How to encourage a child to write

tamarind

This thread is meant for kids before 6 years old, who are learning to write. Many parents send their kids to creative writing class, however if the child cannot even write in sentences, then the class will be useless.

I would like to share my experience about how to encourage kids to write from a young age :
Phonics and Reading: How to encourage a child to write

Please feel free to share your experience.

naughty_mummy

hi...i enjoyed reading ur blog. i'm very worried for my son who is in k2 tis yr. he's not able to write well. wat i mean is he cant write words on his own. he's unsure of writting certain alphabets and reading too. pls share wif me what should i do??? he'll b going to pri 1 nxt yr & i'm SUPER worried!!!!!

yvonnemommy

Hi~~That's interesting. Thanks for sharing.
My dear daughter is learning writting from a lovely website beestar. It offers weekly vocabulary worsheets full of vivid pictures and cute stories. dear daughter loves it!:wong19: She always can't wait to finish the 10 quick questions. It helps a lot. dear daughter learns quite quickly:wong29:
Lisa

Sallylee

I like the your blog. I'm very worried for my son who is Primary 2 now but the writing like k1 or nursery. He don't like to do homework or writing. Can anyone help me what I must do? I'm very worried.

AussieinSG

Dear Naughty_mummy,

I have seen this concern before and if you can fix it before he start 'big school' it will be best for your child.
Often when children struggle with the basics it is due to learning more than one system at the same time, some children
can handle it, while it is really confusing to others. Can you please give me a more background information on
how he learnt phonics and where he learned to write ? Did he first learn a phonics system or did he learn the sounds of
letters and the name for letters (alphabet) at the same time ? In a proper early reading program in English the focus should
have been on learning the phonics (sounds) of the letters first. He is still nice and young and if this is his major problem it
should be fairly straight forward to figure out and fix. :) Please give me more background info and I will try to think of
how we can help. Does he have ok fine motor skills in general ? If you put lots of little (really little) balls of paper in front
of him on the table, can he pick them up between his two fingers (like a tweezer ?)
Love
AussieinSG

AussieinSG

Dear Tamarind,

Sorry, I completely forgot to say - fantastic job on the blog. It is very interesting
and informative. :) Well done !

Love
AussieinSG