how protective are you towards yr child?

woofy55

Mummies, let's say you hv 2 kids or more at home.. Eg a 3yr old n 8yr old... What is a typical scenario like when they play together?

I have this situation here which I need sound advise. I am troubled cos I'm wondering if I'm too over protective or I'm normal?

My son is 3yr old and his cousin is 8yr old. They love each other company and I love the fact as well. Cos both kids are only child and it's really good to have a playmate.

I am very appreciative to the fact that my son learns a lot from the cousin. And I like that. However, as most of us know.. When kids are together, they can turn wild. Sometimes, my son is led to play "obstacle courses" games eg. Floor games: Jumping off a cushion.. Jumping over a pillow.. Running on top a train of cushions.. Climbing onto bed with "obstacles"..

My heart turned weak whenever these playings happened. I would start imagining the cushion may slip n he will fall... He will trip over while he jump.. The great thing is my son is able to do these.. At his pace. Sometimes when the cousin see him able to do it, she will push his limit further. It's very natural that I would wanna go support him. But at times I would be stopped by her saying to let him do it himself. Yesterday, she tried teaching him front head roll on a mattress which my heart nearly burst.

I mean.. Seriously. I really hv no objections them playing together. But I just want to know... Am i over reacting? Should I trust my boy that he can do it? I really din wanna be looked that I am over reacting... And of cos sometimes I'll caused the cousin some reprimand by her parents. And I really din wanna to appear so petty.

The cousin will normally listen and stop the "dangerous act" but she will be very disappointed and the atmosphere will became gloomy.

Can I hear some views from you? How can I handle the situation better?

Thanks

Seriously I think it's better to be safe than sorry. No hard feelings... but why are you listening to a 8 year old.? If you think he is not safe doing those stunts then by all means help or stop him. If you allow him to do that, what if one day there is no one around to supervise and accident happen, who can you blame? After all you can only blame yourself. You can let his cousin know, didi is still young, may not be able to handle what she can, so try not to let him do these.

woofy55

Thanks for replying. Don't worry no offense taken... To be honest I hvnt been listening to her.. I hv been saying a lot of no..no ... Better safe than sorry is what I feel too. I din want the situation where we start blaming each other.

Sometimes she gave me "u spoiling the fun look.." Until now I'm beginning to doubt myself. Which starting me thinking if I should let go n let him do it. But guess no matter what I will still be very protective. :p

I hope to hear more from those who has similar experiences too..