how protective are you against other kids?

tinkerball

went downstairs yesterday with DS. upon returning and walking out of the lift lobby saw lots of kids with their mini tricycles playing along the corridor. imagine having 3 or 4 tricycles along the narrow path. definitely cramped. as those kids were crowding along my path i had to slow down and 1 boy, around 3 or 4 years of age cycled towards my son and it looks like he had no intention of avoiding. luckily my son managed to avoid. as i walked towards my door to open the gate again those kids were crowding near my doorway again. i saw that same kid cycling towards my son and instinctively i grappled with the keys to open the door to avoid that boy again but being too 'kancheong' i slowed myself down instead and saw that boy knocking onto my son. i got angry and scolded the boy by asking ' why are u knocking on others on purpose?' all the kids stopped on their tracks. and i entered my home all the while fuming and slammed my door on them. but later i almost regret over my actions and thought i might have overreacted. he's just a kid after all but i was wondering why go around knocking on others? though my son was not hurt but motherly instincts definitely took over me strongly to react the way i did. i rarely mixed with the neighbours but just smile if happen to bump into them. im fine with those kids. but now...:err: what would you mothers do if u were me?

Queenbabe

went downstairs yesterday with dear son. upon returning and walking out of the lift lobby saw lots of kids with their mini tricycles playing along the corridor. imagine having 3 or 4 tricycles along the narrow path. definitely cramped. as those kids were crowding along my path i had to slow down and 1 boy, around 3 or 4 years of age cycled towards my son and it looks like he had no intention of avoiding. luckily my son managed to avoid. as i walked towards my door to open the gate again those kids were crowding near my doorway again. i saw that same kid cycling towards my son and instinctively i grappled with the keys to open the door to avoid that boy again but being too 'kancheong' i slowed myself down instead and saw that boy knocking onto my son. i got angry and scolded the boy by asking ' why are you knocking on others on purpose?' all the kids stopped on their tracks. and i entered my home all the while fuming and slammed my door on them. but later i almost regret over my actions and thought i might have overreacted. he's just a kid after all but i was wondering why go around knocking on others? though my son was not hurt but motherly instincts definitely took over me strongly to react the way i did. i rarely mixed with the neighbours but just smile if happen to bump into them. im fine with those kids. but now...:err: what would you mothers do if you were me?
If it was my son knock by other kids i definitely will react the same way as u .... they should go downstair & cycle instead of blocking the corridor pathway ... where are their parents .... now 3 or 4 yrs old must really educate them properly ....

i think if the kid did it on purpose, i will definitely scold. if it was an accident, i will just ask the boy to say sorry to my boy. feel that kids need to teach and discipline. even if it means the teaching must come from an outsider. it's better for them to learn now than to grow up wayward in future where they can cause greater harm to others on purpose in future. maybe i'm being kiasu... but i'd rather err on the side of caution. i think that kid was just curious to know what would happen if he ran his bike into someone else. hopefully your shouting could have made him release that sometimes not all sorts of curiosity should be found out by trying as it could cause harm to others. if i knew which neighbour the kid belonged to, i'd go tell his parents.

autumn82

i think if the kid did it on purpose, i will definitely scold. if it was an accident, i will just ask the boy to say sorry to my boy. feel that kids need to teach and discipline. even if it means the teaching must come from an outsider. it's better for them to learn now than to grow up wayward in future where they can cause greater harm to others on purpose in future. maybe i'm being kiasu... but i'd rather err on the side of caution. i think that kid was just curious to know what would happen if he ran his bike into someone else. hopefully your shouting could have made him release that sometimes not all sorts of curiosity should be found out by trying as it could cause harm to others. if i knew which neighbour the kid belonged to, i'd go tell his parents.
I would also do the same as LynetteLoh. Agree. :red:

apollo

if i were u,i will scold back too cos he nearly knock down my son! though it'nearly' but what if ur son was too shocked to react??

tinkerball

If it was my son knock by other kids i definitely will react the same way as you .... they should go downstair & cycle instead of blocking the corridor pathway ... where are their parents .... now 3 or 4 yrs old must really educate them properly ....
fyi, i saw the boy's mum standing at the gate on the other end watching us but she was too far away to hear me scolding her son. but the worst part she didnt do anything or warn her son to be careful against knocking others. if the mummy had no initiative to guide her son it'll be tough on outsiders to 'educate' cos the mum may not like it if they were to to see us open our mouth.

autumn82

fyi, i saw the boy's mum standing at the gate on the other end watching us but she was too far away to hear me scolding her son. but the worst part she didnt do anything or warn her son to be careful against knocking others. if the mummy had no initiative to guide her son it'll be tough on outsiders to 'educate' cos the mum may not like it if they were to to see us open our mouth.
Then, there's where u have to go over to the mum and tell her to teach her child. Yes, she might not like it but it's her responsibility to teach her child rite. :x She shld be the one who is to feel embarressed not us! :001_302:

apollo

u're right... i got a neighbour whose hse got lotsa ppl staying. during weekends lotsa kids come.

they stay at the other end but the kids always come to my hse here to play and throw rubbish. there was once i scolded them and they said not they throw want, pls la, they were the only kids ard, and so many sweet wrappers on the floor and i threaten to call police cos they litter! their uncle came and scolded me! he said i dont have evidence cannot say they litter but aft some arguments, he said they are still kids, dont understand anything why i so fierce to them, they only throw rubbish, no big deal.. Oh PLEASE! They are at least pri 3!!! pri 3 still dont know litter is not allow in SG?

Not only that, they offen come and press my door bell, i was quick, open the door and saw them running off... they still got the nerve to lie! make up story saying that it's a guy who press and ran away... i scared them by saying "oh it's okay, i got a hidden camera, tml i bring it down to the police station since this happen so many times" HAHAHAHA!

hahaha! i like the hidden camera.

yeah i guess it's tough on outsiders when the kids' own parents are unwilling to do the teaching. coz when we scold, then they run off to complain to their parents and their parents will side them. but i'd still try my luck to tell the parents then i'd also know what that neighbour is like.

on hindsight, it could still be a good teaching point for your kid. telling them it's not good to behave that way and if you felt that your shouting was over-reacting, just tell your kid why you reacted that way and teach him not to shout at others if you're worried that he might start to shout at people.

just my 2-cents worth. i'm not some parenting guru...

hakisumi

this reminded me of something my hubby 's nephew...
got 1 new year.. dunno what the kid did.. which was wrong.. den the small kid just like blahhhhhh the saliva and of cos spot on my hubby...he told the kid like that is wrong.. cant blahhhhh saliva at ppl, den he starting crying!!!!! back to the parents.. den the cousin damn damn angry with my hubby....something like you got no rights to 'scold' my kid.. den my hubby cant do anything but to think if u cant educate ur own kid, others ppl will educate for u.. like eg: if we turn the roles ard, if if if our kid spit on that cousin, he sure make a big big big fuss 1 lor...like tell my in laws la...worst even beat our kid,etc....and wont let our kid off that kind...but if he dare to beat my kid, i sure beat him first den i beat my kid myself... hahahahahaa

mag_huiling

If it was my son knock by other kids i definitely will react the same way as you .... they should go downstair & cycle instead of blocking the corridor pathway ... where are their parents .... now 3 or 4 yrs old must really educate them properly ....
agree! 3-4 yrs old never educate properly will be like kids whom i encountered before....

i was waiting for the lift at 1st storey lobby with my then 1+mth old girl in my arms. Then came this group of kids, around primary school age, they saw me and my girl, they even said" baby, baby" kinda things. Then they started playing, throwing their ball to each other, just 45degrees to my left, and i carrying my girl with her head resting on my left arm. Initially, i didnt care as it never hurts me or my girl. But after that, they 'lost control' of the ball and came toward me, almost hit my girl's head directly, but luckily i was fast enough.
At that moment, words just came out of my mouth ucontrollably..haha.. scolded them loudly till passerbys came over and asked what happened, they thought im bullying the kids lor! make me even more pissed off!

Queenbabe

got 1 new year.. dont know what the kid did.. which was wrong.. then the small kid just like blahhhhhh the saliva and of cos spot on my hubby...he told the kid like that is wrong.. cant blahhhhh saliva at ppl, then he starting crying!!!!! back to the parents.. then the cousin damn damn angry with my hubby....something like you got no rights to 'scold' my kid.. then my hubby cant do anything but to think if you cant educate your own kid, others ppl will educate for you.. like eg: if we turn the roles around, if if if our kid spit on that cousin, he sure make a big big big fuss 1 ...like tell my in laws ...worst even beat our kid,etc....and wont let our kid off that kind...but if he dare to beat my kid, i sure beat him first then i beat my kid myself... hahahahahaa
Omg ... some people are really hopeless ... make sure u dont get to see him often if not your kid will end up like his ...

agree! 3-4 yrs old never educate properly will be like kids whom i encountered before....

i was waiting for the lift at 1st storey lobby with my then 1+month old girl in my arms. Then came this group of kids, around primary school age, they saw me and my girl, they even said" baby, baby" kinda things. Then they started playing, throwing their ball to each other, just 45degrees to my left, and i carrying my girl with her head resting on my left arm. Initially, i didnt care as it never hurts me or my girl. But after that, they 'lost control' of the ball and came toward me, almost hit my girl's head directly, but luckily i was fast enough.
At that moment, words just came out of my mouth ucontrollably..haha.. scolded them loudly till passerbys came over and asked what happened, they thought im bullying the kids ! make me even more pissed off!
Huh .... U r not alone u r carrying your dd lorr y if the ball hit your dd ... somemore they are primary sch kids not little kids so they shld know what they must do what they must not do .... what kind of words came out from your mouth hehe nextime must take note those passerby came from which direction :001_302: ...

Ting

if the kid accidentally bump pin, i will tell them nvm n faster bring pin intomy hse, if purposely, then they sure kena from me.
i will tell my parents then my mum will definately go tell their parents.
wahahahah~
there was once also, grp of kids running arnd. n pin being her kaypo lil self just stand there n watch them play then they run here n there, nearly bump into pin a few times, i fed up, tell them to stop running later knock into meimei she will cry. then they stop.
for my mum, she wont care, she will tell the kids off if they r misbehaving.
not in a fierce way, but tell them, eg pin napping n they running along the corridor, my mum wil tell them: "xiao didi, xiao meimei, baby slping, dun run here n there, very noisy she cant slp."
then they will stop.

apollo

got 1 new year.. dont know what the kid did.. which was wrong.. then the small kid just like blahhhhhh the saliva and of cos spot on my hubby...he told the kid like that is wrong.. cant blahhhhh saliva at ppl, then he starting crying!!!!! back to the parents.. then the cousin damn damn angry with my hubby....something like you got no rights to 'scold' my kid.. then my hubby cant do anything but to think if you cant educate your own kid, others ppl will educate for you.. like eg: if we turn the roles around, if if if our kid spit on that cousin, he sure make a big big big fuss 1 ...like tell my in laws ...worst even beat our kid,etc....and wont let our kid off that kind...but if he dare to beat my kid, i sure beat him first then i beat my kid myself... hahahahahaa
one has the right to 'tell' other kids they shdnt do that wrong thing if the someone kanna 'affected' but cannot beat the kids cos only parents has the right to beat their own kids, others can only use mouth and not hands..:tlaugh:

Ting

yeah agree, if u say she smack the kid then of cos its nt right.
but to reprimand n correct the child, im also ok.
if pin does something wrong, i wont mind if ppl tell her nicely (not like scoldin her cos afterall only 2.5 years old!),but if they r fierce n nasty i sure to F them back.
btu so far, i always say her b4 anyone does. :p