How to wean bb off the breast?

blackpiggy

I'm trying to wean my boy off the breast during the day. But so far every time I tried it failed. He refuses the bottle and cry like we tortured him if we don't latch him on, nothing distract him or soothes him. I also doubt I have much milk, usually when I pump when he's in infant care its only 100ml to 150ml... so I'm afraid he don't really get a lot to drink when I latch him on during the weekends. I've also tried sippy cup, straw cups, even adult mugs and spoon feeding, he just don't want. Day weaning already so difficult, can't image his before bed and night feeds (>.<")
Any mummies with similar experience? How you get through this??

lyra

Hi! U try letting other ppl bottle feed him while u walk far away or go out. Sometimes baby smell or know mummy is there to feed him from breast, he'll refuse bottle n want breastfeeding.

blackpiggy

I've let my hubby and mum tried before, and I hid in the room, but he still refuses. I think maybe he's big enough to know that I'm somewhere around in the house.
Never try going out though, my hubby gives up quite quickly and he actually said to wean him off milk altogether since he doesn't really wanna drink in infant care as well (teachers have to spoon feed him most times) =.=" .
for my mom its the same, if my boy dunwan milk, she'll feed him barley water, green bean soup etc etc, end up no appetite for milk, so I need to stay in the house to make sure my boy really does drink milk... (>.<)
sometimes really considering to wean him off milk since he's so uninterested, but I'm afraid he won't have his calcium since he is allergy to dairy products like yogurt and cheese.

lyra

Yes, calcium is very impt. Maybe u want to try soy milk? Maybe he prefers the taste?

I've let my hubby and mum tried before, and I hid in the room, but he still refuses. I think maybe he's big enough to know that I'm somewhere around in the house.
Never try going out though, my hubby gives up quite quickly and he actually said to wean him off milk altogether since he doesn't really wanna drink in infant care as well (teachers have to spoon feed him most times) =.=" .
for my mom its the same, if my boy dunwan milk, she'll feed him barley water, green bean soup etc etc, end up no appetite for milk, so I need to stay in the house to make sure my boy really does drink milk... (>.<)
sometimes really considering to wean him off milk since he's so uninterested, but I'm afraid he won't have his calcium since he is allergy to dairy products like yogurt and cheese.

JazN

is he also allergic to milk i.e. you need to feed him soy milk powder? Do check with your pediatrician/family doc.

You need to try slowly wean him off, drop 1 milk feed at a time. Since baby is ok feeding with a spoon ask your hubby to use the same. My daughter dont't like drinking from bottle so we also use a spoon to feed, then suddenly one day she drinks from the bottle probably also because she sees my nephew feeds from bottle too.

Feeding needs to take patience. dont't come out just because you feel hubby can't manage. Stay in the room & your hubby feeds baby in high chair if via spoon. Few times baby will reject but do try again.

yu021984

I think you put something in your nipple, taste not for baby. i think when he can taste this, he don't like latch on.