how to make tastier porridge

fionliu

i give my girl chicken stock porridge but she dun like it , she likes to eat cereal, how to make a porridge more tastier cos i taste my porridge, its tasteless.thks

jiajia

how old is ur gal. Perhaps she likes it to taste 'sweeter'? Add some carrot or scallop. Actually i prefer to use fish (ikan billis) stock. I would boil the water with ikan billis for abt 10-15mins, then drain out the ikan billis add uncooked rice with carrot, scallop and a small slice of threadfin fish. Taste sweeter instead of salty. If you gal is above 1 yr old, maybe can add half teaspoon of vegetarian oyster sauces. but i prefer to used natural ingredient till they are about 18mths old n above

camom

I won't use veg oyster sauce due to the high sodium content. I used to rely on homemade veg stock n pork or pork bone stock to make the soup for my kids' porridges. Now that they are bigger, I also use fish bone to make stock as a base for their meals.

Btw, how did u make your stock?

fionliu

My girl is 7 month plus, I just follow a book call baby first food Asia taste for the chicken stock add chicken and mushroom only , when it's done my husband say smell smelly. Ikan bilis can be use for 7 month baby? Now intrying another one using pork sweet corn and carrot to boil the stock, btw what type of scallop u using? Dried scallop from those selling bird nest shop? Need to soak in water first?

jiajia

yes those dried scallop, soak in warm water till soft (don't throw away the water after soaking) then boil together with ikan billis, carrot to make stock.

I thought ikan billis should be ok and good, if you afraid baby can't digest well, then use pork.

angiebaby

when i small mom will cook plain porridge but add milk inside, and till now i still cook for myself sometime, can even eat it cold, like dessert.

baby_elmo

My in law bought the ikan bills & removed the head. Washed & pan fried them till dry (without oil) Blended it into powder & stored it in a container. We cook the porridge with carrots; tomato; Japanese sweet potato;or sweet corn to add sweetness to the porridge. Not forgetting ikan bills powder. My gal can finish 1 bowl of porridge (ikea plastic bowl) each meal. Once or twice feeding a day since she about 8-9 months old.

However, she hatesp drinking milk. Sigh...

Mummy to Baby V

My son's diet is vegetarian until 1 year old, when we started introducing fish.
Our super-tasty vegetable stock for porridge:
- 1 sweetcorn: cut into 3-4 pieces
- 1-2 carrots: cut
- 1 potato / celery / onion (Japanese or cream onions are tasty) (celery & onion help to counter fishy taste if baby is eating fish): cut
- water to cover ingredients
- boil on high high heat for 15 min, then simmer on medium heat for another 30-45min

Makes 4 portions, freeze extra portions and use within a week.

Every day, I'd slightly thaw 1 portion of stock, then put it in the cooker to cook with brown rice.
Very delicious and my boy loves it.

After he started eating rice, I still cook similar stock (different versions depending on available ingredients) and warm it up as his daily soup. Add a bit to his rice or noodles. Then he gulps down the rest. And he loves eating the corn and carrots too.

Happy cooking! :)

fionliu

Hi all mummy thks for all the recipe for cooking porridge but now very headache, she seem to lost interest in drinking milk and eating porridge these one week, when I start her porridge with the way the mummy teach yes she eat without fuss now all her feed including meals need coaxing but eventually she still finish all.is it mean she like it or dun like it? I really dun knw how to let her eat without coaxing so tiring, btw she teething now got 2 teeth come out a bit but not completely? Will it due to teething that why? Shall I change her fm to follow up formulae cos she seem to dislike milk now too .

Mummy to Baby V

Could be due to teething. Try giving her more meals and feeds in smaller portions, instead of spending too much time at one go on feeding. Prevents frustration on baby and Mummy.

Have faith that children won't let themselves go hungry. When they need to eat, they will eat.
For e.g. My toddler had bad diarrhoea and high fever recently. He hardly ate anything for several days and drank only some water & soup. After he was well in one week, his appetite gradually came back. Now he eats as much as before and gained all the weight back.

With this experience, I know truly that it's pointless to keep trying to feed when the child isn't interested at all. As a parent, I do my best to offer him a variety of healthy and interesting food. Then it's up to him to eat them. And when he's truly hungry, he eats super-fast.

Matchsticks

The way I've tried to make tastier but stil healthy porridge is by always combining various foods together that add to taste. Eg. Porridge + Cabbage + Carrots + Minced Chicken (cabbage + carrots are very sweet on their own), OR Porridge + Pumpkin + Minced Meat (pork / chicken) + shredded vegetables like spinach/ bak choy, OR Porridge boiled with fresh small fish (dunno what it's called in singapore cos am living overseas now; but it is NOT dried ikan bilis, best if fresh) + cauliflower + carrots + chicken mince etc etc. The list is endless! I try to have a balanced meal in the porridge (since I"m also eating it & stil breastfeeding) - so there's always one meat, one veg & either carrots / pumpkin / sweet potato or somethg sweet to add to the flavour.

For me personally, I try to buy food that are fresh for baby, no dried / preserved stuff. I don't think ikan bilis or dried scallops are a good idea, cos they contain salt. And for young children, esp those under 1yo, their kidneys aren't ready to handle the salt load yet. But there are so much food that can be combined to make yummy porridge. I always cook more so that my lunch is the same as baby's. I don't even add soya sauce / salt to my portion.

As for portions, i think perserverance is the key. Kids are smart, they won't starve themselves. So don't worry. If they get hungry, they know how to ask for food. Sometimes my girl (who's 8mths old) eats barely a few mouthfuls for lunch, but I'll offer the porridge again at dinner & she'll finish the bowl. So I think sometimes just try again later?

Good luck!

megtan

Recently I bought dried silver fish from Hock Hwa (Fu Hua), it's less salty than ikan bilis. Just rinse and throw a handful into the porridge with other ingredients, makes the porridge sweet and tasty. My son likes it.

fionliu

Recently I bought dried silver fish from Hock Hwa (Fu Hua), it's less salty than ikan bilis. Just rinse and throw a handful into the porridge with other ingredients, makes the porridge sweet and tasty. My son likes it.
Oh isn't then I'm going to get it tomorrow too. Thks