How to defrost frozen breastmilk? Help?

foreveris

even if we put the bottle (with chilled milk) in boiling water.. it take quite a few minutes before the milk inside warm up to room temp.. so I think it is quite ok to use boiling water and dip the milk bottle in right?

igal_76

Hi mummies, need to clarify some things. You are not advised to put the frozen milk bags in warmers. This guideline can be found from the instruction booklets of a lot of breast milk bag brand (though no explanation given). The milk should have been melted and transferred into the bottle and then put into the warmer. My immediate previous post was referring to milk that is refrigerated and not frozen.
@foreveris
What I read was valuable nutrients will be lost if you use hot, much less boiling water, I'm sure you want to keep the nutrients at a optimal level for your precious baby :)
If you're in a hurry, use slightly warmer water but I urge you not to use boiling water so as to preserve the nutrients.

hmm.. normally i dont't rewarm the milk. Cos it's no good to keep on warming the milk. What i do is, if baby drinks halfway and stops for a while, i will just put the bottle back into the warmer (without turning on the switch as the water will still be hot). I will discard all breast milk that is not finished after 1 hour. :)
i usually dont't rewarm milk, with the water that i used to warm up milk, ill just put it back into the water and stand. babies do not need to drink very hot milk, generally about room temp should be sufficient. if my girl decides not to finish her milk and want to continue later,ill give her a fresh bottle.
Thanks for the advice! I'm so afraid my girl gets wind drinking cold or cool milk as that's what my MIL tells me. I guess that applies to FM and not BM?

Never re-warm the milk, any unfinished,cool or milk that had been left outside for too long, should discard it.
Anyway, breast milk is free and there are always abundant supply so use generously. Dun hav to feel wasted :001_302:

Mummy to Baby V

Thanks for the advice! I'm so afraid my girl gets wind drinking cold or cool milk as that's what my mother in law tells me. I guess that applies to FM and not breast milk?
When baby drinks directly from the breast, milk temperature is about our body temperature, about 36-37 degree Celsius, so that is the optimum.

A babycare book I read and my home-visit nurse both mention it is fine for baby to drink cold milk, even right out of the fridge, if he enjoys it. My boy (above 12 months old) has been drinking cold fresh milk for 2 months and loves it.

JessTan

When baby drinks directly from the breast, milk temperature is about our body temperature, about 36-37 degree Celsius, so that is the optimum.

A babycare book I read and my home-visit nurse both mention it is fine for baby to drink cold milk, even right out of the fridge, if he enjoys it. My boy (above 12 months old) has been drinking cold fresh milk for 2 months and loves it.
wow! something new i learn..

Hi mummies,

dont worry about the hot flask water temp... they will nv get higher than 98degree... cut off temp 98... unless u use fire boil.. more than 3mins, then water will reach 100.

in other words.. water direct fm breastmilk is safe to warm bm....

cheers

Tabita Blue

To all the great mummies out there, jia you on breastfeeding!! We should give ourselves a pat on the shoulders :) Come celebrate World Breastfeeding Day on 29 August 2010. Hope to see alot of mummies there :)