How to stop breast feeding or pumping?

angeluv

Hi Mummies,

I am exclusive pumping mum and planning to stop pumping soon. Will like to hear some advises on how other mummies stop your milk? I want to do it gradually but wonder how long it takes for milk to dry up so I can plan when to start. Tks!

ice_melody

Depends on what you do. I partial feed for 9 months before I put in the "steps" to stop. Stop by gradually reducing one pump (I'm assuming no more direct bf?) every few days. They say wear tight sports bra around the house helps (never try) but increasing your workout pace during this period "stresses" the body as you ramp the workout so reduces milk. No underwire or you will get clog ducts, not stop the milk. As you gradually reduce the pump one by one every few days, initially may feel a bit full so stretch out a few more days before reducing another pump. Once milk slows down, it stops pretty fast. Think I took 2 weeks but I was not doing direct feeding for 9 months by then.

angeluv

I'm thinking of starting by removing my evening pump session but I had block ducts before easily so I'm afraid it will come bk if I skip pumping. Now when I don't pump more than 6hrs my breasts feel v full alrdy. Or will they auto get used to the fullness and this feeling will gradually go away? I heard abt applying cold cabbage does it work?