Induce Birth

diza

Actually if u plan to BF, then just let baby latch. Expressing is not as effective as direct latching. Furthermore, ur baby might have nipple confusion. I opted for TBF and they only fed my boy FM once and that was thru cup feeding. Direct latching also helps to establish ur supply faster. My boy was with me throughout my stay and he didn't sleep in the nursery. So it was easier for me to nurse him. At KKH, they don't have specific brands..

joeytly

Actually if u plan to BF, then just let baby latch. Expressing is not as effective as direct latching. Furthermore, ur baby might have nipple confusion. I opted for TBF and they only fed my boy FM once and that was thru cup feeding. Direct latching also helps to establish ur supply faster. My boy was with me throughout my stay and he didn't sleep in the nursery. So it was easier for me to nurse him. At KKH, they don't have specific brands..
I plan to pump n store as I going back to work after my confinement don't wanna let her have a habit of latch on..

If that's the case then suggest that u latch first until your supply is established. This is because not everybody respond well to the pump and you may get demoralized when u see your pumping volume not being able to match her demand. You can start to pump after latch maybe once a day at the beginning. Pumping vol will be low unless u are oversupply type. To help your daughter get used to bottle feed u can intro 1 bottle a day when bb is 6 weeks. You can increase the number of bottle feed closer to your return to work date. Also after u return to work it will be easier to maintain supply if u can latch at night and on the weekend.

joeytly

If that's the case then suggest that u latch first until your supply is established. This is because not everybody respond well to the pump and you may get demoralized when u see your pumping volume not being able to match her demand. You can start to pump after latch maybe once a day at the beginning. Pumping vol will be low unless u are oversupply type. To help your daughter get used to bottle feed u can intro 1 bottle a day when bb is 6 weeks. You can increase the number of bottle feed closer to your return to work date. Also after u return to work it will be easier to maintain supply if u can latch at night and on the weekend.
Alright! Thanks! Mummies is it possible for us to pump and store milk supply before I'm giving birth in 3 weeks time?

Do not do that. I think will be dangerous. Pumping will stimulate the release of oxytocin which will cause your uterus to contract. In fact after u deliver the bb, the doctor will inject oxytocin in u to deliver placenta.

diza

Yah.. Don't pump.. Stimulation can cause contractions.. What I did was to intro bottle feeding when my boy was 2 weeks old but only fed through bottle once a day.. The rest of the time was direct latch.. After latching, I express to trick my body into producing more.. If I'm not tired, latch on one side and express on the other coz when baby feeds on one side, the other side will leak so might as well express out. I started my milk bank abt 1.5 mths before I started work. I just froze abt 1 to 2 milk bags a day. By the time my ML ended, I have 3 litres of frozen EBM every day.

Last edited:

joeytly

Cause im only intend to rest till she 2 months then ill go back to work. Hopefully there will be enough milk by then! ><

diza

U r not utilizing the full ML? Or breaking it up? Anyway, the supply will always be there IF u persevere... BF can be very tiring at first and some mommies gave up coz they prefer the easier way out which is to give FM and let someone else feed the baby at night. I almost gave up coz I just couldn't wake up during night feeds. But once u give FM, u have to be prepared that u are telling ur body u don't need a lot of supply. And sometimes ur baby may want to latch regularly for comfort and not because of hunger. U can try giving pacifier but I didn't coz i want to boost my supply. This can be exhausting too.. So if u are really determined to fully BF, persevere is the key and support from family members too. Some family members can really be harsh and give u pressure by saying ur milk is not enough, so baby keeps crying.. Actually the more u latch, supply will increase. Just relax and don't stress out. Try to have naps when baby is sleeping coz need rest too in order to have more supply.

joeytly

U r not utilizing the full ML? Or breaking it up? Anyway, the supply will always be there IF u persevere... BF can be very tiring at first and some mommies gave up coz they prefer the easier way out which is to give FM and let someone else feed the baby at night. I almost gave up coz I just couldn't wake up during night feeds. But once u give FM, u have to be prepared that u are telling ur body u don't need a lot of supply. And sometimes ur baby may want to latch regularly for comfort and not because of hunger. U can try giving pacifier but I didn't coz i want to boost my supply. This can be exhausting too.. So if u are really determined to fully BF, persevere is the key and support from family members too. Some family members can really be harsh and give u pressure by saying ur milk is not enough, so baby keeps crying.. Actually the more u latch, supply will increase. Just relax and don't stress out. Try to have naps when baby is sleeping coz need rest too in order to have more supply.
I don't have ML as I not working previously! I just graduated not long! I'm only 22 years old this year :) that why I wanna pump n store for her!! ^^

Like what diza says it will not be easy but with perseverance u will be able to do it. Since u only have 2 months u must be extremely hard working right from the start as u dont have 4 mth to slowly build your supply. U may want to borrow some books on bf to better prepare yourself. Also during your ward stay make sure u get the nurses to help u with latch on. Seek help early once u experience difficulties. Jiayou!

parent2013:819389 said:
Anyone with no dilation and need to induce as almost 40weeks?
Me.. my bb was induced at 40 weeks on edd. But end up emergency c sect coz even with induction I didn't dilate and bb was having drop in heartbeat.. had to take her out in case distress.

skt

I am now in my 39 weeks and still no sign of contraction and dilation. Gynae told me if by the 40th week still no sign, she will have to induce me. :embarrassed:
I am pretty scared about it.

Zoey Kasey

If that's the case then suggest that you latch first until your supply is established. This is because not everybody respond well to the pump and you may get demoralized when you see your pumping volume not being able to match her demand. You can start to pump after latch maybe once a day at the beginning. Pumping vol will be low unless you are oversupply type. To help your daughter get used to bottle feed you can intro 1 bottle a day when baby is 6 weeks. You can increase the number of bottle feed closer to your return to work date. Also after you return to work it will be easier to maintain supply if you can latch at night and on the weekend.

My experience is the opposite actually. I believed that pumping helped to establish my supply after about a mth of almost no milk supply. When I started pumping diligently with a double electric pump, my supply started increasing up to the point i could freeze 3-4 packs of 90 ml of milk a day. But i agree its very stressful to pump and not see much output, you just need to hang in there and have faith. Also, you need to massage as you are pumping, google Stanford University Breastfeeding videos and you will see the difference in output for some of their participants involved in their pumping exercises.