How to Save Money in High Cost Singapore

BunionSG

Hello Mommies,

Any ways to save money? Hope that we can learn from each other here. The cost of living in Singapore is getting higher and higher. To add on, the transport fares are increasing again:embarrassed:

Let me start by introducing one way i do. I started making my own homemade laundry softener since the beginning of this year. Just by substituting my laundry softeners with a 1/4 cup or a 1/2 cup of vinegar in the laundry softener dispenser gives me really soft, and best of all iron free clothes.

Hope it helps:)

Last edited:

MsKoh1973

we cut cost by eating home cook food. Sometimes, we oso tabao to go out and eat like pinic like tat, for family of 8, if a luxury meal cost abt $10, simple meal could cost abt $3-$5 (eg fried mee).

Our food cost is abt $500 + pm. Think eating at home really saves alot. And I m the v lazy type, so I only cook super simple dishes, eg, roast chicken lah, steam fish, porridge, fried carrot cake etc. I usually try to present my cooked food like "hawker" or "restaurant" style. So far the kids and adults r loving it.

Keylene

we cut cost by eating home cook food. Sometimes, we oso tabao to go out and eat like pinic like tat, for family of 8, if a luxury meal cost abt $10, simple meal could cost abt $3-$5 (eg fried mee).

Our food cost is abt $500 + pm. Think eating at home really saves alot. And I m the v lazy type, so I only cook super simple dishes, eg, roast chicken lah, steam fish, porridge, fried carrot cake etc. I usually try to present my cooked food like "hawker" or "restaurant" style. So far the kids and adults r loving it.

But sometimes when i cook at home, the ingredients i buy at least cost me around $30 for a family 3 without counting in the electricity and water. Isn't it cheaper to eat outside this way? However outside food is filled with lots of msg nowadays, so i try to cook at home as much as possible. The cost of meat and vegetables is raising non stop!
:18:

MsKoh1973

It depends on what u cooking.

For eg today, lunch was
1) black sauce chicken (chc w black sauce and cook in happy call for abt 45 mins on low fire). The chicken was bought fr NTUC, I bought the mid size one at abt $6 ( there r 3 sizes I think, Pasar brand $4.60 / $6 / $6.80).
2) Jap cucumber (3 for $1.55, I used abt 2 so cost abt $1).
3) cai sim with oyster mushroom ( d organic cai sim think is abt $1 after conversion, bought fr JB, canot recall, abt 350 gm, usual non-organic pack fr NTUC shd cost abt the same. The oyster mushroom was fr NTUC, think is $1.10).

So total cost approxly is $6 + $1 + $2.20 = $9.20. I did not include any soup today, usually if I got meat dish, w have simple soup like miso or just egg soup. Today the lunch is for 3 adults and 3 gals (2X 7 yo + 11). Imagine if we eat out, at least $4 X 6 = $24 and may not be filling oso.

I din really include the price of the rice and electricity etc. All these are like "hidden cost".

But when we eat out, now per plate meal is at least $3.50, and if goes with a drink, usually can hit abt $5 per meal. And the meal usually is not tat fillings, just abit of meat here and vege here and there. But if we eat at home, usually can eat until "vomit", heheheh, if u noe what i mean.

Sometimes when I really lazy, I w just cook mushroom sauce spaghetti, a pack of 500 gm NTUC brand spaghetti cost abt $1.50, if pour in the mushroom soup another $1.50. More pp eat, u can cook longer, it w expand. It fill up my whole 28 cm wok, nearly full.

Alternatively, instead of mushroom soup, i put tomato sauce (cheaper than the pasta sauce), then throw in two slices of cheese, one egg and some mixed beans, wow la, tomato suace spaghetti.

The simple spaghetti sauce is only when I really v tire, sian to cook , thats the easier, faster, cheapest I think :).

PS : I usually use frozen fish and chicken. There is no specific to what I cook, sometimes I saw a dish on TV, feel like imitating. Other time I c food / vege on offer I w oso buy some extra to keep.

Last time before I got my Happy call double side pan, I used to buy those roasted chicken fr the supermarket, then buy some cucumber and lettuce, go home can "make chicken rice". hahahhaha

Last edited:
hey thanks, now ive gotten another idea on the methods to cook spaghetti. Didnt know it can be so easy too. will try it out soon!

It depends on what u cooking.

For eg today, lunch was
1) black sauce chicken (chc w black sauce and cook in happy call for abt 45 mins on low fire). The chicken was bought fr NTUC, I bought the mid size one at abt $6 ( there r 3 sizes I think, Pasar brand $4.60 / $6 / $6.80).
2) Jap cucumber (3 for $1.55, I used abt 2 so cost abt $1).
3) cai sim with oyster mushroom ( d organic cai sim think is abt $1 after conversion, bought fr JB, canot recall, abt 350 gm, usual non-organic pack fr NTUC shd cost abt the same. The oyster mushroom was fr NTUC, think is $1.10).

So total cost approxly is $6 + $1 + $2.20 = $9.20. I did not include any soup today, usually if I got meat dish, w have simple soup like miso or just egg soup. Today the lunch is for 3 adults and 3 gals (2X 7 yo + 11). Imagine if we eat out, at least $4 X 6 = $24 and may not be filling oso.

I din really include the price of the rice and electricity etc. All these are like "hidden cost".

But when we eat out, now per plate meal is at least $3.50, and if goes with a drink, usually can hit abt $5 per meal. And the meal usually is not tat fillings, just abit of meat here and vege here and there. But if we eat at home, usually can eat until "vomit", heheheh, if u noe what i mean.

Sometimes when I really lazy, I w just cook mushroom sauce spaghetti, a pack of 500 gm NTUC brand spaghetti cost abt $1.50, if pour in the mushroom soup another $1.50. More pp eat, u can cook longer, it w expand. It fill up my whole 28 cm wok, nearly full.

Alternatively, instead of mushroom soup, i put tomato sauce (cheaper than the pasta sauce), then throw in two slices of cheese, one egg and some mixed beans, wow la, tomato suace spaghetti.

The simple spaghetti sauce is only when I really v tire, sian to cook , thats the easier, faster, cheapest I think :).

PS : I usually use frozen fish and chicken. There is no specific to what I cook, sometimes I saw a dish on TV, feel like imitating. Other time I c food / vege on offer I w oso buy some extra to keep.

Last time before I got my Happy call double side pan, I used to buy those roasted chicken fr the supermarket, then buy some cucumber and lettuce, go home can "make chicken rice". hahahhaha

BunionSG

but going overseas is very expensive too. Nowadays air tickets is getting more and more expensive, you need at least 5k to 10k to bring a family of 3 out:embarrassed: