hubby's career change

flyaway

:elvis:Hubby changed his career from employed sales to self employed sales solely based on commission. Though his timing in the morning are more flexible so that he can fetch the kids to school but the income generated is not sufficient for his monthly expenses. He hope he will have a break through in his career after the switch. Seemed that it's not progressing what get wanted. He hope I can be supportive until his break through. I dont't know how long should I give him? It's been half a year and I am worried for our financial resources. I dont't have too much to last another half year plus I feel like quitting my stressful job by beginning of next year. Look like I need to hold onto my thoughts first.:embarrassed:

worrying over finances, and upset over job search.

Hmm..I also am stressed out over my job search.can't seem to be able to get a decent paying job. Also worry about the finances as well and hope I get a job soon.

Flyaway: I'm going through the same situation as you..... My hubby just changed to a job which based solely on commission too, ever since he has not much time for me, as he work till 12/1am at night. After im pregnant I've quitted my job of 4k per month (beauty consultant) and changed to work as admin instead, due to the previous job wasn't really ideal to have during pregnancy I deemed. Becos at that period my hubby also earning 4k so I'm thinking shouldn't be a problem.... But things don't always go the way we want! Had some problems so no choice he has to quit his job..... Ever since that he's been changing job very frequently. And now he's not really earning even enough for his own expenses, every month we are struggling to make ends meet! This is really tough. My edd is on dec.... I've decided to go back to my previous job after I done with confinement. I regretted quitting that job in the first place!

I can understand how you feel..... I talked to my hub I told him i know how much achievement your company can provide you, but looking at the reality side, if it's not benefitting you then you just not meant to be. So I told him I give him another 2 months to strive for it. He agreed. So I believe you should talk to your hub! But don't let him feel that you're blaming/despising him, tell him how much you want him to succeed too.

Hi Flyaway,

Being torn between supporting your husband and thinking of your family's financial stability is such a pain in the neck. Your husband though might have all the best intention, but he should always prioritize the welfare of your family, most especially of your kids. You are right to support him, but of course, supporting him unconditionally is just as bad as not supporting him at all. There are times that we have to be honest to our husbands about up to what extent we can support them, especially if our family's welfare is at stake.

Again this boils down to communication. Tell your husband about all of your worries if in case his business will not boom. He for sure with the right approach will understand. But of course, keeping a positive mindset that everything will work together for good should always be at bay.

Good luck!

-Sarah

Last edited:

Dreamwish

I am facing the same situation. Ever since he quit his job, he has been changing jobs ever now and then.. He wants m support but how long? One year passed, how many years more? I feel so stress not only because of this, even since this started, he totally ignore our kids n of course me... I feel he is so much useless now... Sorry for feelingthat way, that is what he been giving me.. I keep thinking of divorcing him sincehe is as of no help to this family... Pls note, he keeps me away from most.of his things.. To him, I am just a nobody...

flyaway

The resentment that hubby is not contributing to the bread for the house is getting stronger. I would pick on him on every little thing. How? His ego will get bruise if I were to ask him get a full-time job. But the fact that the results (money) is not coming in makes me angry. Sometimes, I need to lend him money to tide him over or seeing so thrifty just made me wonder how long this needs to go on? Is a right move to quit the damn stressful job of mine after getting bonus? I had to hang on this job because he is not bringing the income. It's coming to a year and I think I had enough of hanging on. It should be his responsibility to bring home the bread now

quincy1986

i tell myself that i need to come to terms with the fact that i may be the one who need to support my family.
so i may need to say bye bye to the luxury of shopping every now and then with my hubby working.
the fact is salary might decrease as age increases.
and since i am much younger than my hubby, i need to start learning to save and quit learning about enjoying.
of course if the day do come, i do hope i can have a balanced life which i believe is not easy of course.