How to make bean pillow urself?

lyra

Hi mummies, anyone knows how to DIY those bean pillow that mothers like to put on babies' tummy while they sleep? What kind of bean do you use? Or do you know someone who make these pillows?

Thanks!

My girl has 2 at home and 1 for going out. My mum made it for her, inside is beansprout husk( shine and dry till very very dry. And green bean wif some rice. My girl has to hug it to slp every night. Once I place on her she knows it's bed time.

hpc

Rice n green bean will have bug after sometimes or get wet.Can try n buy bean pillow from baby shops.U can buy ready washed beanspout husk from Yishun or Chong Pang market.

I used to buy bean sprouts almost everyday when I wanted to make one.
I asked the seller if can collect the husk and sell me but they didnt look too keen.
Until the 4th day, they suddenly passed me a bag of husks FOC. hehehe.

After separating the husks and the sprouts, I will use a basket to contain the husks and let the HOT SUN dry it. Think I did this for like 3 or 4 days, just to be sure.

As for the pillow/ bolster case, I went to spotlight and chose a nice piece of fabric.
Handsewn.

I would do it again just for fun. :001_302:

lyra

That is so cool! U handsew it for ur baby! I'll want to do that too but my mom n mil say cannot use needles to sew things... Haiz. But I asked my dad to help me n he's sun drying the beansprout husks now. It's not easy task separating the husks from the beans sprouts. Maybe I'll make a pillow case for baby when I'm able to :)
I used to buy bean sprouts almost everyday when I wanted to make one.
I asked the seller if can collect the husk and sell me but they didnt look too keen.
Until the 4th day, they suddenly passed me a bag of husks FOC. hehehe.

After separating the husks and the sprouts, I will use a basket to contain the husks and let the HOT SUN dry it. Think I did this for like 3 or 4 days, just to be sure.

As for the pillow/ bolster case, I went to spotlight and chose a nice piece of fabric.
Handsewn.

I would do it again just for fun. :001_302:

hpc

U mean u didn't wash the beansprout husk?I washed the husk if I use this,buttwheat no need.I make pillows n bolster for all babies I look after.

lyra

Just want to let all know that the AMK stall which sells cheaper bb stuff (opp AMK Polyclinic) is selling beansprout pillow for $15 each :)

Seastar

My good friend made bean pillow and bolster for my unborn baby. Anybody knows what are the benefits of using it?

lyra

I was told it's to cover baby's tummy and to reduce startling baby. I dunno if it has any effect... but mine were made by baby's grandparents and there's a lot of love into it so, I love to let baby use it haha

My good friend made bean pillow and bolster for my unborn baby. Anybody knows what are the benefits of using it?

verieying

my late granny made for my elder kids as she thinks it's cooler than usual foam or cotton material, and more importantly, the weight of the beans will weigh down the baby in case they startle, just like a comforting hand.
she will place it across the baby, like kinda hold down their hands as when they startle, the hands wil come up first, and legs too sometimes. In case you are looking for one,after seeing some expensive ones p to almost $40 bucks, I bought mine from taka at $16.90.

lyra

Mine doesn't help with holding down baby's hand. He's about 5 weeks old, and I placed the pillow over his arms and tummy at night. Suddenly, I heard him making err err err noises. I woke up and was horrified to see that he has managed to raised both his arms up and the pillow had fallen onto his face. Lucky its soft enough not to suffocate him. He was in such distress that he broke out in sweat. I only place the pillow on his tummy since then.

my late granny made for my elder kids as she thinks it's cooler than usual foam or cotton material, and more importantly, the weight of the beans will weigh down the baby in case they startle, just like a comforting hand.
she will place it across the baby, like kinda hold down their hands as when they startle, the hands wil come up first, and legs too sometimes. In case you are looking for one,after seeing some expensive ones p to almost $40 bucks, I bought mine from taka at $16.90.

verieying

Mine doesn't help with holding down baby's hand. He's about 5 weeks old, and I placed the pillow over his arms and tummy at night. Suddenly, I heard him making err err err noises. I woke up and was horrified to see that he has managed to raised both his arms up and the pillow had fallen onto his face. Lucky its soft enough not to suffocate him. He was in such distress that he broke out in sweat. I only place the pillow on his tummy since then.
hi lyra, maybe u can try swaddling him instead? prev. i always wrap baby up in cloth diapers ( cooler as thinner than blankie) so the baby feels seure like elders shared. howevr, w the numerous swaddling cloth of various sizes w velcro avail. now, maybe u can ty that insted? i bought a pack too so i can letbaby wear when he is out ;)

lyra

I never swaddle him now coz he hates to be swaddled he's used to not being swaddled. I just let him sleep beside me with the bean pillow on his tummy.

hi lyra, maybe u can try swaddling him instead? prev. i always wrap baby up in cloth diapers ( cooler as thinner than blankie) so the baby feels seure like elders shared. howevr, w the numerous swaddling cloth of various sizes w velcro avail. now, maybe u can ty that insted? i bought a pack too so i can letbaby wear when he is out ;)