I dont want to die of pain...

Jenny Chia

Hello,

Has anybody done prepregnancy screening before? I planning to get pregnant, but like to have a womb check up first, heard that gynae will insert something into vaginal in order to check thoroughly? Is it a scary and painful process? I have been delaying for many months just because i scared of pain, and it's very stressful for me being in clinic and waiting for result....

Maybe I m too timid, because I hardly visit doctor, the gadgets for health screening look very scary, maybe I can never conceive because of this pshycology problem...

Can anyone share her prepregnancy experience with me here?

athanmiddleton

They called it Papsmear. I was undergo papsmear just last year. I was married at the late age of 29 that is why it is very hard for me to conceive. My OB suggest me to do the process of Papsmear in order to know if i can conceive as well as to find out if i am prone to cervical cancer. I got a negative result and it helps me conceived fast. Now i am pregnant and ready for the delivery this coming January 2012. I suggest you to take papsmear as well it's for your own good. When they do the process all i can suggest is take a deep breath, it will help a lot and this process only take 2 minutes or 3. It won't take too long ;)

Do you have regular menses? Any problems that you already have e.g. spotting?

for woman's routine checkup. they would usually perform
1. u/s on uterus (non-invasive)
2. pap smear if you're not virgin.

pap smear is painful for some but not for others.

For me, it is painful. I was "forced" to undergo pap smear because i have spotting during my early stage of pregnancy.

My tears fall and i kept yelling that "it's painful"

But it's over and i overcome it. More of these invasive checks to come when giving birth in few months time. >_<

Hello,

Has anybody done prepregnancy screening before? I planning to get pregnant, but like to have a womb check up first, heard that gynae will insert something into vaginal in order to check thoroughly? Is it a scary and painful process? I have been delaying for many months just because i scared of pain, and it's very stressful for me being in clinic and waiting for result....

Maybe I m too timid, because I hardly visit doctor, the gadgets for health screening look very scary, maybe I can never conceive because of this pshycology problem...

Can anyone share her prepregnancy experience with me here?

Jenny Chia

Hi,

Thank you for sharing, your info is very useful and precious to me, but I m not pregnant yet, still need to do papsmear? Is it an invasive test? Do you have any good Gynae to introduce?

I m happy to hear that you got pregnant successfully, I guess you may be in early 30, still young and u will be fine, congratulations mother to be! :)

Anyway, I feel more confident after you encourage me and sharing of experience, like to send you all the best wishes to you and your family.

Best regards!

Jenny Chia

Hi Miniclaire,

I m not yet pregnant and dont have spotting or any other problems that are obvious. But I thought it's safer to do some prepregnancy screening...

I thought first trimester check out is called ultrasound scan and non invasive? only scan on surface of belly?

Sorry, I m totally new here and no experience at all....

hanaabi

Hi Jenny,

I'll highly recommend you my gynae, Prof Chong Yap Seng from NUH. I work in the birthing field and I can tell you that it is only with him that you can ensure that you're in safe hands.

Pap smear is a necessary check up for women after we become sexually active. I just done mine with him last week. It's relatively quick and I didn't feel much.

As for pregnancy and birth, he only do the necessary and nothing more. I took special lessons for childbirth and my labor wasn't painful at all. :)

hanaabi

Do you have regular menses? Any problems that you already have e.g. spotting?

for woman's routine checkup. they would usually perform
1. u/s on uterus (non-invasive)
2. pap smear if you're not virgin.

pap smear is painful for some but not for others.

For me, it is painful. I was "forced" to undergo pap smear because i have spotting during my early stage of pregnancy.

My tears fall and i kept yelling that "it's painful"

But it's over and i overcome it. More of these invasive checks to come when giving birth in few months time. >_<
miniClaire,

By invasive checks I presume you mean the vaginal examinations?

You should really read these since you're going to have your baby soon.

What's a Pushed Birth and How to Avoid Having One
The Truth about the Use of Pain Relief Drugs during labor
What the Medical Providers Are Not Telling You - How Some Maternity Care Practices Will Do You Harm

i don't want to scare you. But I, like you,were scare of such things but nevertheless, i still went through these "challenges" under no choice.

I was given vaginal ultrasound when i went for my first gyn visit to confirm my pregnancy. That was like the second day of my missed period. It was still v.early stage of pregnancy and the sac/yolk cannot be seen. I was later sent to KKH for even more detailed checkup as gyn suspected there could be ectopic pregnancy. A total of 4 invasive checks in a day. Each time was as painful as hell. Something like a cold skewer sharpness being pierced into. I told myself to relax but each time, is still as painful as previous. But once the equipment was inserted, the pain was gone.

Prior to that I have vaginal ultrasound before marriage due to spotting issue. The pain was too much that my body jerked uncontrollably and the gyn had to aborted the check. It was a dramatic experience! However, most of my friends do not feel the pap smear is painful. just abit of discomfort T_T

So you should not be scared. You may belong to 80% of the population that feel pap smear is nothing. :)

If you don't have any spotting or irregular period or pcos or miscarriage before, it should be fine. Based on my experiences, you could expect the gyn would probably :
1) ask you about your history on family
2) perform uterus ultrasound (scan on belly)
3) perform pap smear (if you are not virgin)

blood test (if you go for pre-marital health screening, check defects such as Thalassaemia Major)
My hubby and I went for health screening before marriage. You may want to read up from here: deluxe premarital health screening package and health check services

Hi Miniclaire,

I m not yet pregnant and dont have spotting or any other problems that are obvious. But I thought it's safer to do some prepregnancy screening...

I thought first trimester check out is called ultrasound scan and non invasive? only scan on surface of belly?

Sorry, I m totally new here and no experience at all....

miniClaire,

By invasive checks I presume you mean the vaginal examinations?

You should really read these since you're going to have your baby soon.

What's a Pushed Birth and How to Avoid Having One
The Truth about the Use of Pain Relief Drugs during labor
What the Medical Providers Are Not Telling You - How Some Maternity Care Practices Will Do You Harm
Yes vaginal ultrasound. I went to visit gyn too early (around 3-4 weeks). She could not find any sac from belly ultrasound. So need to perform invasive check for a clearer view.

All in all, the scans were not conclusive and i need to wait for few more weeks to confirm it's not ectopic.

That interesting links you have! Have you shared your personal birth/labour experience on forum? I want to read about it! it sure will help many of us :)

Jenny Chia

Thank u hanaabi,

A million thanks to you, your info is very helpful to me, will make appointment with him asap.

May you and family always showered with happiness and lot of blessings.

Jenny Chia

You're welcome Jenny. Have you seen Prof Chong?

I'm seeing him for my second pregnancy now. :)
Hello, thanks for sharing, I will visit Prof Chong if I really get pregnant, recently I have done my pap smear at polyclinic near my place.

Congratulations! I feel happy for you, may your 2nd baby bring you lot of joys and happiness!!

hanaabi

Yes vaginal ultrasound. I went to visit gyn too early (around 3-4 weeks). She could not find any sac from belly ultrasound. So need to perform invasive check for a clearer view.

All in all, the scans were not conclusive and i need to wait for few more weeks to confirm it's not ectopic.

That interesting links you have! Have you shared your personal birth/labour experience on forum? I want to read about it! it sure will help many of us :)
Hi miniClaire,

You can read about our birth story here. It's written by daddy. :001_302:

Enjoy!

hanaabi

Hello, thanks for sharing, I will visit Prof Chong if I really get pregnant, recently I have done my pap smear at polyclinic near my place.

Congratulations! I feel happy for you, may your 2nd baby bring you lot of joys and happiness!!
You've gotten your pap smear done. That's great!

Thank you Jenny! :001_302: I'm having twins!

Jenny Chia

Hi hanaabi,

After few months of failure, I am very eager to conceive because I am now 32, my menses is very irregular also. I am thinking of visiting Prof.Chong from NUH. What remedy he prescribes usually? is ovulation pills effective? our latest sexual activity was 2 weeks ++ ago, now menses is very late, but my pregnancy test is still negative, should I wait a little bit longer?

I am very eager to conceive, may i know what number to call for making appointment?

Thank u!