How to prepare myself for breastfeeding?

dflora

When I delivered my first born, I tried to BF him for about a milk. I had to reluctantly give up and turn to FM because my milk supply was very low... only 4 ounces a day even if I diligently tried to BF and pump. I even took milk boosting soups, tea and supplements but it increased only by a pathetic 1 ounce per day... It was not enough to feed my baby.. I was so desperate and felt very sad that I could supply for my son especially when I thought I have big breasts, should have milk..

So now, I am expecting no. 2 and due anytime. I just wish to know what I can do to prepare myself / breasts, to get ready so in time to come, I will have plenty supply of milk... I dont wish to be disappointed again...

Mum2bee

Hihi,I am expecting my lst child but I hv lots of friends who told mi to buy green papaya from the Market and boil with White meat fish.
After drinking that soup ur milk will be like really Really Alot...even my sil told mi tis.maybe u can try :)

Callie

Read books! I got my bf books from kinokuniya and it really save my life.

I sort of followed their instructions mad closely like not to give them formula the moment baby is delivered just because our milk is not here yet, instead we do have colostrum. More stimulation will have the milk come in faster. The lactation consultant praise me when she knew I didn't gave Reverie formula and that I know my facts quite well xD

And also during growth spurt I insist on latching on even thou' I'm like very tired and refuses to give in to formula. I'm glad that I've read that growth spurt is when they drink alot and alot of mummies will assume that they don't have enough milk and gave in to formula.

I brought my book along with me when I deliver. It helps when I'm facing problems so I can just check for solutions. If not, your delivery hospital's consultant should be able to help you =D

And piece of advise, don't even buy your first tin of formula as you would be very likely to give in to it if you intent to be breastfeeding exclusively!

All the best!

paperger85

Hi dflora, did your first baby drink alot? My baby is now 8 months old and every since she was born, I average got only 4 ounces per pumping session and it was enough to last her till now.

Most importantly, you have to latch baby on. Pump only after baby is done drinking as this will tell your body that your baby needs more milk and naturally your body will produce more milk.

kams

1) Don't buy FM at all!

2) Direct latch is the best as it stimulates milk production. No need to pump lah as pumping creates extra work for the mummy, like washing & sterilising of bottles & pumping apparatus, warming up the stored milk.

3) Get more BF friendly clothes/tops/shirts/nursing apron/cover to that you can latch on the baby anywhere, anytime at your convenience.

4) Standby some nipple cream just in case of sore nipples hehe!

Hope the above helps! :)

chiro

Rest more and be happy...and ur milk supply will be plenty...

nutrition wise: drink more water, eat more fish, continue to take fish oil till ur bb is 3mths old

invest in a good breastpump..dun try to save $ like me if you are going back to work...medela freestyle is quiet and its fast...and i think u can even lie down to express ur milk...hehehe

when pumping milk..do not be looking at how much you have pump...

if bb drink not enuff..latch on more often...if ur breasts felt emptied..then u top up with fm after bf...and not the other way round...

how old is your oldest child now? when is ur second one due?

snowbear

Read up more about bfding and prepare yourself mentally. Also, it's very important to not feel stressed about the milk production coz the more you stress yourself over it, the less you will produce.

Try not to give fm at all if possible as that would only worsen the situation as latching on is the best way to stimulate milk production.

If nipples hurt, apply hindmilk on the nipples after the feed. That works better than nipple creams as I have experienced. :)

I nearly gave up bfding at first due to lotsa bfding problems so I totally understand the pain of having to give up bfding because I went through that dilemma. Having said that, I'm on to the third year of bfding already as my gal just turned 2 recently.

Try to persevere this time round but remember, not being to bf doesn't mean you're not a gd mother. :)

All the best!

dflora

Wow. Thank you so much for the replies.

Actually I drank papaya with fish soup every day. My son drank only 2 ounces from the start so he was a small drinker.. Initially he latched on and suckled until he start crying again.. I changed to the other side but also the same thing happened....

I tried feenugreek, milk boosting tea, hot bath, massage, pump every 2-3 hours.... even tried to BF during the nights.. it didnt help at all.

I was diligent and persisted for a month. I told myself more milk supply will come eventually, but it never came. Worst, it became lesser...

I refused to even use FM as supplement until I am really convinced that I have not enough milk supply.. I felt so useless as a mum then... cant even supply for my son...

I heard about prenatal classes that actually teach about BF but it's too late now..

My friend told me that she actually has the same problem for her 1st. She only managed to BF her second kid. I hope I can this time round...