How to keep babies warm when going out?

bbyoshi

I want to bring my 5 weeks old twin boys out. As the places we frequent are usually air-conditioned, i am not sure if the clothes i dress the boys in are warm enough for them.

I normally dress them in those one piece clothes or juz a t-shirt. I dun wear shorts or pants for them to make diaper changing easier. I put on mittens and booties, swaddle them and then cover them with a blanket..

Is that okie? What other clothes can they wear to keep warm?

apollo

when we 1st brought ds out when he was ard 2-3 weeks old, we only let him wear a piece of short sleeve romper, socks, mittens, tt's it... but since ur baby is alrdy 5weeks old, it is up to u to let him wear mittens.. =)

hakisumi

Hmmm.I recently just stop let Graham wear mittens..
When we go out usually is one pc long sleeve,sometimes w or wo pants..but def another blanket to wrap ard the btm part..(under the armpit) so his hands is free

and socks..

Ting

when u go to air conditioned places. make sure u wear shirts with sleeves to cover hsi shoulders, n wear socks to cover his feet.
would be good if u cover up his knees too. (a blankie will do just fine)
for me, i always bring an extra jacket/sweater out when pin was a baby, so if its too cold then i will put it on for her.

meiteoh

The golden rule is this - dress your baby as how you would dress. Would you go to a shopping mall wearing gloves, a hat, scarf and the like? No, I'm sure. Most people I see here go to shopping malls and other air conditioned places in shorts, slippers and so forth. So really, there is no need for mittens or a hat. At most you may want to bring some socks but otherwise, the rest is overkill, IMHO.

At 5 weeks old, a baby's body temperature is already steady - otherwise they would still be in the hospital! So don't worry about it being too cold or too hot; your baby will tell you if they are uncomfortable! Overheating your baby can be dangerous so stick to what you would wear as a gauge.

I've brought Eva out to many shopping malls dressed only in a short sleeved romper and perhaps a nappy to cover her legs when she naps. Even then, she'll kick it and expose her feet! And she's fine - no issues with colic and all that either.

bbyoshi

okie dokie.. thank you everybody :001_302::001_302:

I also think i wrap them up too warmly.. hehe...

diymummy

I usually pack a jacket in the diaper bag. If it gets cold, I just wear it over him. At least it is removable.

jasobias

i always carry a blankie in case she falls asleep or i spend too long in mall.But mittens n hats all no need already at 5 weeks.Wear one piece n socks.If get cold give baby blankie(those light weight ones) or even use cloth nappy

bbyoshi

okie... tot mittens are needed to prevent the babies from scratching themselves?

i only got booties for them coz i din know that there's socks for them to wear..:embarrassed: will go get some socks for them :001_302:

no need swaddle also right?

Wat about at home? do you swaddle them? i keep them swaddled up 24/7 juz like in the hospital... the boys sleep in air-con room so i swaddle them then cover them wif thick blanket... is it too warm? i set the air-con temp to abt 25-26 degrees

uddermummy

You can try legwarmers. They are like toeless long socks which can be worn over the arms or legs.

Meiteoh is right about dressing the baby as we would dress. If I'm going to places at night that I know will be freezing (e.g Great World City, Achorpoint, Ikea etc), I just dress dd in shirt and long pants. If she's in a short onesie, I'll just put the legwarmers over her legs. Other times in the day, she just goes around in a short onesie.

I used to swaddle my girl and she also sleeps in an air-con room. 25 degrees may be too high if the swaddle is thick cotton, and you're putting a blanket on top of them. To check if your boys are warm, you can feel their napes with your hand. It's not safe to dress the bbs too warmly cos it increases the risk of SID.

woofy55

hmm.. i also let Louis wear mittens though he is now 8wks old.. hee.. his hand looked like doraemon's hand when wearing mittens... round and fat.. so cute... but main reason is to prevent him from scratching himself. his nails grows so fast!! i cut every other day.

during day time in aircon room (26degreesC) at home - he wear a short sleeves top and diaper. recently i swaddle him again as he gets startled easily, but i only swaddle his hands... meaning.. i opened up the nappy, fold downwards triangle as usual, but i don't keep his feet in.. only his hands are "tied"... so with the "tail" of the nappy.. i just flip and cover his feet..

bbyoshi

okie dokie... thankie.. i will take note. In the day the boys are wif me in my room. I on the air-con to 25 degrees.

but at night, they sleep wif my mother. She dun on air-con. She on the fan, swaddle the boys, cover them wif blanket. Sometimes she also use her own blanket to cover them too.. i wonder if its too warm..

i ask my mother, she say the babies must be kept warm warm then they can sleep...

meiteoh

She is right to say that babies sleep when they are warm BUT it's deep sleep and in young babies, deep sleep is dangerous as they can go into sleep apnea and "forget" to wake themselves up, thus they suffocate in their sleep. This is why light sleep is preferable in young babies and the recommendation is to dress them lightly at night.

cmeilim

my boy hated being swaddled since being discharged from hospital. he also kicked away all blankies or nappy cloth to cover his legs. he gets hot and sweaty really easily, so we always dress him lightly but bring along a thin blankie just in case. we just dress him in those long sleeve, thin sleepsuit with footsies at night as we sometimes switch on the aircon to abt 26deg for an hour or two to cool down the room to help him get into sleep. if it gets too hot, he can't sleep.

bbyoshi

the boys are fine being swaddled up.. but their hands will always find some way to wiggle out no matter how tight it is.. so i gave up trying to swaddle their hands.

yesterday i dress them lightly... they seem to sleep better... :001_302:
now i dun bundle them up to warmly... think they will be more comfy now.. hehe