she is ok..everything add "doctor say" in front..haha..

AngieTan

Wah lost weight ah? You must be damn heartpain... *pat pat*

During the first 2 to 3 months, my son keep fussing over everything and cannot sleep properly, as in sleep awhile wake up cos of bad startle reflex and keep crying or refuses to sleep on his own, want people to carry him to fall asleep... Just seemed very unsettled and my MIL suspected maybe something "dirty" disturb him so ask my hubby to go ask 神 and let my son drink the charm water... Luckily my hubby told her NO WAY is he going to let him drink that... so dirty and unhygienic... Actually I think my son is just fussy and having colic as well that's why... But luckily never do all those things...

Anyway, glad that you have mended things with your in law already... =D

AngieTan

My mil also commented that my gal's growth slowed down..I was so irritated...in fact my gal is quite long, just that she is not the chubby kind..so every time she said tat i will just reply DOCTOR said she is ok..everything add "doctor say" in front..haha..
Same lor... Actually my boy also quite long... I mean, he can fit into clothes meant for 6 months old baby already lengthwise but not widthwise though cos he is not chubby kind also... Maybe to them baby must be chubby chubby then considered growing bah... She is making me kinda worried also lah cos I see my friends, their babies all chubby de and they are on BM whereas mine is on FM wor... =/

Ya, I also say doctor say my boy's growth is average although I would have wished for more than average growth to be honest... Let's hope I do see that at the next appointment for vaccination...

star_star

my boy is turning 3mnths in afew days time n he is drinking 180ml 4hrs interval. he is not veri chubby but long,almost 70cm alreadi. wen he went for his 1st jab at 1mnth plus,doc say he was the size of a 3mnth old liao. now i tink he abt size of 6mnths. at 1st i tot he was drinking too much,mite cuz him to b overweight. but i found out tat it was alrite as he is growing fast too n i feed him oni on demand n nv force him to drink more. i get the sign tat he wants more wen he is still sucking wen the milk alreadi finish so i increase 10ml everytime. as volume increase,time interval also increase. now he also lost slight interest in milk as he will start playing n 'talking' during the last 30ml of milk n always got wastage. so i guess soon he mite be able to take semi solid,oni waiting for him to grow out of his tongue thrusting reflex n able to hold up his head properly. so dn wori as long as ur bb is growing n hapi :)

aahdorr

actually look chubby is cute la but my 6week girl is not chubby but she 5kg .. my hubby keep complaint she not chubby but when he bring her to see doc he shocked that she from birth is 3.4kg now onli 6 weeks 5kg..
i oso have my inlaw problem they alway like to ask why she crying n when she sleeping keep on watching n laugh n even kiss until she wake up den u will feel #!#@# u make her so hard to sleep end up she cry again .. n even more smell n kiss .. hai so angry whenever i do they alway ask why .. n keep on let her blow fan until she sneeze

Last edited:

AngieTan

actually look chubby is cute la but my 6week girl is not chubby but she 5kg .. my hubby keep complaint she not chubby but when he bring her to see doc he shocked that she from birth is 3.4kg now onli 6 weeks 5kg..
i oso have my inlaw problem they alway like to ask why she crying n when she sleeping keep on watching n laugh n even kiss until she wake up den u will feel #!#@# u make her so hard to sleep end up she cry again .. n even more smell n kiss .. hai so angry whenever i do they alway ask why .. n keep on let her blow fan until she sneeze
Haha... My MIL and even my mum also same lor... When bring my boy over to see them he sleeping right, they will touch him all these, ask him wake up sleep later... Then I am like why you all cannot let him sleep properly first leh? Not happy also cannot say lor... I know they anxious to play with their grandson but they don't know how hard it probably was coaxing him to sleep before this mah... Don't know what to say or do lor... =/

Plus hor, baby not enough sleep also will cranky... How will play with them leh? Don't understand... *shake head*

Last edited:

endlssorrow

Alpha Male
i agree what u have mentioned... now CNY coming... thinking of going to here n there to visit.. i ish sian 1/2 liao.. why leh? coz everyone will take turn to carry my little baby girl about 3 months... when asleep liao also want to carry.. thus disturb her sleep lor... in the end at night she is crying terrible man... and thus coaxing her takes longer time... haiz...

endlssorrow

Alpha Male
180ml for 4hrs interval is good siaz.. as parents (mum) can rest more... my little girl only drinks about 105ml -.-!! last about 3hrs nia... *faint***

star_star

my boy nxt week turning 4mnths liao... now his milk is 250ml bottle full to the brim liao... i tink have to start giving him glutinous powder mix with his milk den slowly start semi solid or else have to use 2 bottles to feed him... haha... hope his little belly can accept the new change cuz glutinous powder can make tem feel full as normal milk is no longer enuf liao... stage1 milk powder is damn ex lah! he now 1 mnth drink abt 5 to 6 tins leh... hope the nxt stage can save me abit of money... i single mummy,buy milk until face green liao haha...

Kxmum

i agree what u have mentioned... now CNY coming... thinking of going to here n there to visit.. i ish sian 1/2 liao.. why leh? coz everyone will take turn to carry my little baby girl about 3 months... when asleep liao also want to carry.. thus disturb her sleep lor... in the end at night she is crying terrible man... and thus coaxing her takes longer time... haiz...
I think this problem happens to everyone, babies seemed to have PR duties every since they are borned..when i had my full month party for my gal, everyone wanted to take turn carry her..even when she's sleeping..then after everybody left..she became so cranky, cry and cry non stop. I think the most impt thing is for the parents to be mentally prepared and not stressed out when bb cries.

After a few rounds of PR duties my gal seemed to be able to adjust her sleeping timing by herself..she's 6 mths old now and if i bring her to my mum's place, she can totally skip 1 nap session in the afternoon and compensate for the missing nap by sleeping very early at night. On those days, we will usually give her her milk immediately when she starts to whine even if the timing is not up yet. After her milk she will immediately fall asleep and sleep all the way until next morning. So dont feel so sian, take it as part and parcel of growing up, the faster your bb becomes acustom to different environment, the easier it will be for you to bring her out gai gai in the future ..:)

AngieTan

my boy nxt week turning 4mnths liao... now his milk is 250ml bottle full to the brim liao... i tink have to start giving him glutinous powder mix with his milk den slowly start semi solid or else have to use 2 bottles to feed him... haha... hope his little belly can accept the new change cuz glutinous powder can make tem feel full as normal milk is no longer enuf liao... stage1 milk powder is damn ex lah! he now 1 mnth drink abt 5 to 6 tins leh... hope the nxt stage can save me abit of money... i single mummy,buy milk until face green liao haha...
Your boy drinks 250ml now at 4 months old???? What is his weight now?