How to unclog clogged milk ducts?

Gif

I know massaging n heat pads works, but I have massaged till my fingers are numbed. It feels like the nerves in fingers are affected, making my fingers weak with no strength to carry baby. Even after massage, I still feel lumps in breast. After pumping for thirty minutes, the breast doesn't feel emptied, yet I only have 30 or 20 after pumping...

malibu

Is the lump very painful as and when or not even touching it? if not is just your milk gland, try latching on your baby.

kinkybaby

Babe, from my experience nothing (heat pad, hot towel, cold cabbage etc) works as best as baby latching on directly to clear the blocked ducts. As what pple say, babies are the best pumps in the world! :)

I pump on regular intervals but will still get blocked ducts / engorgement on and off, so will get baby to latch on during those difficult times :)

Gif

Oh, I thought the pump is stronger than baby latching, ESP baby usually suck for a short time ot enough to empty the breast. Didn't know baby is more effective!

Malibu, the lumps not painful.

ast0212

Babies are most certainly more efficient than pumps :)

Does it hurt when baby latches on? Have you checked for any small white spot on the nipple? Sometimes they can be really small and hard to see, so best to look under a bright light.

Also try using something that vibrates to massage as that can help loosen the milk in the ducts.. electric toothbrush, or massager....

Meanwhile, latch baby on as often as possible to get the milk out.

If the lumps are not causing any pain or discomfort and they feel soft and breasts not feeling full, then they could just be your milk ducts as Malibu pointed out :)

Gif

Babies are most certainly more efficient than pumps :)

Does it hurt when baby latches on? Have you checked for any small white spot on the nipple? Sometimes they can be really small and hard to see, so best to look under a bright light.

Also try using something that vibrates to massage as that can help loosen the milk in the ducts.. electric toothbrush, or massager....

Meanwhile, latch baby on as often as possible to get the milk out.

If the lumps are not causing any pain or discomfort and they feel soft and breasts not feeling full, then they could just be your milk ducts as Malibu pointed out :)
Oh, massager! i din think of that, what a good idea! My nipples hurt even when not feeding or pumping, esp when touched by clothes or when i use by towel after bathing. So end up i sleep topless as much as i can, even though i know its not good during confinement.

felicity

Oh, I thought the pump is stronger than baby latching, ESP baby usually suck for a short time ot enough to empty the breast. Didn't know baby is more effective!

Malibu, the lumps not painful.
i believe our breasts are by nature made to be suckled by babies and not by pumps... so no matter how strong the pumps are, they can never imitate the suckling of a real baby... also from my prenatal class, yes, babies are the best pumps!

malibu

Guess your nipples are crack, apply some nipples cream or some of your breast milk every time when you have finish latching or pumping , hope it will get better ya.

pmcheng

How long did it take to unblock the ducts? I've been using hot compress and making baby latch but my lump is still there. It's smaller in size than some days ago, but still there. I'm worried it may become worse if I don't clear it within a week.