How much TV is too much?

I noticed that many children are spending more and more hours watching TV and less time outside, where they can be active and be playing sport or having a hobby (like reading). Even more so during school holidays when children are at home where much more hours are spent watching the boob tube.

In your house, do you limit the length of time that your children can watch the television?

What do you think is a reasonable length of time?

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Trebuchet MS, sans-serif]Please s[/FONT]hare your thoughts here with others.

I think one or two hours watching TV is enough for the kids as more that that when become habitual can harm their eyes and also the things they showing on TV these days can harm there mental development also they watch the things they shouldn't be watching. You should always keep your eyes what they are watching.

bakergirl

I do limit my nephew's tv hours, but I do it indirectly, like instead of directly telling him to stop, I encourage him to help me in baking, crafting things, sort of distracting them from the tv :)

chenSee

Give them schedules when they're allowed to watch TV.. :) your schedule should match to their favorite TVshow so that they will not look for more programs on TV.. :D

Last edited:

Parent007

I think 2 hours the most. I read somewhere that kids who watches too much TV tend to perform poorly academically. On the other hand, kids who play computer games perform better academically...LOL..Get them to do something fun and educational...anything which stimulates ther brains...

Ninasky

When i lived with MIL long ago, her TV was forever on all the time. Now i realised it is a very bad habit. These days we turn it on only after dinner for a short while to watch together as a family. Other than that the TV stays off.

Qookie

Get your husband to tell his parents to restrict TV time! Haha. It's his parents after all...

The TV in my house is never turned on. And i'm not allowing my baby to watch TV till after 2 years old. That's what a psychiatrist friend did to her kid too.

Apparently there are articles i read that say TV is bad for baby development. Babies learn how to talk from real adults conversation, not TV. By watching TV from a young age, they will not understand anything, thus wasting time in front of the box. This time could be well used if you speak/play/sing to your baby instead.

Hi Everyone,

I have experienced the effects of television. Here's gonna be a long story summarized.

When I was expecting my 2nd child, I kept allowing my 2 year old son watch DVDs such as Barney, and whenever he sees our iphone, he will scream and whine for it. He was so hooked to it that he would throw a BIG TANTRUM when we attempt to turn it off. It was a huge nightmare. In addition, during that period of time, his temper was extremely HOT & QUICK. Teachers in school (he was in playgroup) noted his behaviour and was so concern that there was a meet us session on a Saturday specially for him. The experienced teachers immediately told us to reduce the frequency of TV and NO ipad or iphone!

Reason: Toddlers are still exploring their environment and they should be given opportunities to explore out of the TV box. By allowing them to frequent TV, they will soon learn that everything should be QUICK and fast because TV has lots of animation that involves them and ipad & iphone gives them the 'answer' once they touch it. The toddlers will soon associate this with real life. Hence, the quick temper.

Suggestion is, for all TV sessions, an adult should be accompanying the kid to watch and explain to him as he watches.

Well, it did work for my son, he no longer whines for TV, but asks politely for it, and before we turn it on, we have to make an agreement that we have to turn it off when mummy says go and sleep. As for the iphone addict, we coincidently changed to Samsung and miraculously he stopped asking for the phone!

Hope this helps mummies out there!