How to store bm while travelling?

nana2014

Hi Mummies,

I am going travelling in Sep, just wonder how to store bm while travelling? And how am i going to pump while in airplane?

meng

Hi,
How long is your flight? If possible, try to time pumping before and after your flight, rather than inflight. I say this because the only possible place will be in the toilet, and that's not the most ideal place as you can imagine. Or you can try asking the cabin crew if they can draw the curtains for you at the aisles but i won't bet on that.

For storing breast milk, try asking the hotel/venue you are staying if they could freeze the breast milk for you. Then when you are about to leave, pack the fbm into cooler bags to bring on board. I actually checked mine into the big luggage. It came back still in good shape. But you must pack it well and tight and completed insulated.

If the flight is too long, it may not be practical to transport the fbm back. But dont't stop pumping. Just pump and throw, so as to keep the milk supply stable. If you find it a waste, you can always use it for self consumption!

HTH.

Hi Mummies,

I am going travelling in Sep, just wonder how to store breast milk while travelling? And how am i going to pump while in airplane?

which countries are you travelling to. please do checked in the breastmilk. i have problems clearing custom for the ice gel pack. lucky i did checked in the breastmilk instead. korea custom is very very strict , even though i explained why i need the gel pack on board.

i did pump on board flight. i chose window seat, and after pumping, i request to store in their freezer. but the steward told me he need to check if they have any extra dry ice or not. but overall, good experience with SIA to and fro. i pump with big blanket covering me up.

patsie

When I was traveling with LO last year to Australia, I had with me bottles of EBM meant for feeding in a on-the-go fridge.

I did pump while on board the flight as I needed to pump every 4 hours and my flight duration was 7 hours. (I used the BF cover while I was pumping)

In general, I noticed if you have LO with you, immigration generally won't give you grief on the EBM and the ice pack.

diza

When you travel without a baby, customs may or may not allow you to carry EBM on flight and gel packs are not allowed either. What I did was to pack a small cooler box (those camping type) and put two 1L gel packs. Daiso sells gel packs up to 1L. Since I was very kiasu, I even lined it with newspaper coz I read somewhere that it's a good insulator. Then I tape the edges with masking tape. I put the cooler box inside my luggage and checked it in. To my surprise, the ice pack was very cold and slightly frozen even after more than 10 hours!!

nana2014

When you travel without a baby, customs may or may not allow you to carry EBM on flight and gel packs are not allowed either. What I did was to pack a small cooler box (those camping type) and put two 1L gel packs. Daiso sells gel packs up to 1L. Since I was very kiasu, I even lined it with newspaper coz I read somewhere that it's a good insulator. Then I tape the edges with masking tape. I put the cooler box inside my luggage and checked it in. To my surprise, the ice pack was very cold and slightly frozen even after more than 10 hours!!
Many thanks for sharing!