How to know if baby is having diarrhea?

gggmb

Hi mummies,

My son from birth, poos about 8-10 times a day. Explosive, yellow mustard-looking "runny" poo that has no foul-smell. Noticed that he started poo-ing lesser to about 4-6 times with same type of poo at certain times like afternoon and late evening about a week ago so thought he's starting to hv a "scheduled" poo freq since now 2mths, older already...not really considered "newborn".

However, 2 days ago, he started having poo about 5-6 times with more "runny" poo with a foul smell. Sometimes green sometimes yellow-mustard.....not sure if it's diarrhea? I'm kinda basing this coz just when I started seeing a regular poo pattern but suddenly returned to a "non-timing" poo schedule which is more like a "newborn". Is he having diarrhea? (more smelly, a little sticky and alot at one time) or it's too early for him to have a "scheduled" poo freq since 2 mths on exclusive breastfeed. He's still feeding well, though drinking slightly more often after a huge poo.

Peace
Grace

ling.er

Hi mummies,

My son from birth, poos about 8-10 times a day. Explosive, yellow mustard-looking "runny" poo that has no foul-smell. Noticed that he started poo-ing lesser to about 4-6 times with same type of poo at certain times like afternoon and late evening about a week ago so thought he's starting to have a "scheduled" poo freq since now 2mths, older already...not really considered "newborn".

However, 2 days ago, he started having poo about 5-6 times with more "runny" poo with a foul smell. Sometimes green sometimes yellow-mustard.....not sure if it's diarrhea? I'm kinda basing this coz just when I started seeing a regular poo pattern but suddenly returned to a "non-timing" poo schedule which is more like a "newborn". Is he having diarrhea? (more smelly, a little sticky and alot at one time) or it's too early for him to have a "scheduled" poo freq since 2 mths on exclusive breastfeed. He's still feeding well, though drinking slightly more often after a huge poo.

Peace
Grace

RUNNY ? Watery or ?? As wat i knw if watery then consider diarrhe .. IF baby after feed poo is normal.. My fren baby aso like tat .. But as for my son when he is newborn to 1mth sometime poo once or twice aday but sometime nearly 1wk nv poo .. Nw he alrd 2mth same once or twice aday.. same as ur baby also greenish + abit or yellowish .. I ask doc they say is normal.. .. Some pp told mi tat foul poo cos they drink B.M !

R u 100% B.F ?? (Im on 50/50 )
B4 i change my son formula he aso had foul sticky poo.. Nw is bette nt as foul as last time.. ( Nan Ha to Nan Pro )

If u worry brin to see a doc ^^

gggmb

RUNNY ? Watery or ?? As what i knw if watery then consider diarrhe .. IF baby after feed poo is normal.. My friend baby aso like that .. But as for my son when he is newborn to 1mth sometime poo once or twice aday but sometime nearly 1wk never poo .. now he alrd 2mth same once or twice aday.. same as your baby also greenish + abit or yellowish .. I ask doc they say is normal.. .. Some pp told mi that foul poo cos they drink B.M !

R you 100% B.F ?? (Im on 50/50 )
before i change my son formula he aso had foul sticky poo.. now is bette not as foul as last time.. ( Nan Ha to Nan Pro )

If you worry brin to see a doc ^^
@ ling-er: Think it's runny...more sticky like those mozzarella-kinda-stretch sometimes...hahaha...and it was the smell that got me worried coz it really stinks like adult diarrhea....I'm on exclusive BF....monitored him for 2-3 days....he's still active and nursing as normal....and the freq is about 5-6 poo per 24hr day and min stretch is at least 3-4hrs betw each average poo so didn't bring him see doc....now back to normal, the smell is gone and not poo-ing so much at one time....initially thought it was something I ate like yoghurt that made him diarrhea....so stopped eating that....

Peace
Grace

gggmb

Thks DIYmummy! My son sometimes had the bright green poo and I was so worried.....now I understd that it's the foremilk-hindmilk imbalance! Yah...recalling, he sometimes nurses only 10mins....thks so much for yr link....hmm, but sometimes I wonder what's "watery" stool....just in case I dont get mixed up with "runny" poo....

Peace
Grace

Last edited:

diymummy

I think you should look out more for what the poo really look like than just using a term all in all to describe it as it can sometimes be misunderstood...

If your child is passing mostly water, ie, very little "seeds"/hard pieces, mostly yellow water, then you should bring your baby to see a doctor or put her on medication.

If the stools are seedy, means not all water, it could be diarrhea if this happens more than 5 times a day.

Usually diarrhea would cause very red and sore bottoms due to the acidity of the poo.

jesline kek

Hi In Loss,

May I know how old is yr baby?

My son now is 5mths old. When he was 4mths old ++, he has diarrhea. So Dr suggested me to SOY Ismoil. And the diarrhea stop but whenever he poo, it is very smelly.

Now I have been mixing the SOY w his FM. But when I add mote FM, the diarrhea come back. If I reduce the qty of FM and add more SOY, he' ok.

I will suggest you call the DR up 1st n check bf bring him to the jet . My email is jesline17@yahoo.com. We may discuss thru there faster