how to get my baby to bottle feed frm me

cenagal

Hi Mums,
My gal is 6 weeks old and me and my husband are unable to bottlefeed her regardless of ebm or fm.
She will only take the bottle frm other people than us. I am seeking help as I have problem increasing my milk supply, it seems to be maximum 60ml every 2 hours and normally she drink ard 100ml per feed. If my in laws are working I am unable to pump after my gal latch on every 1.5 - 2 hrs and she drink for 40min -1 hr. As I am afraid she may not have enough for her next feed. I understand in order to generate more milk require more demand than supply. This have been fighting this issue for 2 weeks. It breaks my heart to see each time she does not have enough to drink and keep crying till her face turn so red and no voice came out. I am taking fenugreek 4 x 3 times a day and been drinking around 4-5 liters of water. It seems like it is not really increasing. Anyone can help??

Hi,

Don be frustrated, milk normally come slowly.. for my case, I have not much milk at start and got to feed my gal fm.. don give up and cont to bf ur gal or pump out if not to feed directly. Don be stress !

You need to eat more, drink more water/soup, eat more fish..

my milk only come more at 2nd mth++..

Gambate!

ast0212

Awww...Hugs to you!! Please try not to stress over it. It can be a very trying period and baby is still learning to breastfeed as well as adapt to the new environment around her.

Stress affects milk supply and your baby can also feel if you are tense and they tend to tense up too. Babies cry for all sorts of reasons in the early weeks and it is not necessarily to do with your supply. They're also feeling uncomfortable as their gut is learning to work on its own and sometimes they can be windy.

Drinking 40mins to 1 hour is normal for newborns and your breasts will make enough for her next feed, in fact allowing her to drink for that long will certainly increase your milk supply through all the stimulation your breasts are getting. It only takes the breasts about 30 minutes to refill and breasts are never really empty anyway, so don't worry about having no milk. Pumping does help a little but remember that expressed milk is not a true indication of how much milk you're making. Babies are much more efficient than hospital grade pumps.

During this time allow your baby to feed as often as possible (direct latching is best for increasing supply) for as long as she needs to. Every time she cries, stick a boob in her mouth. At this stage all they want to do is suckle suckle suckle, and it also helps the milk move along in their digestive system. It's ok if she is rejecting bottles right now because she just wants you. Right now, you're all she knows. If you can, go skin to skin or carry her as much as possible as that has a hormonal effect and increases your supply too.

The early weeks are always daunting and filled with anxiety for just about anything. Take one day at a time, it does get better :)

All the best! :001_302:

cenagal

thks for the encouragement, as I be going oversea for 5 days in 2 weeks time I am worried as my husband unable to bottlefeed my baby. she will scream n cry till the bottle is out of her mouth. Sigh.. we tried syringe n spoon but still the same. End up still have to force feed her. She has colic thus I am afraid it will worsen her condition. Don't know how my bb will become when i go overseas.... I am thinking of going to parentcraft for their1-1 course to see if they can help to get my bb to bottlefeed. I read frm forum saying some mums went and succeed in getting their bb to accept the bottle again. Any mums went there and able to advise?

cenagal

my bb gal finally accept bottle after my trip. she needs to be placed in the rocker or bed as she does nit like to be carried while feeding. I am posting this msg to encourage mums out there who are having difficulties feeding bb bottles... cheers to breastfeeding!