How to make baby sleep throughout

moomoo85

Hi Mummies,

Ds now 8mths... from birth till now he never sleeps more then 3hrs even at night...

Any idea what should i do to make him sleep throughout?

Cheechee

Try the complete sleep guide for contented little babies and toddlers by Gina Ford. It can be found in major book stores. I was skeptical about it initially... thought it worked only on angmoh babies but after my baby keep waking every hour or two every night for for past 4 months...I finally hardened my heart to train him to sleep. Now my baby is 5 months old and he is sleeping from 7pm to 7am, giving my husband and I time to ourselves in the evening.

annie

7-7 without waking up at all? thats good! my girl sleeps from 930-630 n wake up for first feed then sleep again...

diymummy

My boy slept through 9pm to 5am at 3 mths.

For us, we just ensured that he was fed enough in the day and has had enough activities in the day. We also subscribed to a sleep routine where you wiped his face and kissed him before letting him sleep.

Sometimes he would cry at night but we would let him do so for 10min before attending to him. Initially he did that and he fell back to sleep.

Ting

be persistent.
dim/off all lights, make sure environmant is quiet.
when he wakes up in the middle of the night, ignore/pat him back to slp.
pin been slping thru from arnd 8 pm til 8am since 2 mths old.

npoheng

Hi, dear mummies, my wife's friend just told her that can mix some nestum with normal milk nan 1 for my 6 weeks old baby so that she can sleep longer in the night. Is it advisable to do so?

Last edited:

kathtan

I tried all types- read Gina Ford's book, delay his last milk time to as late as possible, reduce his nap time, darken the room, cool temperature, sing the same song and routine... but my twins yet to be able to do so. Maybe coz they affect each other? Sometimes Gor Gor can sleep from 12mn to 6am but Di Di will wake up at 2am and 7 am. sigh. You can't have the cake and eat it, I guess. So i have given up trying to make them sleep throughout. All the best to those who are trying, perhaps single baby is easier?

Cheechee

Strange....3 of my friends have done Gina Ford and it worked for them. For mine, it is due to sleep association. My boy needs to be carried to sleep and I need to walk around every hour or two every night to get him to fall back to sleep. I tried cradle aka yaolan but he refused it after 1 week of trying. With GF, after 3 days of training, he managed to sleep thru'.

Starbat11

I posted a similiar thread previously. Some mummies suggested offering plain water to the bb if they wake up at nite. Accordingly, it worked.

For me, I was on TBF. Didnt want to feed him water. So, I carried on with the normal waking up and feeding and coaxing him to sleep. Fortunately, he slept thro one fine day. I was v hapie when it happened. I did NOTHING special.

ping26

I posted a similiar thread previously. Some mummies suggested offering plain water to the baby if they wake up at nite. Accordingly, it worked.

For me, I was on TBF. Didnt want to feed him water. So, I carried on with the normal waking up and feeding and coaxing him to sleep. Fortunately, he slept thro one fine day. I was very hapie when it happened. I did NOTHING special.

My baby used to sleep thro, then started waking at 5mth+. tried the water but she was so hungry that she woke up every hr... (panda eyes) finally gave night feed 1-2x. Now she either sleeps thro or takes 1 feed. whew...

(she ate 2x day at 6 mth & still hungry)

If it's extreme hunger, I think we just have to feed milk. Can try water or patting for 1-2weeks. I think Jasobias' 3 babies ate 3 full meals per day & still need night feeds. hahaha...

If it's gas, then putting oil before sleeping, should help.
Patting and rocking also help for gas/colic & mild hunger.

Ting

all babies r different.
cant expect the same method to work on all kids.
need to trial n error to see which works best for your kids.
kathtan, i think for twins, it is more difficult cos in one way or another, they do affect each other, esp if they r slping tgt.
but i think, u shld contd trying.
i know of one mummy, she just gv up tryin n her kid only slpt thru at abt 2 year plus..
can u imagine how tiring it is to wake up everynight to feed your child n coax him/her back to slp for 2 years plus.
n she is a FTWM, which is very exhausting for her.

for me, i always give pin a btl of milk when its bed time, n will pat her to slp as she drinks her milk. always works.:)

nancy

My baby used to sleep thro, then started waking at 5mth+. tried the water but she was so hungry that she woke up every hr... (panda eyes) finally gave night feed 1-2x. Now she either sleeps thro or takes 1 feed. whew...

(she ate 2x day at 6 month & still hungry)

If it's extreme hunger, I think we just have to feed milk. Can try water or patting for 1-2weeks. I think Jasobias' 3 babies ate 3 full meals per day & still need night feeds. hahaha...

If it's gas, then putting oil before sleeping, should help.
Patting and rocking also help for gas/colic & mild hunger.
I'm having the same problem as Ping26. My baby was able to sleep thro before 4 mths old and then when I started on semi solid food on 6 mth, she started to wake up once or twice every night crying and I have to nurse her to sleep (and she seemed to drink a lot during that time too). Now she is 7mth old and still waking up for milk. Sigh