How to encourage you kids to keep the toys after playing

joycelyn

My daughter is 3 yrs old. She has a habit of not keeping the toys after playing. Anyone got any suggestive ideas? Try to talk to her nicely but dont really work

jedamum

haha...
we did not 'encourage' to start with.
we threaten. if he did not keep, the toys go straight into the storeroom.
he is on automode now.

chergaby

This is what we'll do:

Pack them up yourself & encourage her to help. At this stage, kids want to show that they are independent, so you can ask her to help you. To make the process fun, you can sing some "Clean Up" Songs. I'll usually sing "It is the time to keep my toys" to the tune of When We Go Round the Mulberry Bush.

If she's in the 'Ignore" mode, then I'll asked her is this the way she handles her toys in school? Okay, I'll check wz your teacher tomorrow.

Last resort...I'll threaten: Oh it seems like you do not like your toys anymore since you don't keep them. Ok I'll throw them away.

HTH...Good luck!

mae

I didn't encourage, I didn't say anything...I fixed her toys then keep...next time she ask...I tell her if you don't fix after you play...mommy will NOT give you next time no matter what you say. Now she is keen in doing it, but sometimes when she feels tired already...she will tell me mommy i will fix it later, can?

vandia82

I'm much more lucky, coz my 2 yrs old girl very 'KPO', what I do she will follow and learn. Used to keep her toys for her then she learn, so when she finish playing, I will say, girl, you haven keep your toys lehz, be a good girl and keep them, ok? Then she will slowly get the bag and start packing. Just that these few days she's getting lazier, need me to prompt again and again b4 she does it, else, I will have to take the first step by keeping and then ask her to help me by passing me all the toys...

I do agree, kids will want to prove they are independent in a way or prove that they are capable and wants some acknowledgement, like my girl, she like to do things for us and then expect us to say thank you to her or clever girl. To the extreme that at times she will do the xtra things, like taking our hp to us even we dont need it. Lol..

deardar

i didnt teach him at all or even train him
i jus do it in front of him after he played with his toys

the next time after he played his toy i jus tell him to keep & put back into the container he will put everything in ...

mamasweety

By telling and pointing to the correct place to put.
This has to be on and on and on and on........

Not forgetting the shoutings to tell them again and again....
And yeah... it paid off for me... :)

Catherine

I keep the toys with them. This is much easier than just commanding them to pick up the toys clean. You do it together and they'll do it more willingly and more fun. If they don't do it with my help, I'll not let them play with the toys for a while and they know I keep my words. Most of the time, discipline has to go with consistency. Of course, once in a while I know they are tired out at the end of the day, I'll keep it for them. :p

jeSsie_Dz

i show them since young how to put things back.. need consistence reminder also thou.. so now my elder one wil show the younger one how to do it lor.. :)

`julee

i jus clean after her. but usuali she is one KPO girl so she ends up helping me out also...
but smart.. she cleans up and see house toy-less ah, something fishy.. once she dump everything in her cot. i onli realise this wen wan to put her to sleep..

cendrine

I always remind zann to keep her toys back after playing.
I would show her for the start, which we would be keeping together.
After that, she did it by herself.
If she still doesnt keep, then she will have no toy to play on that day.

Children like to imitate.
If one keeps the toy, the others would follow.
I saw this scene in the childcare.

Not sure if it works at home...:tlaugh:

Enquiries

I will ask her to keep the toys before she can do the next things eg. bath, eat or go out..etc..

When she keep maybe pick up the few things she will tired of it, but will let to praise her wa..she so good and clever know how she keep her toys and sometimes will clap for her.

She will be very happy and start to pick all the toys up very quickly.

aby

This is what we'll do:

Pack them up yourself & encourage her to help. At this stage, kids want to show that they are independent, so you can ask her to help you. To make the process fun, you can sing some "Clean Up" Songs. I'll usually sing "It is the time to keep my toys" to the tune of When We Go Round the Mulberry Bush.

If she's in the 'Ignore" mode, then I'll asked her is this the way she handles her toys in school? Okay, I'll check wz your teacher tomorrow.

Last resort...I'll threaten: Oh it seems like you do not like your toys anymore since you don't keep them. Ok I'll throw them away.

HTH...Good luck!
Exactly the same appraoch.. :Dancing_wub:

I used to say throw away.. But so sayang right? So I now say give away to other better boi boi and ger ger..

Cheers! :red:

Friend

Exactly the same appraoch.. :Dancing_wub:

I used to say throw away.. But so sayang right? So I now say give away to other better boi boi and ger ger..

Cheers! :red:
I also used this approach, so far so gd. Besides singing, i also compete with them to see who keep more and fast.

They enjoyed this very much and will ask to compete with me.

Have a nice wkend...:Dancing_tongue:

Carol

My Ds is still young but I had some experience with toddlers when I was working in childcare .

1. Sing songs and keep together with them .
2. Tell them wad we're going to do aft clearing up and we're not going to start unless they start to keep .
3. When all methods dun work , pack the toys in a container/bag and tell them we're going to keep for them until they know how to clear up aft playing .

joycelyn

well my daughter shown some improvement. she will keeps the toys on her own when been reminded but then if no reminder given she will tends to forget again.

My son doesnt like to keep his toys aft playing too (at first).

now he has already has this habit of keeping his toys aft playing, even though sometimes he will forget =p

i will keep his toys in front of him aft he finished with his toys.
aft a few times, i will tell him to help me to keep the toys, & we will do it together.....
so aft doin that for a few times, i will tell him to keep them on his own.
& he did.
=)

but if he's playing in the living room, he will tell the maid to keep. (=.=)