how to prevent sore and crack nipple during BF?

baby pann nu

Hi,
after 2 days I delivered my dear daughter, my nipple started to crack and sore. Whenever I am BF. it's really painful and blood comes out from nipple. I cannot BF her for long and have to supplement with FM. Then I ended up stop giving her breast milk after 2 months due to tiredness and pain. Whenever I think about it, really regretted for not trying hard that time. I am a stay home mum and can be with my baby 24/7 yet I can't breastfeed my baby :-(

Now I'm pregnant with my #2 and will due in July. I'm really really wish to BF my baby this time though my family members are not supportive of Bf esp my MIL. Can anyone suggest me what I can prepare and prevent for the successful breastfeeding this time? my place doesn't have lactation classes or consultants to discuss. I have to rely on nurses in hospital and do it myself after reach home..

thanks

lyra

Sore n cracked nipples are quite common for first time bf moms. Just tell urself to be strong n hang on. After 3 months of bf my baby, my nipples r used to his sucking, pulling, and whatever torture! Lol. Now it doesn't hurt anymore as my nipples r 'seasoned'.
I use nipple cream, rub some breastmilk on the nipples and air dry my nipples at night even though they leak milk. Try not to use a shield that prevents air circulation. Air drying and the breastmilk helps to heal cracked nipples. Baby don't latch very well at first so such problems comes up. Be patient n let baby learn to latch. U can help baby n urself by reading up breastfeeding books like 'successful breastfeeding' by Sister Kang of Mt Avernia. I read that like a bible before my child was born.

ast0212

Keep checking for correct attachment, a lactation consultant can help you with this. I had incorrect latch with my girl which caused grazed nipples. Now you'd think someone who breastfeed for 18 months would get it right the 2nd time around! But once I got the attachment right thanks to all the midwives and lactation consultants, it was a breeze! Also I got some laser treatment on my nipples so not sure if that helped because it was part of some research a uni was doing.

sometimes it could be baby related. Check for tongue tie. My son has mild tongue tie and I did not realise till after he weaned at 18mths. Only then I understood why I had recurring blocked ducts, mastitis, milk blisters and sore nipples! If it had been discovered at birth my journey with him could have been better.

Dreamrat

I am first time mummy. My nipples also sore and crack. They bled too. I applied the nipple cream for one or two days. Then, I just endure and make sure my bb latched on correctly (TCM has expert and free class on bf for delivered mummy).

Now, it is my 22th day of breast feeding. No more sore and crack. But cos of the milk production, my breasts are a bit painful. Once bb starts to drink it, the pain will go away. All the best to u!

I was like u wif my #1 so for my #2, i actually applied nipple cream while pregnant. I took the nipple cream wif me wen i delivered n applied it after every feed. As wat others hv mentioned, request for a lactation consultant to see u while u r staying at the hospital. Wen i was at kkh, the nurses taught me how to massage the breast before bfeeding to open up the ducts. Even tho i didnt request it, a lactation consultant came. I think it's coz i chose for full bfeeding. She actually stayed while i bf n gave some pointers

xiaodaisy

crack n sore nipples might caused by wrong position latching so check ur position time to time

however in the first few wks might have sore nipples due to the sucking fm baby but after that will be fine le , now whenever my girl latch ,i feel ticklish instead LOL !