how to introduce bottle at 3 month ?

tania10

hi
I am first time mummy, Little one is 3 month 2 weeks. He is exclusively breastfed . Few days ago i gave him bottle very first time , he made face , played with the nipple , didn't want to swallow the milk . When he swallowed the milk , he instantly vomited all. He had reflux problem. He vomits at least once everyday. That is why i preferred direct latch on . I have no idea of bottle feeding. Though he likes his avent pacifier. should i try to feed him when he is drowsy ? Is there any risk of chocking?

Last edited:

tania10

My boy was exclusively breastfed, he rejected bottle at about 4 months old after I stop offering him for a month. He'd slight reflux too.

My home-visit nurse said the window to introduce bottle is 6-8 weeks old. After that, baby would likely reject it.

Alternatively, use cup, syringe or spoon to feed EBM. Cup worked for my boy and we used this:
Review: Medela Disposable Baby Cup Feeder | Mummy's Reviews[/QUO

never knew this :(:(. nobody told us before. now suffer . thought baby will take bottle any time as he uses pacifier. Now my supply goes up and down all the time. when supply low he does want to nurse . I have to fight with him very stressful specially at evening. so sad. he is hungry but does not want to nurse.

I tried to spoon feed by squeezes some fresh breast milk but he didn't want to swallow. spit out milk . Very picky . only option is try and try. But problem is he always vomits out if does not like anything.

thanks for your suggestion.

Mummy to Baby V

I can imagine... I panicked too when suddenly realized son didn't want bottle. He liked it a lot at first, so I got complacent and stopped offering. Yes, got to try various methods and see which works.

And when feeding through bottle / cup / syringe / spoon, let someone else do it. You must hide, cos baby can smell mummy around and choose to reject alternative feeding method.

To bring up supply, latching on is still the best. Can also pump for 5-10 min after a feed for further stimulation. And drink nursing tea.

tania10

Thanks Mummy to Baby very
Quite frustrating . I never had supply issue , even lactation consultant was surprised when I had engorgement 3rd day after delivery . But my nightmare began 2 weeks ago when I got my period back . suddenly my supply dropped within one day from very good supply. It continued 4 days until my period stopped . Then i regained supply . Last 2 days I realized my supply dropped again as it is ovulation time . If every month happen like this then how . It is not lactation problem , it happens due to hormone fluctuation. Exclusive breastfeeding but got period back at 3 month quite hard joke, right ?:wong13:

He was so cranky those days , crying non stop, so hungry but didn't want to nurse, . I am so stressed and sad now . I did not keep any alternative feeding option.

At his 3 month visit pedi told us he is ready for solid . We can start when he is 4 month . It is so early . But what can I do ?

Mummy to Baby V

Another possibility is early teething. When teething, gums are uncomfortable, baby gets cranky and may not feed well. Is baby drooling more nowadays?

Yes, menses will affect milk supply. Guess only way is to latch on more often during such times.
Menses usually return when baby starts to sleep longer stretches of 5-6 hours at night.
My boy was a fussy sleeper and suckled frequently at night till 18 months old, so my menses were MIA for that long. But that means we didn't get to sleep through the night for that long too. Think positive, yah?

As for introducing solids, our paed, home-visit nurse and the updated materials I read say 5.5-6 months is more suitable to start. There's really no rush now. My boy has a huge appetite, yet I waited till 6.5 months. Really wanted his digestive system to be more ready. This is something no one can actually see.

Read my article on:
How to Introduce Solid Foods to Your Baby | Mummy's Reviews

Mummy to Baby V

Oh, and alternative feeding method refers to feeding EBM with cup / syringe / spoon. It's best to breastfeed as long as possible.

During good supply, express more milk to store. This can help when supply is temporarily low during menses.

And feeding stressed can affect milk supply too. Whatever happens, think positive and try TK be cheerful. When Mummy's happy, baby will be calm and happy too. I was very stressed when confinement lady left and baby was very fussy. After that, our nurse told me to relax. When I relaxed, baby cried a lot less. :)

And have you tried carrying baby in sling before? It calms baby down and makes nursing easier too.

Last edited:

tania10

teething so early ? he gets a lot saliva and his tongue is always out these days . Also wants to eat hands all the time. are these signs of teething ?

He never sleep through the night . I always nurse every 2-3 hours as he has reflux. cant handle too much at a time . So prefer small feeding .I wake up 2 to 3 times every night to nurse him. May be I did not do comfort nursing or get high hormone level.

I am trying to feed him fresh EBM. So far unsuccessful. Keep trying let see what happen. Also yesterday bought a sling. have not try yet. BTW where I can buy the medela feeding cup.

And his doctor suggested himself after checking baby. Never ask , may be thought early solid could help baby reflux, as he vomits everyday. Though I dont intend to do so early.

Thanks, you give a lot of information.

Mummy to Baby V

Yes, sound like teething signs. Teething can happen very early for some babies. Some babies are even born with 1 tooth! My cousin sprouted first tooth at 3 months old. Usually, teething discomfort can last weeks or months before first tooth appears. Some babies breeze through the process; others are fussier. My boy is the fussy type; for every tooth, so I'm glad he's 2 finally years old now. :)

For reflux, it could also be a sensitive reaction to something you ate. If you realize a pattern in reaction after you eat something, then try removing that item to see if baby feels better. Typical allergenic foods: dairy, eggs, soy, wheat, nuts
Read more on reflux at Possible Causes - InfantReflux.Org

My fussy had reflux from 4 months old too. I propped him up after feeds for 15-20 minutes to ease the discomfort. At least 30-deg angle.

Have faith that this challenging stage will pass very soon as babies grow up very fast. All the best! :)

We're now in KL, so not sure where to get the feeding cups in S'pore. I got mine from hospital and saw them at Robinsons' KL. Can also try getting Medela retailers to order them for you.